The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 26, 2017, 09:53 PM   #26
roashooter

Quote:
.45 Colt is better than .44 Special in every way.
if thats true...why do all the pros respect the 44 for its accuracy...and never mention the 45 colt?
Quote:
Quote:
"The .44 S. & W. Special is simply a longer version of the .44 Russian, throwing the same bullet at the same velocity. It is inherently more accurate than any other pistol cartridge that I have fired, as loaded by the ammunition factories. This trait can be improved upon by handloading. Therein lies its fascination." -Skeeter Skelton
http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt44spec.htm

http://www.darkcanyon.net/The%2044%2...er%20Keith.htm

Quote:
In 1927 I abandoned the .45 Colt for my own use in favor of the .44 Special, and have seen no reason to change back. I soon found that I could load much more powerful cartridges for the .44 Special than for any other revolver. Elmer Kieth

Last edited by roashooter; June 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old June 26, 2017, 09:57 PM   #27
Model12Win

Quote:
That's easy...Revolvers prefer a rimmed cartridge.
+1

Also, the .44 Special can be had with factory loads with bullets with large meplats designed for revolvers, not autos, as well as full and semi wadcutter loads and a wide range of effective and devastating hollow point ammo. .45 ACP is limited to what will feed in an auto.

Also, the .45 Pitbulls are wider than the .44 Bulldogs. Not by much but the Bulldog is the more concealable option. Cylinder thickness is the most important thing for revolver concealability and it's just a thinner gun over the fatter .45 Pitbull, no way around that.

Also, try and get an effective speedloader for the Pitbull. You can use a 1911 mag for a reload I guess but the .44 is going to be much easier to reload with a proper speedloader or speed strip.

Add all that in, and the .44 Bulldog is a MUCH, MUCH better defensive revolver over the Pitbulls. That being said for recreational use the .45 ACP Pitbull has the edge in cheaper factory ammo and the slower reload speed doesn't really matter for recreational use. But when reloaded the .44 is just as cheap if not cheaper than factory .45 ACP, especially if you cast.
Old June 26, 2017, 10:06 PM   #28
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I agree, but I've long given up on somebody coming out with a 5 shot .45 Colt snubbie that is not also a .410
Old June 26, 2017, 10:13 PM   #29
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by roashooter View Post
if thats true...why do all the pros respect the 44 for its accuracy...and never mention the 45 colt?

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt44spec.htm
Might want to read that quote again. It says "as loaded by the ammunition factories."
I would imagine that .44 spl and .45 colt, handloaded, have the same accuracy.
Old June 26, 2017, 10:20 PM   #30
Cheapshooter

Quote:
And is NOT the 45ACP being mentioned in this thread, nor chambered in any of the Charter Arms revolvers mentioned as well.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 26, 2017, 10:27 PM   #31
roashooter

Quote:
I would imagine that .44 spl and .45 colt, handloaded, have the same accuracy.

Last edited by roashooter; June 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old June 26, 2017, 10:38 PM   #32
roashooter

all my 44 specials ARE hand loaded....much more accurate than factory...I have much higher quality control

Last edited by roashooter; June 26, 2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old June 26, 2017, 11:50 PM   #33
TruthTellers

ROA, while I like and respect accuracy from a gun, I don't expect something that's going to be shot offhand, with factory ammo (cuz Massad Ayoob says handloads r a no no), under stress, at distances of 3 to 15 yards is going to make much difference compared to groups tighter by an inch during a calm, relaxed range session, with .44 handloads.

Even if the .44 is markedly better, it would just make me want to train harder to get better and as good as possible with the .45

Call me a masochist, call me inexperienced, but I'm not bothering with another cartridge that I would have to reload to get the most out of it. I don't mind and actually want to reload the .45 Colt or ACP because I have guns already that shoot it, even if they're not the size of the Bulldog.

Again, I like the Bulldog revolver and I think .44 Special is nice, but it's not my cup of tea.
Old June 27, 2017, 02:56 AM   #34
roashooter

Quote:
call me inexperienced,
ok
Old June 27, 2017, 01:01 PM   #35
chaim

Quote:
I agree, but I've long given up on somebody coming out with a 5 shot .45 Colt snubbie that is not also a .410
You could join me (and many others) on the never ending quest for a Taurus 450. It was a terrific little 2" 5-shot .45LC they used to sell on their "Compact" frame (617, Tracker). Some were steel and others were titanium. I had the pleasure of shooting a range buddy's 450 a few times and it was a terrific little gun. Unfortunately, after producing it for just 2-3 years, they discontinued it around the time they brought out the Judge revolvers. They do sometimes show up on Gunbroker and other sites, but the prices reflect the low supply and high demand and they sell for about triple the one I held at a gun show just after they were discontinued (but I hadn't heard yet) and I decided to hold off because it was titanium (I wanted the steel version) and I was a little low on cash and decided to wait a month or two, that was the last one I ever saw in person.
Old June 27, 2017, 01:01 PM   #36
Dave T

First thing that came to my mind is, the 44 Special Bulldog is available with a 3" barrel. The 45 ACP Pitbull has a 2" or 2.5" barrel. Three inch barrels get you more performance out of either cartridge and a longer sight radius, if your one of those people who bother to aim.

Second thing that came to mind was, the big advantage of 45 ACP revolvers is the option to use Moonclips, which provide the fastest reload in the revolver world. The 45 Pitbull eliminates this, and consequently eliminates one of the best reasons for 45 ACP revolvers.

YMMV,
Dave
Old June 28, 2017, 08:03 AM   #37
arquebus357

Just to add fuel to the fire. For those of us who cannot afford to crap away $100-$200 in ammunition every week, the cost of .44 Special ammo is meaningless.
Old June 28, 2017, 11:15 PM   #38
mj246

A couple people already touched on this but there are 2 big reasons to get the Bulldog in 44spl over the Pitbull in 45acp.

1) The 45acp cylinder and frame are slightly larger, possibly affecting your ability to comfortably conceal it.

2) The rimless extraction tabs prevent the use of speed loaders.

The effectiveness and accuracy of both rounds will likely be similar out of the short barrels, so if neither of the above points are a concern, by all means get the Pitbull and save money on ammo. If planning on concealed carry and/or loading quickly, I would strongly suggest reconsidering the 44spl version.

And these are the exact reasons have not sold/traded my Bulldog towards a 45acp Pitbull. I really like 45acp as a round, but the Bulldog is just a better fit for my intended uses.
Old June 29, 2017, 12:07 AM   #39
tipoc

From what I can see the Pitbull is only in 45acp. It is not in 45 Colt. The latter is both a longer cartridge than the 45 acp, it's also potentially more powerful. So I'm not sure why so many have referenced the 45 Colt.

Anyway, like others it seems that the 45 acp Pitbull is a bit larger than the 44 Spl. Bulldog. CA website only lists the weight and not the width of the cylinder.

To the OP. I can't tell you why you should get one over the other. You decide that.

I'll pick up a Bulldog when I can just to give it a try. If I want a small carry piece in 45 acp. well I have the excellent Colt Defender for that.

tipoc
Old June 29, 2017, 07:21 PM   #40
Nanuk

44 special is a handloaders proposition. I load Rimrock's 185 grain LSWCHP to about 1000 FPS ( loading manual data) in 44 Russian cases and Titegroup.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 29, 2017, 07:26 PM   #41
Nanuk

Quote:
A similar bullet at a similar velocity will perform in a similar manner. Nothing you ever shoot will be able to tell the difference in .429 VS .452 - .23 of an inch.
Old June 29, 2017, 08:12 PM   #42
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
A similar bullet at a similar velocity will perform in a similar manner. Nothing you ever shoot will be able to tell the difference in .429 VS .452 - .23 of an inch

More case volume in the .45 Colt can do the same work with less pressure.

Back in the day people liked .44 spl revolvers for powerful loads because most .45 colt revolvers were SAA's which didn't have much meat left on the bone. The same platform in .44 proved to be stronger.

Today there are many beefed up .45 frames which can handle higher pressures.
Old June 29, 2017, 09:15 PM   #43
tipoc

Quote:
Since CA doesn't chamber a gun in 45 Colt it's kinda moot for this thread.

tipoc
Old June 30, 2017, 07:52 PM   #44
Nanuk

Quote:
I would not load hot for a Charter Arms. At 19 oz it is brutal with even full power 44 specials, I would say on par with my ScTi 357 magnum J frame. If I need more power I use one of my 44 magnums. I do not care about pressure as long as it is within specs for the gun/cartridge.
Old July 1, 2017, 10:31 AM   #45
the Black Spot

If you dont handload, I think the 45 acp would be better proposition cuz of ammo availability.
I handload for both, and i would pick the 44 special.