The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 7, 2021, 02:54 PM   #26
ghbucky

I believe I saw a post on here some years ago that was immediately locked.. but someone posted that they were in deep do-do because they forgot they were carrying and attempted to enter some no-go building. I'm thinking a fed court house?

Anyway, the post was that he had been charged and was awaiting trial.

I've always kept that in the back of my head about 'too comfortable'
Old April 7, 2021, 04:05 PM   #27
Rockrivr1

I'm very comfortable and will "forget" I'm carrying for most firearms that I have carried. The only exception is when I carried a 3" 1911. For some reason I was hung up with the cocked and locked process of carrying a 1911. Was always concerned with accidentally bumping the safety off. I know, stupid, but it is what it is.
Old April 8, 2021, 01:35 PM   #28
Prof Young

Rockrivr1 . . . not stupid

Rockrivr1:

I don't think that's stupid at all.

I am not comfortable carrying cocked and locked. Yeah, I know those guns were designed to be safe in that mode, but it still gives me pause.

I have one gun I carry cocked and locked, and that is only because I haul it in a thumb strap release holster. That strap blocks the hammer from the firing pin. Thus three things would have to happen for an accidental discharge. Fall out of holster, safety pops off, trigger gets pulled. Probably ain't gonna happen.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old April 8, 2021, 01:41 PM   #29
Pistoler0

DA/SA are great for carrying cocked and locked, if you are not comfortable carrying a striker fired gun cocked and locked.
Old April 8, 2021, 04:41 PM   #30
Ricklin

A rule

That little LCP is "almost" too easy to carry.

Prior to the LCP was a G19. I would often transfer it from IWB to my backpack which is always with me.
I ended that practice very quickly. The LCP just disappears a little too easily.

My concern is primarily those nice TSA folks should I need to hop a plane. On body carry only for the LCP.
That would be a major oops. I once had to deal with the police at the airport over a handgun, thanks to an SWA ticket agent anti gun TWIT.

I would rather not repeat that experience, thank you. All was OK in the end, it was an unpleasant experience.
Old April 8, 2021, 04:54 PM   #31
zxcvbob

I only carried for while; my permit expired and I haven't renewed it. And haven't seen a need to ignore the permit and carry anyway (I would if there was a specific threat, OTOH if there was a specific threat I'd probably stay home) But I remember early on when I was at a hotel in Wisconsin, looking for my gun when I was headed out (a 4" Ruger Security Six, which is pretty heavy) and it was on my belt already I realized I was more used to it than I thought.
Old April 8, 2021, 05:42 PM   #32
DaleA

Quote:
My concern is primarily those nice TSA folks should I need to hop a plane.
Well you wouldn't be the Lone Ranger there. IIRC there were over two THOUSAND instances of people showing up at the airport packing.

*Edited: In 2020 the number was 3,257 even though airline travel was significantly less.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/press/relea...0were%20loaded.
Old April 8, 2021, 05:43 PM   #33
JustJake

Quote:
DA/SA are great for carrying cocked and locked, if you are not comfortable carrying a striker fired gun cocked and locked
Or any C&L gun.

DA/SA S&W 3rd Gens pistols were, and still are, especially great for CCW. Like my most awesome 4.25" 4566.

Slim-packing so it conceals well, and it's faster to draw and fire than a C&L 1911 since there's no extra micro-second of thumb manipulation needed to swipe off the thumb safety.

It's just draw-n-fire.
Old April 8, 2021, 10:26 PM   #34
Ingramite

"In 2021 low-capacity boat anchors are generally passe, except as range toys."

Oh boy.