The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 6, 2019, 01:02 PM   #1
armednfree

Good day with the Springfield.

I got a new Springfield Armory Range Master. Out of the box the trigger was a bit gritty, not unexpected.

I had a can of about 200-230 grain cast bullets, tumble lubed with 5.1 grains of 231. I know what it is even though I loaded them 7 years ago since that is the only load I've used in two decades. No need to mess with success. Groups were good and got better as the trigger wore in. There must have been a tiny burr as it seemed that the grit left all at once. I mean in like two mags it was there and all of a sudden it wasn't.

Yesterday I fired H+G 215 grain semi-wadcutters powder coated with Harbor Freight red. At 25 yards I fired a number of 5 shot groups at around 2-2-1/2 inches at 25 yards. I was solid on my game yesterday. That is something that seems to happen less and less often as I get older.

Good gun I'd say, not really as good as my Clarke heavy slide, but I don't expect it to be. I've done 1-1/4 inch with that heavy slide at 25 yards but that was years ago with younger eyes, stronger hands that didn't shake like they do now.
Old January 6, 2019, 02:03 PM   #2
cw308

I'm there with age also same problems , still love shooting . Glad to hear your new addition to the collection fired well . I picked up a Colt New Agent in 45 ACP a few years back it's one of those 3" jobs but the little guy is so much fun to shoot I can't put it down , came with CT Laser grips , was a first for me . Good Luck with it , nice when things work out . Be Well.

Chris