The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 26, 2017, 10:53 PM   #1
baddarryl

Garand Bolt won't lock back

Hi all. I finally did a detail strip and lube on my Service Grade from the CMP. Now the bolt wont lock back. It doesn't seem to travel all the way and doesn't seem to clear the follower. When pulled back it is 1.268" from the bolt to the rear of the receiver. I think I have it put together correctly. I think it was working properly before, but I can't recall. I have not shot it yet. It has new wood on it which I refinished with Tung Oil.

I have not tested OP rod movement yet as I am not sure how to do that. Also when putting it back together I had a difficult time with the OP rod. I had to work it a bit, but do not think I bent it. Thank you.

Old June 26, 2017, 10:55 PM   #2
baddarryl

One last pic:

Old June 27, 2017, 01:51 AM   #3
bamaranger

CMP

I do not think CMP would release a rifle designated as functional, that would not so operate..

I would tear the rifle down again and reassemble and see what happens
Old June 27, 2017, 04:52 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Clip guide backward
Old June 27, 2017, 07:04 AM   #5
RKG

Or "accelerator" and OP Rod latch improperly oriented.

CMP had (and probably still has) multi page, multi photo PDF on M1 disassembly and re-assembly.
Old June 27, 2017, 12:18 PM   #6
baddarryl

As the bolt turns with the pull of the OP Rod the back of the bolt is dragging the receiver. I always felt it was hitting a wall like. You can see the scoring on both the bolt and the top of the recever to the right of the firing pin. Extremely disgusted!

Old June 27, 2017, 06:50 PM   #7
4EVERM-14

Reverse the follower
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old June 27, 2017, 08:48 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is it too much to suggest that someone who buys an M1 rifle (from CMP Or elsewhere) spring for a copy of the Field Manual? Reprints are available for a couple of bucks.

I thought CMP sent a copy of the FM or a sort of summary along with each rifle, but too many owners seem to believe that instruction one is to "throw away instructions".

Jim
Old June 27, 2017, 09:39 PM   #9
baddarryl

Quote:
Reverse the follower
That was the problem. Thank you. This looks right doesn't it?

Old June 27, 2017, 09:41 PM   #10
baddarryl

Quote:
Is it too much to suggest that someone who buys an M1 rifle (from CMP Or elsewhere) spring for a copy of the Field Manual? Reprints are available for a couple of bucks.

I thought CMP sent a copy of the FM or a sort of summary along with each rifle, but too many owners seem to believe that instruction one is to "throw away instructions".

Jim
I did read the instructions that came with it thoroughly as well as followed the guide on Garand and Gear. I just had that one part reversed. I was tired after struggling with the trigger group. Stuff happens you know? Give a dude a break.
Old June 27, 2017, 09:49 PM   #11
mehavey

baddaryl... don't worry about it.
go shoot and have fun.

(good pics by the way...)
Old June 27, 2017, 09:58 PM   #12
baddarryl

mehavey: Going to sir. Thanks!
Old June 28, 2017, 12:46 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Bet you'll never do THAT again!

Here's another tip, if you disassemble the bolt, PAY ATTENTION to the extractor spring and plunger! Note the direction (which end goes where) as you take it apart. You can put them back together wrong, as well.

Get the combination tool, and learn how to use it, if you want to remove the extractor or ejector. Its not absolutely needed, but it makes things SO much easier...I don't remember for certain about the Garand, but the M14 combo tool is the funny looking "handle" for the cleaning rod set, and the Garand and M14 are very similar about the extractor and ejector.

GET the Army field manual (FM) This covers everything the user is authorized to take apart, and what they are not. Army rules, if the manual doesn't tell you how to do it, you aren't authorized to do it.

Once you are well familiar with the gun, get the Technical manual (TM) which covers repair above the user level, if you are interested in learning more.

There are also a number of books that cover what's in the manuals, and much more.

And, DO watch out for M1 Thumb!
Old June 28, 2017, 08:21 AM   #14
baddarryl

Quote:
Here's another tip, if you disassemble the bolt, PAY ATTENTION to the extractor spring and plunger! Note the direction (which end goes where) as you take it apart. You can put them back together wrong, as well.
True. When I took it apart I was surprised when the plunger fell out and posted about it. Took a while, but I figured it out.

Quote:
Get the combination tool, and learn how to use it, if you want to remove the extractor or ejector. Its not absolutely needed, but it makes things SO much easier...I don't remember for certain about the Garand, but the M14 combo tool is the funny looking "handle" for the cleaning rod set, and the Garand and M14 are very similar about the extractor and ejector.
Agreed
Old June 28, 2017, 12:17 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

Go here for the TM and FM. Free .pdf. Note the need for the provided UN & PW.
http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
And learn how to load the thing correctly. M1/Garand Thumb is caused by incorrect loading. Clip in rifle, thumb on top with the rest of your fingers outside the receiver in front of the op handle. Push down while controlling the op handle.
Old June 29, 2017, 12:41 AM   #16
Model12Win

The M1 Garand is a good stopper.
Old July 6, 2017, 11:02 AM   #17
baddarryl

OP Here: The issue was I did not have the Operation Rod Catch oriented under the tab that gives it clearance for the rod to move under then be caught to lock the bolt. There was no clearance and it was slamming into it. Works fine now and THAT won't happen again! Thanks everyone.