The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 7, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1
sigcurious

ATF Up to Something Fishy in Alaska

Article 1

Article 2

First of all...What the heck ATF? Didn't get enough bad press from previous exploits?

But seriously, I wonder what is going through the ATF collective mind in trying to get the books from shops in Anchorage. From what's available in the articles little to no reason is being given and it seems outside of the laws as written. I wonder if they're trying too hard to be covert about some investigation, and not realizing that by not being upfront they're just drawing attention to themselves.

Too bad WildAlaska isn't around anymore, I'd bet his comments on the situation would both be informative and hilarious.
Old April 7, 2012, 04:55 PM   #2
Hansam

Something sounds fishy indeed however its not just what the ATF is allegedly trying to do.

I don't take much I read on the Examiner too seriously unless I see it confirmed on a more credible news source.
Old April 7, 2012, 06:24 PM   #3
stevelyn

Quote:
I don't take much I read on the Examiner too seriously unless I see it confirmed on a more credible news source.
As if the mainstream media is going to be honest.

They've basically given the BATFE a pass on Gunwalker because the pretext aligns with their agenda. They aren't going to go out of their way to report on any misconduct in AK if they don't have to.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old April 8, 2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Cascade1911

I wonder how much of this has gone one in other locations and been unreported.
Old April 8, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Same here. If there's any oversight or accountability for Examiner editors, I haven't seen it. I have seen a few inaccurate and truly bizarre things posted there.

This article is a good example. The author cites no source other than another Examiner article. I'd give things found on that site no more credibility than something I'd see on Jethro's Gun Totin' Commie Bashin' Gun Bl0G.

The situation described sounds like SOP if the dealer is going out of business. Otherwise, the ATF can't pull all their books in one fell swoop. If someone at the ATF has their laws mixed up, then a call to the Alaska attorney general might be in order.
Old April 8, 2012, 12:25 PM   #6
sigcurious

Ahh, I was not aware of the examiners history. Hopefully it is a bunch of malarky and the ATF is not up to no good.
Old April 8, 2012, 02:28 PM   #7
thallub

Quote:
Same here.

Tried googling it up. Everything is linked to the Examiner article or ammoland. There is nothing on the GOA or NRA websites.

Last edited by thallub; April 8, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old April 8, 2012, 04:49 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

WA would likely have some or be able to get info on this if it were valid... Too bad he has taken a leave of absence.

I would not be at all surprised if this is not SOP for ATFE. I bet most dealers are just too intimidated to say anything. Look at what lengths the dealers in F&F went to stay on ATFE's good side.

To be fair to all those dealers, ATFE and IRS are pretty terrifying.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Sturmgewehre

I've spoken to Frank Caiazza, the manager at GNG and this story is absolutely true. 1.5 months ago the ATF requested a copy of their bound book and they respectfully declined. The ATF let it rest there (so far), end of story.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
This article is a good example. The author cites no source other than another Examiner article. I'd give things found on that site no more credibility than something I'd see on Jethro's Gun Totin' Commie Bashin' Gun Bl0G.
Their source, the gun shop itself, was enough for me to confirm the story with a phone call. The manager of the store was quite helpful and answered all of my questions. I did identify myself as media and mentioned there was some concern over the validity of the Examiner story. They said the story was true and went on to explain the details.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Patriot86

So this really IS scary stuff afterall O_o

I wonder how often things like this happens and it just doesn't get reported?
Old April 10, 2012, 09:33 AM   #12
sigcurious

@Sturmgewehre, Thanks for the update and legwork. Interesting that it did happen, and as Patriot posed, it does make one wonder how often they do something like this and it goes unnoticed.
Old April 10, 2012, 11:10 AM   #13
C0untZer0

I think it's great that we have the Internet which allows us to disseminate information so quickly. It definately affords an early warning if there is a systematic and coordinated effort to violate the law or violate people's constitutional rights.

I'm not sure that's happening here though, despite the examiner's bombastic language.

Quote:
If someone at the ATF has their laws mixed up, then a call to the Alaska attorney general might be in order.
If it happens again then I'd say that BATFE is up to something, but that hasn't happened.
Old April 10, 2012, 12:10 PM   #14
CowTowner

Quote:
If it happens again then I'd say that BATFE is up to something, but that hasn't happened.
At least not that we know about or can confirm. If no one says anything about it, does that mean it didn't happen?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 10, 2012, 12:15 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

Although it is easy to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon, there is a just as likely scenario. ATFE was trying to save a buck/time or just being lazy and needed specific record but did not want to go out to the shop. When you think about how much back and forth ATFE agents might be doing for investigations it doesn't seem all that preposterous that they just wanted to get it mailed to them. Illegal, foolish, but not conspiratorial.
Old April 10, 2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Sturmgewehre

While I haven't confirmed this, Frank told me they weren't the only gun shop to have the ATF do this. I've not contacted other gun shops looking to verify if this is indeed happening or not. I do doubt though that it's an isolated incident.
Old April 11, 2012, 07:12 AM   #17
CowTowner

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they ain't out to get me.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 11, 2012, 07:26 AM   #18
ChaseReynolds

So what is the ATF up to? Seeing what kind of firearms the great citizens of the USA possess? So that way they know what to ban to disarm America? Only to lead to Martial Law? Probably not, but to be safe I better go buy more ammo.
Old April 11, 2012, 10:42 AM   #19
C0untZer0

Hopefully a legitimate news organization contacts the BATFE to see what their official response to these incidents is.