The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 2, 2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Colduglandon

S&W Model 22a 22s

Began this in Semi Automatic but at this point the Gun Smith forum may be more appropriate. One shooter on my pistol team has had his firing replaced 3 times. He shoots around 10k to 12k rounds a year.

Last night another 22a, different shooter, had the same thing happen. This gun is not used as extensively, and it took two years for the firing pin to go. Now the pin does not even strike the bottom of the case. Was wondering how difficult it is to change the firing pin on this model. It takes 5 weeks from the time the gun is returned to S&W until it comes back and the guy only owns one gun.
Old February 8, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2
PzGren

I had the firing pin break on my S&W M22A. I emailed S&W and under their lifetime warranty they mailed me a free firing pin. To change it is quite easy. I shot at least 15,000 rounds since then.
The M22A is prone to breakage and the cheapest of all my guns but I still like it. It is a great plinker and quite accurate.
Old February 8, 2005, 11:30 AM   #3
PzGren

Post scriptum

I had the envelope with the firing pin in less than two weeks.
Old February 9, 2005, 11:28 AM   #4
Colduglandon

PzGren

Both shooters enjoy shooting the gun. I was encouraging them to learn to fix the pin themselves so that they would not be without a pistol during the winter matches. I don't own this gun myself, and am not sure how easy it is to fix. I have had shotgun and rifle slides/bolts apart to clean, and have had to replace a shotgun firing pin years ago. I did not want to get them in over their head in doing the repair themselves if its not a simple repair. When they send the gun back to S&W it takes over a month.
Old February 9, 2005, 05:42 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

Do like he did

Instead of sending the gun back, simply do like he did and have them send the firing pin. Takes a lot less to get a part than it does to fix a gun in their shop.
Old February 10, 2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Colduglandon

I agree. If any one has done it I would like to know the procedure. Like I said I don't own the gun, if its relatively simple matter then I will work with the folks that own them. If not I don't want to get in over my head.
Old February 10, 2005, 07:44 PM   #7
m0ntels

Take out the slide assembly. You can tap out the plastic block at he front of the slide with a blunt object of some sort. You can get it out by tapping in the groove on the bottom running parallel to the firing pin or the little tab extending out the front when the operating rod runs through. Pop the plastic block all the way out. Near the back will be the pin that retains the firing pin. Poke at it and it should slide right out. Careful not to lose the spring. Firing pin will come right out. Install is reverse of removal. The hardest part is getting the plastic block out if you havent done it before as it will be all cruddy from burnt powder. I replaced the pin, op rod, buffer, op rod spring, the block, and got a few extra pins from S&W all at the same time and with shipping it was about $15 to basically rebuild the top half of the gun. It should take you about 5 minutes tops to do. If I can do it, anyone can!

Randy
Old February 10, 2005, 09:08 PM   #8
Colduglandon

Thanks. I'll pass this information along. It will save the guys on the team a lot of agrivation during the season.