The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 4, 2008, 04:15 AM   #1
buckeyered

tactical lights

I need a tactical light for both home and work use, I have seen the surefire and was looking for something less expensive. I found some lights on eBay called the alpha G6 and G8 at a reasonable price, does anyone know if they are any good or are there others I should look at that are in the 50-60 dollar price range?
Old November 4, 2008, 10:13 AM   #2
sholling

Fenix are good quality lights excellent bang for the buck flashlights but even their tactical lights will cost you a tiny bit more. I have their TK10 and TH11 and they put out a ton of light. I haven't tried their new AA powered TK20 but it's in your price range.

While not advertised as tactical you may also want to check out their Premium version of the P3D. That little guy puts out a ton of light.

Last edited by sholling; November 4, 2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old November 4, 2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Creature

I own the Fenix PD3Q5 (CR123 cell) and especially when in the 215 lumen TURBO mode, it is a BEAST in a very small package. I was skeptical whether it could actually produce that many lumens as advertised from such a small package before I bought it. But when it finally arrived in the mail and I fired it up, I was quickly convinced. If it isnt pushing all of the advertised 215 lumens, it is VERY close. It is like a little nuclear explosion in my hand.

I also like the flash mode...its a real dazzler.

While I miss the instant on/off, the PD3Q5 is my "go to" light that is ALWAYS with me. I retired my Surefire Z2 to the bedside table drawer.
Old November 4, 2008, 01:16 PM   #4
black bear 84

buckeyered,

It is much more to a tactical light than the title.
If you can't afford the Surefires go with the true tactical lights by Fenix, the T-1 or TK-10 or TK-11

The TK-11 will work with rechargeble 18650 Li Ion battery and will save you a lot of money in batteries.

I don't recommend the Fenix P3D for extended use with the turbo mode, as the heat sinking is not substantial as is with the big brothers T-1 and TK's.

If you use the P3D in the tubo mode for long, it can affect the tint of the light or even burn your module.

I do have the P3D and use it, but as a civilian my use of it on the turbo mode is very moderate.

If you have to work with the light, you are much better with a pure tactical Fenix.

If you want to read my reviews of the P3D and the T-1 Fenixes, you can find them here.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=239165&page=2

Cheers
Black Bear
e-mail [email protected]
Old November 4, 2008, 02:31 PM   #5
buckeyered

I ordered the TK-11, thanks for all the advice.