The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 2002, 09:57 PM   #1
.45FMJoe

Best holster for me?

I have my Colt Gov't model 1911 with me at work, but my father doesn't want me to have it on a hip holster. He prefers I not have it out in plain sight to the customers. I tried his holster, but my 1911 is a large gun (obviously) and the holster rode too low and the slide stuck out under my t-shirt. I don't care about it buldging on my side. I want the most inexpensive holster that I can put on my belt that will hold the gun up on my side as opposed to down lower on my side. Suggestions? My dad's holster for his PT-945 is a nylon type material with a full "fluffy" lining he bought for $15 at the gun show. I'd love to use it, but like I said, it rides too low. Any help?
Old December 17, 2002, 10:40 PM   #2
Edward429451

You got lots of good holsters to choose from but they may not be cheap. If you want cheap, expect cheap!

I use Ted Blocker IWB holster for my 1911, it rides nice & high.
I use a Galco Crossdraw holster more and more, nice&high.
I have a Galco MOB (middle of back) holster which rides butt up and is suprisingly fast...

If he really really wants you to switch holsters, maybe he would spring for one for you? 75 bucks will get you about any good holster. A full size pistol deserves a good holster and not a cheapie, IMO.

Good luck finding one that works for you.
Old December 17, 2002, 11:23 PM   #3
Jim V

Well, not knowing the type of clothing you wear at work or your build or what you do makes it kind of hard to make an intellegent answer. For inexpensive but well made, I'm told, look at Fobus holsters here. Or perhaps some of the Fist offerings here.
Old December 18, 2002, 12:16 AM   #4
DPSproles

Smaller gun - but my thoughts

I have a FIST, FOBUS and BLADE TECH for my Kahr K9. I know that my gun is much smaller than your 1911, but the concept and thoughts are the same.

FIST is exceptional in their leather and I hear great things of their KYDEX. The fit and finish is great and they have TONS of options and styles to choose from. They were fairly fast and good to deal with.

The cheap side will be the FOBUS, but I don't think that it will rise high enough for you. Not a bad "cheap" holster, but not the best IMO.

BLADE TECH - just picked one up for my Kahr and I am extremely impressed with their fit and finish. It could ride slightly higher, but it is a great littel holster.

Fist cost me about $50-60 and the FOBUS will cost you less than $25. The Blade Techs get pricely, but they are great holsters.

Good luck!

David
Old December 18, 2002, 06:44 AM   #5
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

G-Code
Rides high and close to the body. It’s just my opinion but I think at $44.95 they are the best value.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old November 10, 2005, 04:16 PM   #6
sheriff-g

How about this holster?
http://www.cowboyneeds.com/660.html
Old November 11, 2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Eric Larsen

Carrying a Fullsize 1911 IWB or very concealed can be a trick.....lots of the better makers can help you out. Brommeland, Del Fatti, Alessi, Bulman, Sparks.....etc all make things that will make a Govt. model dissappear very comfortably. Look around and see what you think will work for you and contact the maker........
Those who carry 1911's know how to make this stuff work very very well.
Shoot well.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old November 16, 2005, 07:00 PM   #8
1911Outfitters

A very important and often overlooked part of a good concealment system is a good gun belt. The world’s best holster used with a flimsy belt will not conceal a 1911 very well.
Old December 2, 2005, 10:33 AM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

The good news is that a full size 1911 can be carried easily in a good holster on a good, stiff belt (don't neglect the belt -- 1911Outfitters is right on). I use either a Galco Avenger OWB or a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 IWB, and I wear a double thick belt made by Galco. the combination works very well.

But the bad news is that they are not cheap. There are other good holster and belt makes, but they're not cheap either. Kydex or plastic by Forbus will cost less than leather and still be fully servicable. And an outfit called The Wilderness makes a good, reasonably prices web-type belt that's reinforced to support a holster. (http://thewilderness.com/ -- look for the Original Instructor's Belt, 5-stitch).

The thing to remember is that you're carrying a weapon. It need to be held securely and comfortably and still be readily accessable.
Old December 2, 2005, 11:16 AM   #10
Musketeer

Go to http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

I have a 5" 1911 in one of their IWBs right now and not only is it the most comfortable rig I own, it is also very concealable. I hvae mine "tucked" at present and it dissapears!

Even better is that they are running a sale, $36 DELIVERRED! Turnaround is pretty quick and they are great to deal with. I highly reccomend them.