The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 16, 2017, 12:05 AM   #1
rjinga

Back out to 400 yds after adjusting my sight picture

Earlier this week, I went to my nearby 100 yd public range to set my POA at 6:00, at 30 meters, with my iron sights. Today I went to the gun club to see how I could do at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds. Everything was shot off of a table using my ammo box/airsoft bb sock gun rest.

Here’s the rifle:

Here’s the ammunition I started with:

I put one 17” target on the #15 target backer at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yds.

I tried to touch the top edge of the front post to the bottom of the orange circle, using the #2 rear sight aperture.

Next I tried to touch the top edge of the front post to the bottom of the target, using the #2 rear aperture again. At this distance, the target is about the width of the front post.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old June 16, 2017, 12:07 AM   #2
rjinga

Cont.

Then I fired five rounds each at the targets at 300 and 400 yds. However, I forgot to change the rear sight aperture, so none of the shots hit the targets. D’oh! So, I went back to the front target again, using the same sight picture and aperture as before.

And then, a second set of five rounds at 200 yds (#2 aperture).

This time I remembered to dial in the #3 rear sight aperture. At this distance the target is a little smaller than the width of the front post (five rounds).

I’m not sure how I shot my best 400 yd group on this attempt. I could barely see the black target on the light brown backer. And, at that distance, the front post can cover the entire backer board. (#4 aperture)

I only had 10 rounds of German surplus ammunition left, so I started at 400 yds on this turn. I also stuck the target on a white background to try and see it better. It didn’t seem to help. (five shots)

And then, the last five rounds of German surplus at 300 yds.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old June 16, 2017, 12:08 AM   #3
rjinga

Cont.

Now all I had with me was Wolf Polyformance steel-cased ammunition:

I used the same sight picture and aperture as before on each target.

Because of the shot placement on the previous 100 yds, I moved the top of the front post down just a little this time. I got a pretty good group, but it wasn’t on the bulls-eye. (#2 aperture)

Old June 16, 2017, 12:09 AM   #4
rjinga

Cont.

I used the same sight pictures and apertures at 200, 300, or 400 yds. I got another low group at 200 yds, and marginal results at 300 and 400 yds.

Then I finished off the box of ammo (10 rounds) on a 23” x 35” silhouette at 400 yds.

Old June 16, 2017, 02:17 PM   #5
HALL,AUSTIN

That german ammo seems like it tightened up your groups from the previous thread. That's some really good shooting. Love the irons on the PTR91 by the way, just wish the trigger was a bit better.
Old June 16, 2017, 06:14 PM   #6
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALL,AUSTIN
That german ammo seems like it tightened up your groups from the previous thread. That's some really good shooting.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALL,AUSTIN
Love the irons on the PTR91 by the way, just wish the trigger was a bit better.
My previous rifle was a Century Arms C308. I like the PTR 91 sights a lot better. And, the standard trigger is a lot better too. If I can ever bear to not shoot the rifle for 10 day to two weeks, I think I'll send the trigger pack off to Williams Trigger for fine-tuning.

Old June 17, 2017, 07:16 PM   #7
Slamfire

I appreciate you posting pictures. Hitting the center of the target becomes more difficult with distance. Elevation changes are relatively consistent, if all you plan to do is hit an eight foot by eight foot target somewhere. But in the center, that takes work and sighting shots.

Even with a good 300 yard zero, on pre 64 M70 in 30-06, when I tried getting into the X ring at 600 yards, it took 13 shots, some of them off target, before I got the group centered:

The more I shoot, the more I find debates about the long range capabilities of rifles and cartridges (basically above 300 yards) are so much nonsense. If you can't put the bullet in the middle, and that requires marksmanship and knowing your zero's, than all the hoopla about cartridges, cartridge drop, actions, rifles, etc, are just debates by idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I have a PTR91, I have not taken it down to CMP Talladega, but I doubt I will do as well as you. Good shooting.
Old June 17, 2017, 08:53 PM   #8
rjinga

Thanks Slamfire. Cool rifle bty; and, I am definitely going to plan a day-trip to Talladega.

Old June 18, 2017, 10:23 PM   #9
rjinga

Slamfire, do you know the max diameter of the black centers of the targets at TMP? It looks like it's 19" at 300 yds? How much at 200, and 600 yds?

I think I found the answers: 200 yds - 13"; 300 yds - 19"; and, 600 yds - 36".

Last edited by rjinga; June 18, 2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Answered my own question, I think.
Old June 20, 2017, 09:12 AM   #10
kraigwy

Slamfire, that is one beautiful rifle. Glad to see its still a shooter.

I have one made in 1949 with a 4X El Paso Weaver, its still a shooter.

I shot at Talladega once, after completing the CMP's Advanced Maint. Class with my just built M1.

Love that range, but I couldn't afford the ammo it would take to live close to that range.

I would love to take a trailer load of rifles down there for a week or two.

Again congrats on you're rifle, its a beauty and a shooter.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 22, 2017, 09:06 PM   #11
Slamfire

I have never been able to go downrange on the rifle range and take pictures of the target frames. The range is too busy. What I have shot on are the standard round black bulls, but you can call ahead of time and pay for paper targets to be pasted over for better aiming points. With my scoped rifles, I am quartering the targets. I prefer having a ring to aim at, to get the shots in the middle without adjusting the scope. That accounts for a fair amount of my shot dispersions as I am not aiming at something, and if I try to shift the point of aim a little bit, I don't have a good reference point.

With irons, such as the 20 round composite group I shot at 600 yards, prone with a sling, that big round 600 yard bullseye looks like a pin head. I don't worry about not seeing the scoring rings, I worry about keeping the front sight on my target!

I have been able to walk down with the Range Officer on Range 3, which is the bullseye pistol range. I have taken pictures of the targets, some of which are posted here.

You have to qualify to shoot Range 3, the qualification is ten shots within the standard two foot by two foot NRA full face. Now this is a comment on just how bad the average shooter is, but so few people have done this, that the Range Officer knows you by name! I am proud to say, I have qualified all the way out to 50 yards (they test you at 50 yards and 25 yards) with my 45.

The black on the monitor reflects the black circle on the target. You don't see the four inch ten ring on the black circle, but the monitor knows....

As Kraigway says, bring lots of ammunition. I tell buds, you are going to shoot a lot, bring ammo cans of the stuff. You are going to burn ammo. It takes about a week to get all my rifle brass sized, trimmed, and primed when I get back.

The place is a shooting paradise.

I am always just about the last one out the door, and the sunsets are much better than the camera image.

Old June 24, 2017, 03:23 PM   #12
rjinga

I'm going next Saturday!