The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

View Poll Results: What range rules do you put up with? (Choose all that apply)
Must buy ammo from range 2 3.03%
All guns must be unloaded going to and/or from range 39 59.09%
Cannot use steel cased ammo 15 22.73%
Cannot use steel core (green tip) ammo 30 45.45%
No rapid fire 34 51.52%
Must use targets from the range 11 16.67%
Cannot keep own brass 4 6.06%
Cannot draw from holster 27 40.91%
Pay too much in dues/ fees 13 19.70%
Other (please specify) 9 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 29, 2016, 11:15 PM   #26
Deaf Smith

The public range I use they issue each member a key. If no one is near the bay I use then there are no rules but my own. And my rule is.. bring a cell phone and a quick clot bandaged.

Deaf
Old March 29, 2016, 11:20 PM   #27
Boogershooter

I used to disagree with most of them but after building my own ranges I have to agree with some just for safety reasons. Steel core ammo is my biggest problem. Quite a few young men don't know what it is before loading up with it. I have paid for or built all the gongs and stands. Rapid fire is not allowed on the gongs but I allow it on paper and wooden targets. If you have your carry gun on you I don't mind it being loaded but all others will be unloaded and actions open unless on the line. I do not charge for use on my range but I don't allow people showing up un announced.
Old March 30, 2016, 08:59 AM   #28
darkgael

Safety

"If someone shows up and is unsafe, the rest of us try to correct it, and uf we fail, we leave. "
That is unfortunate. What should happen is that the unsafe Shooter should leave. That is what rules are for.
On the range to which I referred in my earlier post, there are numerous skids on the side walls of the range...... Virtually all are a result of "rapid fire".
It is a 50 ft indoor range with 36 inch wide lanes (actually wider once out past the booth) so a shooter putting bullets into the wall has to be a foot and a half off aim point. Many of the skids are at 8 - 10 yards so at 50ft they are a good 3 feet wide of the lane center.
Old March 30, 2016, 09:54 AM   #29
Radny97

My range let's shooters do all of these things, and I prefer it that way. If I see something I consider unsafe I will leave. I haven't had cause to leave yet, in all the years I've been going there.
IMHO all of the above rules are oppressive. My range has video cameras through out. If they see something unsafe they say something. Stalls are all bullet proof between each other.
The rest of these suggested rules is just the result of an anal range trying to save themselves money or work. I'll take my business where I can do the training I want to do and which will make me a better shooter.
Old March 30, 2016, 11:11 AM   #30
kraigwy

My club has a rule no shotguns on the rifle range. I strongly agree with that since I'm the guy who has to replace the back stop that get tore up by shotguns.

We have a trap range for shot guns.

Other then that and safety, there aren't too many unreasonable rules.

We don't allow steel jacketed ammo if the county has a fire burn. We do discourage anything but paper targets. But we don't push that much for people who bring steel targets. Its mostly to keep trash off the range such as cans and bottles.

We do have steel gongs that anyone can shoot.

I'm more strict with my back yard range then our club is with our in-town range.

We don't allow rifles in our indoor range, except for 22s of course OR rifles shooting pistol rounds.

I don't think our prices are un-reasonable. $25 per year, $35 for a family. It gives you almost unlimited access to our indoor and outdoor ranges, unless there is a match or training event going on. Our indoor range is open 24/7 because we have a lot of shift workers in the area.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 30, 2016, 11:26 AM   #31
Onward Allusion

Something about not placing targets more than 15' away from the berm 'cause shots can go over the 30' berm. Oh, one time I got talked to by the RO 'cause I had my rifle sitting on my sandbag and the muzzle was pointed over the berm - - - the idiot didn't think that having the action OPEN was good enough. Some days I really wish for the zombie apocalypse . . .
Old March 30, 2016, 11:29 AM   #32
armoredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgael
"If someone shows up and is unsafe, the rest of us try to correct it, and uf we fail, we leave. "
That is unfortunate. What should happen is that the unsafe Shooter should leave. That is what rules are for.
Our range is unmonitored, and free. However, real problems rarely happen, as the police range, which is in use about 6 days of the week, is right next door.
Old March 30, 2016, 11:30 AM   #33
zincwarrior

*No steel core. At the indoor ranges and out door ranges where I am at I completely understand. I've seen two fires in indoor ranges and one at an outside range.

*No draw from Holster. Every public range I have been to that did not have separate bays was like this. After dealing with one too many yahoos I can understand.

*No rapid fire: One outdoor range is like that. Not an especial fan but I can get around that. Again the yahoos spoil it. I would prefer "no uncontrolled fire" which is how it is termed at the indoor ranges.

*Must use range ammo: went to a range once that did that. Never went back.

*"Lost brass range": I have heard of these but never experienced one. While not a reloader I've always had the sitatuation where, if an employee was sweeping up brass, they would ask if I was saving mine first. While not a reloader myself they would always be careful with those that were saving their brass (then either sweep around of especially sweep up and deposit rounds depending on how busy they were.)
Old March 30, 2016, 12:08 PM   #34
Cheapshooter

Quote:
though I would like to learn more about the one you're currently using Cheapshooter
Turkeestalker, PM sent
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 30, 2016, 12:32 PM   #35
stagpanther

All I care about at any range is that everyone knows the difference between hot and cold, loaded and unloaded, and never to sweep anyone. Other than that--let 'em fly!
Old March 30, 2016, 01:47 PM   #36
T. O'Heir

You're confusing range/business rules with club rules. Most rules, club or range, are there for a reason. No steel jackets/cores, for example, is about damage to the range facilities. Have to be really, really, really dry for a spark from a jacket to start a fire outside, but everywhere must CYA.
"Must use range ammo." Sounds like a commercial operation that wants to go out of business. Ditto for targets and not keeping your brass. "WTH" wouldn't be my reaction. snicker.
"No draw from Holster" is a safety/liability thing. Cops, up here, have been shot(and at least one killed) by their peers playing 'quick draw'.
"...$25 per year, $35 for a family..." That's dirt cheap. Costs that much per day at the few private clubs that will allow non-members.
Old March 30, 2016, 02:01 PM   #37
GJSchulze

Someone who hits the ceiling during rapid fire needs guidance and practice. Someone who shoots wide of the target shooting fast, needs to find another hobby. How do you have so little control you shoot that wide of the target?
Old March 31, 2016, 02:32 AM   #38
GJSchulze

I think this poll should be reworded. "rules you put up with" can be interpreted as rules you have that you hate or just rules that your club has. While I would put up with some rules, I would not put up with no rapid fire, so how does that count?

I would suggest breaking it in two parts:

1) Rules that your club has
2) Rules you wish your club didn't have
Old March 31, 2016, 05:17 AM   #39
CajunBass

I've never thought about it. The rules are the rules.

They own the place. They get to make the rules.

Pretty simple to me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 31, 2016, 06:18 AM   #40
stagpanther

Quote:
I've never thought about it. The rules are the rules.

They own the place. They get to make the rules.

Pretty simple to me.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Not necessarily--if it's publicly owned land.
Old March 31, 2016, 07:56 AM   #41
boatdoc173

range rules on the ranges I us e make sense and do not bother me

what doe s bother me is those who do not pay attention to them. Especially the ones who leave their lane with a loaded gun to show their friends their weapon--and end up pointing it at ME!!!
Old March 31, 2016, 07:59 AM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
range rules on the ranges I us e make sense and do not bother me

what doe s bother me is those who do not pay attention to them. Especially the ones who leave their lane with a loaded gun to show their friends their weapon--and end up pointing it at ME!!!
Yup--well, since you opened the door to the "There I was..." posts : )--I've seen that many times over the years--but the best of all are the people who show up and figure it's OK to walk out to the targets to post their targets while the range is live and shooters are firing in adjacent lanes. Yes--I've seen it several times.
Old March 31, 2016, 09:27 AM   #43
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
Yup--well, since you opened the door to the "There I was..." posts : )--I've seen that many times over the years--but the best of all are the people who show up and figure it's OK to walk out to the targets to post their targets while the range is live and shooters are firing in adjacent lanes. Yes--I've seen it several times.
I think basic safety is desired at any range except by those trying to win the Darwin award
Old March 31, 2016, 09:38 AM   #44
O4L

I will not use a range that requires you to use their ammo.

I will not use a range that their fees are too high.

I will not use a range that does not allow you to carry your SD weapon loaded if i have any other choice.

I will not use a range that does not allow you to pick up your own brass, (I don't normally save my brass, it's just the principal of the matter) if I have any other choice.
Old March 31, 2016, 01:35 PM   #45
Spats McGee
Staff

I checked all that apply at each of the 3 ranges I use. All require that handguns be unloaded entering and leaving the range area. I think two prohibit rapid fire. I'm certain that one does not. All have targets available, and I always get targets at the range, so I'm unsure of whether I'm allowed to bring my own targets. I'm pretty sure that two of the three would let me use my own targets, if I chose. I know that one requires you to use their targets and prohibits silhouette targets.

None try to keep my brass. That would be a deal-breaker for me. I bought it, and I'm trying to get set up for reloading, so I'm keeping it.
Old March 31, 2016, 11:27 PM   #46
43mauser

i voted other.

i do not go to pay to shoot places. so everything is on me.
and all the brass i get to pick up.

Old April 1, 2016, 10:06 PM   #47
dewcrew8

the only rule is pick up your brass!! because if I don't I have nothing to reload !!! the range is in my backyard!!!
Old April 2, 2016, 06:39 AM   #48
darkgael

Yipe

Quote:
but the best of all are the people who show up and figure it's OK to walk out to the targets to post their targets while the range is live and shooters are firing in adjacent lanes. Yes--I've seen it several times.
There is no cure for stupidity.
Pete
Closed Thread