The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 27, 2014, 05:28 PM   #51
fastbolt

Stances?

"Stances" as a starting (learning) point, or an end within itself?

Stationary or moving? Standing, kneeling or sitting? Barricade/cover or moving & stepping up/down inclines, curbs, stairs, etc? How about prone or supine, including get down and up?

Situational and tactical context is needed. Some flexibility in application, too.

I remember working hard on learning to master many stances as a young martial artist. Had to move sometime, though. Couldn't always predict where I'd be moving into a stance, either. Seemed natural to eventually carry over experience gained in the arts regarding body positioning, balance and body awareness/kinesthetics to my shooting.

Joking aside, discussions of one-size-fits-all-situations-and-persons "stances" in shooting reminds me of the frequent debates in my early martial arts days, when lots of practitioners felt the need to argue that their style and technique would work better against the average "street fighter" than any other style.

What looks good on the tatami, mats or hardwood - standing in front of mirrored walls - might not necessarily work out to best advantage in actual real world conditions.

The same thing might be said for shooting stances and techniques that work well on slow-mo static ranges, for leisurely plinking or in carefully controlled drill/comp venues.

Not everyone seems to stop to consider that fighting with a handgun and doing target shooting with a handgun might not overlap to the degree thought.

I seldom burden the folks I help train with any names of stances for shooting. Different things work at different times, for different people and under different conditions. Results matter, in the end.

Gotta start learning somewhere, though. Getting locked into something which hinders versus helps makes things harder.
Old June 27, 2014, 08:14 PM   #52
Jim243

Quote:
In theory maybe, but it falls apart in reality.
Actually it doesn't and I use it all the time during a IDPA match while moving or going for cover. But I guess there will always be some that don't understand and stand flat footed making themselves a bigger target. (LOL)

Some people never learn and can't shoot one handed, they should be going for a rifle instead of a handgun then. (LOL) And I guess there will always be jerks around that want to tear down what others do.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; June 27, 2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old June 27, 2014, 08:31 PM   #53
Marty8613

Ha ha, like you have a choice when SHTF, practice it all.
Old June 28, 2014, 11:28 AM   #54
Model12Win

Pretty much stand Weaver as that's all I shoot anyhow, unless I'm shooting 1 handed 19th century style for my cap and ball revolver!

Last edited by Model12Win; June 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM.