The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2015, 07:59 PM   #1
rebs

550b ?

How difficult is it to get started reloading with a dillon 550b ? Are they hard to set up ? I would want to reload 45acp 357 mag and 223 remington. How much cost is involved to change caliber ?
Old November 12, 2015, 08:18 PM   #2
jepp2

I consider the 550B to be as easy to set up as a single stage press. Since you can run it as a single stage press if you desire (with 3 empty slots), it is very easy to learn on.

Caliber conversions cost $46 IF you need everything. That includes the shell plate, powder funnel and locator buttons. But look at the detail sheet and a shell holder can be used for several calibers. Maybe not for your 3. And unless you like to adjust the dies, buy a tool head for around $23 and a powder die for $11.

I have a pair of 550's. Bought the first in the late 80's. If I was starting over today, I would probably go with the 650's, but I'm not sure I would not go with the 550's again. Just love the simple reliability.

But I also have a Forster Co-Ax, Redding Big Boss, an RCBS Rock Chucker that is over 45 years old, and a Pacific 366 shotshell press.
Old November 12, 2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

After 31 years on a single-stage, I went with a 550b this past summer.

I had it set up and running in about 90 minutes - and that's taking my sweet meticulous OCD time. Most with my experience would have done it in about half the time lol.

And that's just it: Experience. It was a big help that I already had a lot of experience loading on a single stage. Hard to know for sure, but if I was just getting started, it probably would have taken a lot longer.

And oh BTW, love the press. It's well made machinery.
Old November 12, 2015, 08:43 PM   #4
condor bravo

Another way to look at a modified single stage operation is not to have three empty stages, but rather to have all four stages in operation but just run one round through all four to completion (I guess that would be more like turret operation), and then run through the next to completion. In the usual die arrangement, the first stage would be sizing, depriming and priming, the second stage flaring and charging powder, the third stage bullet seating, and the final stage crimping. You wouldn't want to continue that way but should start out that way until all stages are properly adjusted and working properly. Then go full progressive. I find larger rounds, in particular the .45-70, to be overly bulky for progressive, especially at bullet seating, and put them through one at a time. Slow but gets the job done.
Old November 12, 2015, 09:17 PM   #5
rebs

I have been using an RCBS single stage for a lot of years and the idea of a finished round with each pull of the handle really appeals to me. With 45 acp loading 4.2 of bullseye what are the chances of a double load happening ? Does the dillon have safe guards against that happening ?
Old November 12, 2015, 10:03 PM   #6
Clark

A guy had one set up for 223 and 9mm.
He died.
Much later it was given to me.
I never used it.
I gave it to someone who said he would use it.
He has never used it.

I guess no one wanted to load that much 9mm or 223.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 12, 2015, 10:54 PM   #7
Jeffm004

If you feel you need a powder check you need a 650 or you can seat & crimp at one stage but go 650.

I just switched from .45-70 to .357 tonight. One hour puttering and cleaning everything, switching from large to small primers, everything.

It can be done in half that easy.

I have a 550, I might go 650 today but puttering,
i have ammo everywhere.
Old November 13, 2015, 12:51 AM   #8
condor bravo

On the opposite side of the double charge possibility is the no charge possibility. This can happen if the powder bar for some reason hangs up after depositing a charge and fails to return to pick up a charge for the next round. If not noticed there could be quite a number of rounds without powder. However, with the 550B there is a fail safe rod that manually pulls the charge bar back to picking up a new charge after each round, thereby eliminating the no charge possibility. The only consideration on this, at least on my older model, is that the powder dispenser must be set up on the second stage which is normal. There could be unusual circumstances with certain cartridges and die combinations where the powder dispenser would be set up on the third stage, in which case the fail safe rod could not be set up. In this case it is absolutely necessary to visually make sure the powder bar returns after each powder drop.
Old November 13, 2015, 06:40 AM   #9
rebs

I could continue to reload the 223 on my single stage press since there is only two handle pulls to complete a round. But with the 45 acp there is 4 handle pulls to complete a round. This is what I mainly want to speed up. Is it feasible to buy a 550b for just one caliber ? Is it a consideration to buy a used 550b or is it best to buy brand new ?
This is how I reload 45 acp now, first resize and deprime the case, second bell the case mouth, third put in a new primer with a hand primer tool I usually do this while watching tv, forth add powder and seat the bullet and finally use the Lee taper crimp die.
Old November 13, 2015, 09:55 AM   #10
condor bravo

Yes, certainly feasible to buy either a new or used 550 for one caliber (but probably expanding from there). But with a used press, it may come with a problem, albeit usually minor, that could appear to be serious. Probably the most common problem is with the priming mechanism. But starting with a new press and getting familiar with the operation you quickly learn how to correct these problems as they might develop. The next most common problem is usually with the powder charging system but usually kept in check with the fail safe return rod. With a new press any of these problems take a long time to happen. So I guess the bottom line is, recommend getting a new one.

Last edited by condor bravo; November 13, 2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old November 13, 2015, 09:56 AM   #11
Vance

If you find a used one for a good price, don't hesitate to buy it. The lifetime warranty goes with the machine and does not stay with the original purchaser. If something were to go wrong with your new to you used 550b, Dillon would fix it or send you the parts for free.

If you shoot a lot of 45acp, yes it is feasable. Caliber changes are not difficult. They only take me 10 or 15 minutes on my XL650 depending on if I need to change primer sizes and how fast I am moving on any given day.
Old November 13, 2015, 10:02 AM   #12
FITASC

I could never get it to work right for 223, the powder measure had to be backed out so far it almost fell over - never did figure that out. Primer change over from small to large can be a PITA at times. I have and have had progressives machines from Dillon, RCBS, MEC among others and the primer feed area ALWAYS seems to be the biggest headache/problem area no matter the design or whose nae is on it, so you always need to keep one eye watching to make sure iot dropped and dropped properly and then was inserted properly.
If you get past that, it will work as nice as any other similar machine.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 13, 2015, 10:35 AM   #13
wogpotter

Its not at all hard to set up. Basically think of it as 4 single stage presses sitting in a circle.

Cost of conversions varies with how you convert.

Complete drop in loaded tool heads with a full set of dies & a dedicated powder measure is expensive, but instant.

Ignoring the interchangeable heads is dirt cheap but slow.

In between the extremes is the "partial conversion".
You have to buy the dies anyway, so I don't factor them in. Get a tool head & the dies, only swap powder bars & use the single powder measure for all.
Then shellplate, buttons & you're done fairly inexpensively.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old November 13, 2015, 11:29 AM   #14
rebs

Thank you guys for all the help and information. I will give this a little more thought before I make a final decision. Thanks again
Old November 13, 2015, 08:51 PM   #15
bbqncigars

If you are primarily looking into loading a lot of handgun rounds, I'd give the Dillon Square Deal a long look. I happily loaded lots of 9mm, .45, and .308 on my 550B before it was retired after it ran into a couple of bottle necked pistol rounds it couldn't handle. FWIW, the LNL AP loads everything the 550B did and the rest as well.
Old November 15, 2015, 07:19 AM   #16
rebs

After much research and reading on here and other threads I am leaning towards the Hornady. It seems it requires less tweeks and mods, I also like the die changing setup, it looks like they have a better powder setup also and being able to remove a case from any station to check them.
Old November 15, 2015, 10:53 AM   #17
wogpotter

I'm not sure which tweaks & mods you're referring to?

The 550 will run just fine right out of the box. There are more "upgrade" accessories out there, it's true, but most of them aren't really needed.
You can remove the case from every station on the Dillon, just lift out the little pin & pull it out sideways.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”