The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 18, 2000, 12:25 AM   #1
SPECTOR

i was wondering about the quality of a taurus. is it worth saving some money on or should i wait and buy the beretta?any opinions would be helpful. thanks

Old February 18, 2000, 12:39 AM   #2
charter

Taurus seems like every other gun manufacturer these days, some off the assembley line are fine, some have to be sent back.

The grips on both of these are too large for me anyway, I'd go with a smith or ruger.
Old February 18, 2000, 01:17 AM   #3
swatman

I've never owned a Taurus. Although I see and hear alot of good with the revolvers, I hear alot of negative things about the autopistols they produce, especially the newer models.

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"
Old February 18, 2000, 01:29 AM   #4
Paul B.

SPECTOR. I have an early Taurus PT-99. 9MM. That's the one with the adjusable sights. My is early enough that it is pre-decocker. It is accurate as heck, and the only thing it does,t like is cast lead. Jams with them every time. When I get time, I'm going to polish the feed ramp, and that should take are of it. I would also suggest a Ruger
P-89. I have the P-85 which is really the same thing, as the only difference in a modification of the safety. It is accurate with everything I've run through it, including cast lead.
JMHO.
Paul B.
Old February 18, 2000, 02:41 AM   #5
David Berkowitz

Check the most recent issue of Gun Tests. I think they do a fair job in balance on their review of these 9mm.
I canonly give you info on Taurus customer service. It is absolutley great. Wonderful no BS Warranty and they do stand behind it. fortunately, you don't need to use very often.
Old February 18, 2000, 05:09 AM   #6
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Greetings. I don't have any Taurus autos in .40 caliber, but do have an old PT92 (pre-decocker) in 9mm. The gun's been a fine, reliable piece with good accuracy. Its reliability has been such that it was a loaded "house gun" for years. I have no complaints. Best.
Old February 18, 2000, 07:13 AM   #7
denfoote

I have just aquired a PT92 AFS. I have just had a chance to take it to the range. Unlike my Taurus revolvers, this autoloder is wonderful. It and I are becoming fast friends I would get one.

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Off my meds (quit smoking), armed to the teeth, and loose on an unsuspecting society!!!
Old February 18, 2000, 10:12 AM   #8
Ben

I just copied my response from a similar question over at guns.com
I know a guys who owns a PT-940 and really likes it. It's certainly a classy looking gun, and I considered getting one ... but it was a little more than I wanted to pay ($379.00). It's a Taurus Original unlike
some of their guns which are actually knock-offs of other popular designs.
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"
Old February 18, 2000, 10:51 AM   #9
R.Pope

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SPECTOR:
i was wondering about the quality of a taurus. is it worth saving some money on or should i wait and buy the beretta?any opinions would be helpful. thanks

[/quote]hAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY PT111 LIFETIME GAUANTEE TOO

Old February 18, 2000, 02:13 PM   #10
BMiracle

I have a PT92 9mm that I absolutely love. Very accurate and reliable. The first thing I did before I ever even shot it was to polish the feed ramp.
Old February 18, 2000, 03:02 PM   #11
Kief

I have both the 92 and 908 in stainless. The 908 is as accurate as the 92 but is more sensitive to my "limp wrist" when I get tired after a day of shooting. The 92 is great. The stainless is very attractive and easy to care for. These are range guns so I'm not concerned about anyone "seeing" them. I had a blue 92 that looked shabby after a few years. Both handle all types of ammo without a problem. I reload despite the inexpensive price of the 9mm. It's just fun.
Old February 18, 2000, 04:06 PM   #12
Slim

I have a Taurus PT 92-C. I purchased it in 1991, and it has beed adopted by my wife. She has probably put well over 20,000 rounds through it. I can hardly believe it has any rifling left, but it does. It broke 2 locking blocks (the weak link in the Beretta 92 design) and have had very good response with the Taurus guarantee of sending new ones. It feeds hollow points, FMJ's, everything. It is a fine and trusted weapon. Shoots very accurately, too. I'd get the Taurus.

Best Regards,

Slim