The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2016, 03:02 PM   #1
DMY

Missouri coated bullet questions

I made my first purchase of Missouri Hi-Tek coated bullets recently after using Berry's plated bullets for the past year. I have 2 questions.

1. After the first shot at an indoor range, I immediately noticed the smoke given off had very different smell compared to lead, plated and/or jacketed bullets. I use Bullseye, TightGroup and 231 and know those smells pretty well. Does anyone have any information whether the smoke given off by the Hi-Tek bullet coating is worse or not as bad for you as lead or plated bullets? Common sense tells me that lead is probably the worse and that coating a bullet may reduce the amount of lead in the smoke. I like the indoor range because I can retrieve my targets when desired.

2. One of the bullets I purchased was the 125 gr "Cowboy Load" in .38/.357 which is a round nose with a flat tip made for reduced velocities. When seating this bullet, I noticed that some of the coating is removed around the perimeter of the flat tip when the seating plunger comes in contact with the bullet. I tried to be very careful when aligning the bullet with the belled case mouth and I switched back and forth between a round seating plunger to a flat one without any difference. I crimp using a separate die and separate step. When I was being as careful as practical (i.e.: not taking 15 seconds per round to try to perfectly align the two), I was still rubbing off some of the coating in approximately 1 out of every 3 bullets. Anyone have suggestions how to seat these bullets without damaging the coating?
Old February 1, 2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Gadawg88

I have no idea about the smoke and its relative toxicity. Some die makers will create a custom seating stem that might solve the problem with rubbing off the coating if it is worth the trouble. I used to use lead bullets, then switched to plated. The coated bullets caught my attention when MB came out with them. But, the price is so close to plated, I never felt the need to even try them.
Old February 1, 2016, 04:07 PM   #3
hartcreek

When seating a bullet that I do not have the proper plunger for I use wax to make one. Just heat some wax preferably paraffin and fill the recess in the plunger and while the wax is still soft seat one of your bullets in it. This will make the form to fit what you need to load.
Old February 1, 2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Clark

The powder could be what dealt it that you smelt it.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 1, 2016, 06:39 PM   #5
DMY

I dealt it and smelt (sic) it.

Having shot my share of Bullseye, TightGroup and 231, I know their smells very well. I immediately noticed that the Missouri Hi-Tek smell was different, almost like burning plastic. I did not notice any different residue on my guns, but was just wondering whether anyone else investigated or gave it a second thought.

As for making a specialized plunger using wax, that is a good idea. I might try that with a spare plunger.
Old February 1, 2016, 07:12 PM   #6
Mauser69

Missouri Hi Tek bullets stink to high heaven. I HATE the smell, but use the bullets anyway.

I do not have an answer to your problem damaging the coating. Sounds like you have an issue damaging the bullet tip - never have seen that. I load them in .38, .40 and .44 without that problem. You may be crimping too soon and trying to ram the bullet deeper after the crimp?
Old February 1, 2016, 08:00 PM   #7
DMY

bullet not damaged during crimping

Mauser69:
Actually, the Hi-Tek coating is scratched / removed during the bullet seating only. I do not crimp during the seating step. I use a separate Redding profile crimping die after the bullets are seated. It does not have a plunger, so I do not believe the bullets are being pushed down further after crimping. The scratched / removed coating is at the outer perimeter of the flat nose. Thanks for your response about the smell. I thought I was being overly sensitive.
Old February 1, 2016, 09:06 PM   #8
sawdustdad

I've shot thousands of the Missouri bullet co. Hi Tek coated cowboy bullets--most in .38 special, 125g RNFP and TCFP.

I used to notice the smell, but don't notice it any more. Have no idea about toxicity. I shoot outdoors most of the time, and my indoor range has an elaborate ventilation system that pulls smoke away from you.

Can't be any worse than lead.
Old February 1, 2016, 11:23 PM   #9
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I immediately noticed the smoke given off had very different smell
And this ^^ is why I don't use coated bullets. They smell like burning electrical insulation that I find - quite literally - nauseating. It's awful. It can't be healthy (no smoke is, I know).

I can handle the smell if it's now and then (like in a competition, where there isn't constant shooting). But if it's at a range, where I'm shooting near-constantly, there better be a stiff breeze to my back.

A couple years back, I bought 1000 coated 148 DEWC's (I won't say from whom because they're a fine company and there's no need to in the context of this post). I loaded up 50 of them, and haven't loaded any since. I suppose some day I will - and shoot them on breezy days.

I gave coated bullets the ol' "college try;" but for me, I much prefer lead and plated.
Old February 2, 2016, 01:16 AM   #10
Tsquared

I have tried a few different coated bullets trying to find an economical replacement for my 45 target bullets that were discontinued 2 years ago. I shoot on an outdoor range so there is no smell issue. For 45ACP and 45GAP I have tried bullets that were supposed to be .452 but had a variance is size of .002 and a weight variance of 1.6 gr above and below the advertised weight from various manufacturers. I have found a good replacement with Monmouth 45 Cal 200gr Semi Wad Cutter – Coated bullets as it is consistent with size and weight.

I worked up two different powder loads for the 45 Cal 200gr Semi Wad Cutter – Coated bullets and I have a Bullseye 5 gr load and Universal Clays 5.7 gr load that works very well for my 45GAP. The Universal looks a bit better as I put 6 bullets in a 1" circle at 10 yards - I did have one flier as I pulled one of the shots and I knew it when it happened. It did mess with me as I put the first three shots in the same place on the target - the range official was watching and he confirmed that the first three were all in the same hole.

Fun day at the range. I just need to load up the rest of the slugs to the same specs so I have some target ammo.
Old February 2, 2016, 07:16 AM   #11
Real Gun

Some of my seating dies came with two seating stems. I always use the flat nosed one t match my flat-nosed bullets. The concave-nosed stem would create that evidence of contact around the perimeter of the TCFP bullet tip.

I use lots of MO coated bullets but shoot outdoors. All I can offer is to be glad you aren't shooting black powder.

I have wondered about the coating melting or even burning, since I seem to be cleaning plastic more than lead from my barrels. It is still hard to get back to a shiny bore, with my lead removal techniques still seeming to apply. Some of the loads are substantial, a few with magnum powder.