The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 12, 2018, 09:00 AM   #126
Slamfire

Quote:
Putting your thumb on a cocked hammer, pulling the trigger and slowly lowering the hammer with a live round in the chamber can be done safely? As long as nothing unexpected happens while performing this operation.
I don't like the thumb technique and it is the technique, because of hammer's propensity to slip away from the thumb, managed to change the condition 2 method of carry to the next method of, "Cocked and locked" in your flap holster.

I jam the middle finger of the left hand under the hammer. I pull the trigger with the right hand, and slowly slide the middle finger of the left hand out from under the hammer, easing the hammer down slowly. I also have the forefinger of the left hand on the top of the hammer spur, and the thumb of the left hand under the hammer spur. Once I get the middle finger totally out, I can still ease the hammer all the way down with the thumb and fore finger.

Using the right thumb to lower the hammer will result in an accidental discharge. And it has, one of the earliest documented accidental discharges that I found in print, occurred at Camp Perry before WW1. A competitor was lowering the hammer, in his tent, and the hammer slipped. The bullet hit an Army Officer 200 yards away, he survived.
Old March 12, 2018, 10:48 AM   #127
cw308

I use to carry in condition 2 with a 1911 . To lower the hammer on a live chambered round , I would hold the hammer press the trigger remove my thumb from around the grip safety release pressure from the trigger , the pistol goes into half cocked safety , grip the grip safety , press the trigger to lower from half cocked . Felt very comfortable doing it that way in two steps . Now I carry in 3
Old March 12, 2018, 11:14 AM   #128
JoeSixpack

For those who either physically can't or are worried of the hammer slipping when thumbing down a hammer.

There is the pinch method, use 2 hands, 1 to operate the trigger the other to pinch the hammer between the thumb and index finger.. this method removes any issues with your ability to "reach" the hammer fully down and allows you to put a death grip on it if you want.

Also if your gun has a firing pin block, only hold the trigger long enough to release the sear, after that let go and the firing pin block will save you on a slip.. some guns have half cocked so you'll have to hold longer to get past that.
Old March 17, 2018, 02:28 AM   #129
rock185

I did lower the hammer manually on my issued 1911A1, with loaded chamber, while serving in RVN many years ago. Fortunately, no NDs occurred. In the years since, I have adopted a practice to ensure that I don't accidentally drop the hammer on a semi-auto with loaded chamber, and experience an ND. I don't manually lower the hammer on a loaded chamber. I've had no need to, and I just don't..........ymmv
Old March 17, 2018, 05:58 AM   #130
Chui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
That's great that the FBI HRT uses those. But I fail to see how that proves the pistol can't discharge from a shorter drop.

They don't: titanium 9mm firing pin; low mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 17, 2018, 09:07 AM   #131
cw308

What ever the style of carry your doing , you practice with a unloaded pistol . You get the feel of the gun in L& C moving the safety on an off . Cond.2 racking the slide as in Condition.1 finger off the trigger. Knowing how hard the hammer falls when gripping the hammer an press to release trigger . No matter what your doing with your firearm , carrying , drawing , aiming and pressing the trigger to hit what your aiming at . No excuse for error when handling a deadly weapon.
Old March 17, 2018, 11:01 AM   #132
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chui View Post
They don't: titanium 9mm firing pin; low mass.

Very low possibility is not the same thing as can’t.