The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 11, 2014, 02:56 PM   #26
TimSr

I switched to the GP100 for a nightstand gun for the simplicity of operation when groggy and in the dark.

Before that I had a 439 S&W 9mm, and every time I picked it up to go outside and investigate a noise I would drop the mag out, rack it open to see if I had a round in the chmaber, and see whether the safety was on or off because I could never remember what state I left it in. Yes, a chambered round with safety off, and uncocked (since it was double action) was the best way to leave it, but I was never confident of that when I picked it up.

Now, its a matter of picking it up and pulling the trigger. I carry a .38 snubbie for the same reason.
Old November 11, 2014, 03:13 PM   #27
manta49

Quote:
but ....... you think "thinking what to do if they are in the house" would be a good idea ......

You lost me there somewhere
I would see that as a sensible precautions if someone is concerned that someone could get into your house, before I started worrying what to do if they get in. I suppose you could call it what if, I would call it common sense. One of the favourite methods of murdering people here was to come trough your door using a sledge hammer, so putting measures in place to stop that happening was the sensible thing to do.

Last edited by manta49; November 11, 2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old November 11, 2014, 04:44 PM   #28
serf 'rett

Will the firearm be damaged?

I don't think so. If a spring were to get weak, I should know this since I shoot what I carry and any firearm which might be used for defense. A spring is cheap and easily replaced.

If you're shooting what you might be using, then you should know if a problem develops.
Old November 11, 2014, 05:38 PM   #29
4thPoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg
As far as cocked and locked, I think it's dangerous to have a loaded, chambered round, safety off, hammer drawn back, ready to fire, when you jump up from a deep sleep because of a crashing noise.
But... what you said is not the definition of 'cocked and locked'.
Old November 11, 2014, 08:48 PM   #30
Auto5

I keep a loaded magazine, but an empty chamber, in my Browning HP, a throwback to the days when I had little ones about. Just habit now, since my carry gun sits next to it, locked and loaded.