The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2017, 07:50 PM   #26
mr bolo

CZ75

If they didnt have all these anti gun laws / ammo laws in CA

I would have bought one , I always wanted one of these myself

but since the ammo is going to be a problem, I wont buy any new guns.
Old December 27, 2018, 09:34 PM   #27
cslinger

Thought I would post a followup report.

A year and a half later still two and half pounds of AWESOME!!

About a year and a half ago I was in a crappy mood and needed to go to my safe space. Twenty minutes later I was walking out of the gun store with a CZ-75 SP01 that I had bought on impulse. You didn't see many of these locally and the price was right and............and.....don't judge me its my safe space dammit!!

Anyway I gave my initial thoughts back then and thought I would check back in.

Now as always I must preface by saying I am none of the following....
-LEO
-SWAT team member
-Secret Squirrel
-OGA Assassin
-Meat eating, tango popping, beard having special operations fast roper.
-Scout leader

Nor did I spend the night in a Holiday Inn Express shoot house last night. I am a high drag, low speed hobbyist who knows a little about a lot and a lot about a little. My moral code has a pesky provision about never wanting to harm anything that had a mom so I don't tend to look at my firearms primarily as WEAPONS.

So with that out of the way....

I am happy to report the SP01 is still all kinds of AWESOME. It's like wielding Perun's Hammer, so to speak. ;D.

I have run all kinds of ammo through it with not one issue. Hollowpoints, +P, 115 grain target grade stuff and it never misses a beat. I will say I have not run any steel cased as I tend to avoid that stuff in general unless its going in something Russian, designed for peasants.

Shooting the SP01 is sublime. Its almost cheating frankly. The weight, the ergonomics of the grip, decent trigger, low bore axis all come together to make the most inept look fairly passable. I should know because I am inept and I can do this without any real thought.

So long story, still long I have found the CZ-75 SP01 to be a pretty amazing pistol. If you find yourself in need a of pistol to repel boarders, that holds damn near a box of ammo and shoots like a .22 magnum you could do a helluva lot worse. If you have a need for a gun that makes you feel like a superstar at the range....I think you could do a whole lot worse.

A whole generation of shooters have grown up with tactical tupperware. Lightweight plastic guns spooged out into all kinds of shapes, sizes and colors. These guns are all fantastic and I have nothing against pragmatic plastic but if you have never picked up and shot a full size all steel pistol, do yourself a favor and skip the next Glock model that gets easy baked out and make your next purchase something that is quickly falling into the lost reaches of time, I think you will be happy you did.

Hell I liked it so much........

Take care and shoot safe,
Chris
Old December 30, 2018, 10:22 AM   #28
FairWarning

That "obsolete" Cold War gun in next on my Must Have List!

I disagree with the OP's ratings on Value and Ergo, however. I think it deserves an easy 5 for both. I can't think of a gun that feels more "right" in my hands, and for less than $550 new if you look around? Get outta here!

And if you want a killer carry gun, the P-01 version is available. I think of the SP-01 as one of the ultimate duty/zombie/home defense wunder nines. I'll take the decocker model, in black of course, thank you very much.
Old December 30, 2018, 10:42 AM   #29
2wheelwander

PCR owner here and echo the above. This gun 'wears' me as much as I 'wear' it. Grips and aim just fits me. Again, feels like cheating!

I never bought into the SP-01 just because I'm not buying into a rail for EDC. A comfortable conceal holster that accommodates a rail light is nearly impossible, and I'm just not tacti-cool enough to make that happen (not bashing any ones decisions here). However, if I found an SP-01 with a NATO mark, I'd snag it.
Old December 30, 2018, 11:52 AM   #30
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelwander View Post
PCR owner here and echo the above. This gun 'wears' me as much as I 'wear' it. Grips and aim just fits me. Again, feels like cheating!

I never bought into the SP-01 just because I'm not buying into a rail for EDC. A comfortable conceal holster that accommodates a rail light is nearly impossible, and I'm just not tacti-cool enough to make that happen (not bashing any ones decisions here). However, if I found an SP-01 with a NATO mark, I'd snag it.
The holster for a P-01 is barely different than that for a PCR and I've noticed no difference in comfort personally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 30, 2018, 12:07 PM   #31
2wheelwander

Sorry TunnelRay, I meant actually mounting a light on that rail and using that set up for EDC. Bedside gun, great. But I've not seen many concealed carry holsters accommodating weapon mounted lights on those rails.

Just too bulky for me. I can see the same holster fitting both guns, but if I'm not/can't utilize a weapon mounted light for my EDC, I'm prefer a standard dust cover, not a rail. Plus IMHO its just nicer looking.
Old December 30, 2018, 12:48 PM   #32
TunnelRat

Ah gotcha. There are a few more compact lights these days such as the Inforce APL-C, Olight Mini Valkyrie, Streamlight TLR-7, and Surefire XC1-b. These are small enough that I don't think they'd be problematic for carrying as they don't add much bulk to the pistol. I have some holsters in the way to test that out for myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk