The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 2, 2015, 06:57 PM   #1
wilkerr1

Has anyone tried the new Silencerco Omega 7.62 silencer?

Please let me know what you think of them if you have tried one or been near one?
Old April 7, 2015, 07:52 PM   #2
suncoastarmory

I would like to see some reviews of it as well. On paper the numbers look good. I know distributors have them in stock, but the Form 3 transfers are running close up to 60 days or so. Would still think someone should have one to review.
Old April 8, 2015, 08:51 AM   #3
jclayto

I have not tried an Omega but some new review videos have been posted in the last few weeks.

I am leaning toward the Omega whenever I decide to take the 30 cal can plunge.

Capitol Armory video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed8HjkyE1wg

Silencer Shop video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku-L...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by jclayto; April 9, 2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old April 11, 2015, 05:02 PM   #4
wilkerr1

thanks, I took the blind plunge and bought one. Hope it turns out well. The weight is what sold me.
Old April 18, 2015, 07:32 PM   #5
HKFan9

I have on on order at my dealer, but he said the transfers are taking forever, and im stuck at number 4 on the list for one, so whenever it gets here I will let you know. I have a 10.5'' .300 black out upper waiting and a few .308's.

My dealer got to shoot them at the show and said they are nice, so I ordered it, as soon as it gets here tho I an ordering the flat front cap for it to get rid of that god awful muzzle break fin system on it.

Last edited by HKFan9; April 18, 2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old May 23, 2015, 03:34 AM   #6
TheGunPunch

The Omega will be my first .308 can I purchase after I get a trust set up. I look forward to hearing more reviews on it.

http://www.thegunpunch.com
Old May 23, 2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Theohazard

So far I haven't bee able to do anything more than examine the Omega, but I'm impressed with it. It's very light, and I really like the fact that it comes with both a direct-thread attachment and an ASR attachment like on the Specwar, along with a mount for it. The only thing that bother me is that you could get the direct-thread attachment stuck on the host when you go to remove the can; when you unscrew it the can body could unscrew from the attachment instead of the whole thing unscrewing together.

This actually happened to me when screwed the Omega on to a Model 700, and the endcap tool didn't help because at this point the barrel was in the way. So I had to use a rag and some good old-fashioned elbow grease to remove the stuck direct-thread attachment from the end of the rifle. I worry that this could become even more of a problem as you some shoot it and carbon builds up.

I could be missing something here, as I've had very little hands-on experience with this can (each one we've got in has sold very quickly and never even made it to the case). And this definitely doesn't seem like a deal-breaker, I still think the Omega might end up being one of the best all-around rifle cans on the market.
Old June 12, 2015, 09:31 PM   #8
HKFan9

Got the call from my dealer today, my Omega 762 Can finally came in. I am gonna try to go tomorrow to fondle it and submit the form 4. The wait will be on shortly, than maybe I can give a good review.

I submitted an Efile Form 1 on Apr 2nd for a SBR, that should be approved soon to host this can on, while I get my Kimber Advanced Tactical threaded while waiting for the approval on the can.

I wish Big Brother would make this process quicker, but I doubt we will ever see that happen.
Old June 19, 2015, 07:59 PM   #9
RCT

I just put a demo Omega on order. They told me 6-8 months before it will even be manufactured due to demand. Sigh...

My review will be posted but likely not until next year.

https://www.redcircletactical.com/
Old June 18, 2017, 07:59 PM   #10
vtchopperdude

So I run a Silencerco Specwar 762 on my FAL .308 and my M4 5.56 and I am pleased with it; I can shoot both without hearing protection; the 308 super sonic crack is still a bit loud but bearable now; the 5.56 with the 762 can on it sounds like a 22LR and you can shoot it all day without hearing pro and be fine

Old June 19, 2017, 11:03 AM   #11
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtchopperdude
the 5.56 with the 762 can on it sounds like a 22LR and you can shoot it all day without hearing pro and be fine
No, if you shoot it all day without hearing protection you're giving yourself permanent hearing damage. It might not be noticeable to you, but it's still happening. Your 5.56 rifle with that silencer on it is around 135 dB, which is louder than a jackhammer and is well above the threshold for permanent hearing damage.

The silencer industry uses the term "hearing safe" to describe any silencer under 140dB. This is a deliberately misleading term, and it's a misrepresentation of the rules for noise exposure. The 140 dB threshold is what OSHA uses for the upper limit of the safe dB threshold for a one-time impact noise. But that doesn't mean any sound below that is safe and won't cause permanent hearing loss.

Here are the decibel guidelines for daily exposure as described by the American Hearing Research Foundation (emphasis added):

"Habitual exposure to noise above 85 dB will cause a gradual hearing loss in a significant number of individuals, and louder noises will accelerate this damage. For unprotected ears, the allowed exposure time decreases by one half for each 5 dB increase in the average noise level. For instance, exposure is limited to 8 hours per day at 90 dB, 4 hours per day at 95 dB, and 2 hours per day at 100 dB. The highest permissible noise exposure for the unprotected ear is 115 dB for 15 minutes per day. Any noise above 140 dB is not permitted.
[...]
Combined use [of ear plugs and muffs] should be considered when noise exceeds 105 dB. Note that for such situations, it may be that there is no type of hearing protection that will stop a very loud noise from affecting you."

http://american-hearing.org/disorder...-hearing-loss/

In comparison, a centerfire rifle with a silencer is usually in the 135 - 140 dB range. A centerfire pistol with a silencer and subsonic ammo is usually in the 125 - 130 dB range. And a .22 with a silencer and subsonic ammo is usually in the 115 - 120 dB range.

Using the formula provided by the American Hearing Research Foundation, the maximum allowed exposure time per day for your suppressed 5.56 would be under half a second. [EDIT: Actually it would be just over 56 seconds. Apparently I calculated incorrectly. But that's still not a very long time. And remember, that's the maximum exposure time per day, but that doesn't mean a shorter duration can't cause hearing loss.]

Now, I'd be interested to know how the recommended exposure levels translate to an intermittent sound like gunfire. I'm not at all claiming that the exposure times allowed for each dB level directly translate to gunfire. But those numbers still show that suppressed gunfire can cause hearing loss, it just probably takes longer than a constant noise would take.

Last edited by Theohazard; June 22, 2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old June 19, 2017, 04:53 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Good post, Theohazard!

I own 3 Omegas. What's not to like? It is a lightweight can with multiple mounting choices (come with the can) that has a flash suppressor on the end (which does help with flash on shorter barrels) that can be changed out for a flat end plate (optional) to shorten the suppressor. When I ordered mine over a year ago, they were amongst the best suppressors when it came to suppression and IIRC the best for their size and weight. It is a good product and versatile.

I have used the cans on 6.5 Grendel and 5.56 rifles.

Note that I still use my suppressed rifles while wearing hearing protection!
Old June 19, 2017, 08:01 PM   #13
vtchopperdude

it was more of just a saying about shooting it all day without hearing pro to drive home the idea that Silencerco cans really do a good job cutting down noise; I still wear hearing pro when shooting; however when I first got it I ran some magazines through both rifles to see how it sounded; but when I go shoot I'm shooting other firearms that aren't suppressed so I wear hearing pro anyways, and ask others with me shooting to do the same
Old June 21, 2017, 11:55 PM   #14
Unconventional

I consider my Omega to be my most versatile suppressor. I've been really pleased with it. I began using it directly threaded onto the end of my custom bolt gun, but have since switched over to using it with the specwar muzzle brake and specwar QD adapter. This way I can swap it between my AR and my bolt gun.

As far as the hearing safe discussion goes, a key component is from where report of the gun is being measured. At the muzzle? 1 meter laterally and abreast with the muzzle with the microphone 1.6 meters off the ground as dictated by MIL-STD? At the shooter's ear? This can make a big difference in whether or not the shooter and bystanders are being exposed to harmful noise levels. My point is that the location of one's ears in relation to the muzzle should be factored in. The shooter is being exposed to far less noise than what is read at the muzzle.
Old June 22, 2017, 03:13 AM   #15
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconventional
My point is that the location of one's ears in relation to the muzzle should be factored in. The shooter is being exposed to far less noise than what is read at the muzzle.
Not necessarily. With many silencers the sound is actually louder at the shooter's ear than at the muzzle thanks to the extra gas coming back through the action on a semi-auto. Here are two examples out of many:

https://youtu.be/hY6J9lGLHY4

https://youtu.be/0L6lZ3Pi3Fc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconventional
As far as the hearing safe discussion goes, a key component is from where report of the gun is being measured. At the muzzle? 1 meter laterally and abreast with the muzzle with the microphone 1.6 meters off the ground as dictated by MIL-STD? At the shooter's ear? This can make a big difference in whether or not the shooter and bystanders are being exposed to harmful noise levels.
Regardless of where you measure it, a rifle with a silencer isn't anywhere close to "hearing safe" and will cause permanent hearing loss if you make a habit of firing it without hearing protection.

Last edited by Theohazard; June 22, 2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old June 22, 2017, 07:13 AM   #16
Mobuck

I question the logic of having or using a suppressor that isn't "hearing safe". What's the point?????
I wasn't satisfied with the noise reduction I was getting from a 30 cal can on a .223 and now have a .223 specific unit waiting for pickup. How much better it is will be determined.
My uses aren't "shoot-it-all-day" but more reasonably fire 1-4 shots w/o ringing my ears. That in itself may not be difficult but understand that I already have 60%+ hearing loss so my "threshold" is likely higher than many others.
Old June 22, 2017, 11:04 AM   #17
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
I question the logic of having or using a suppressor that isn't "hearing safe". What's the point?????
Even though it's not hearing safe from a medical perspective, a 5.56 with a silencer is still drastically quieter than without. Most people can fire a few shots outdoors with a suppressed 5.56 and not have any noticeable hearing damage. Some people can fire a lot more than a few shots and not notice. Some people notice ringing after just a few shots. I suppose it has to do with how sensitive a person's ears are and how much hearing damage they already have. But regardless, dB levels produced by a suppressed 5.56 are still WAY above the threshold for permanent hearing damage.

With my rifle silencers on my ARs, I can fire a few shots outdoors without noticing any hearing loss (it's probably still happening, but it's probably really incremental and I'm not worried about it), I can shoot at indoor ranges and not have to double up on ear pro, and I can shoot outdoors in rural areas and worry less about bothering neighbors.

Recently I took a friend and his two kids (10 and 12) to the indoor range I work at. We got an open bay to ourselves and I had some coworkers join us. Even with plugs and muffs, the 10-year-old flinched and moved away every time anyone fired in unsuppressed rifle. But when I was shooting my ARs with my cans on them -- even my louder 10.5 5.56 SBR -- it didn't bother her at all.
Old June 22, 2017, 12:59 PM   #18
Unconventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
Recently I took a friend and his two kids (10 and 12) to the indoor range I work at. We got an open bay to ourselves and I had some coworkers join us. Even with plugs and muffs, the 10-year-old flinched and moved away every time anyone fired in unsuppressed rifle. But when I was shooting my ARs with my cans on them -- even my louder 10.5 5.56 SBR -- it didn't bother her at all.

Could that be that the noise reduction of dual hearing protection is only slightly better than that of a suppressor? I am not being facetious.

I do not disagree that the noise reduction of a suppressor alone doesn't make it hearing safe. To do so would be very un-scientific of me. I must also admit that there are numerous variables at play in the efficiency of a suppressor, namely the action type, as you mentioned.

A suppressor and the courtesy it shows toward neighbors and bystanders is considerable, as shown by the reaction of your friend's kids.
Old June 22, 2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Yeah, why do folks wear NRR 20 or 25 muffs only when shooting a 165 db rifle? What's the point?

Theo touched on it. The damage being done is less, significantly so. Communication is much easier around weapons firing with suppressors as well. So that adds an additional level of safety. You have the courtesy factor to other shooters, but you also have the courtesy factor to other shooters when hunting, even if it is somebody on the next property. On top of that for hunting purposes, suppressed rifles are much less disturbing to wildlife.

You will always have the hunters that REFUSE to wear hearing protection, claiming they want to be able to hear what is going on around them (but won't bother to buy electronic hearing protection). So they suffer the booms of shooting, some even claiming it is part of the experience. Well with suppressors, they can go without much and suffer a lot less ear damage as a result.

It is amazing how many people who think that full power centerfire rifle rounds are hearing safe with suppressors. Virtually everyone who tells me this, I notice, already has significant hearing damage. A suppressed rifle won't ring their ears like an unsuppressed rifle and they don't even know that their hearing is being damaged.

The Silencerco Omega is one good suppressor to have to help prevent hearing loss.