The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 19, 2018, 09:29 AM   #1
Normanator

S&K Enfield No4 scope mount ?'s

Good morning, I recently saved a very bubba'd No4 Mk1 and am going to make a clone "T" model out of it just for a range and display piece. I have seen that the S&K mounts tend to get good reviews as they are easy to remove without permanently altering the rifle (this one unfortunately it matters a lot less on as it's been pretty messed with).
Just wanted to see if anyone here had a different experience with their "insta-mount" or had a recommendation for something better? I've looked through older threads, and just thought I'd try to get a fresh take on it in case something new was out there.
Appreciate it!
Old February 19, 2018, 09:58 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd buy those reproduction mounting pads (for the receiver) and scope mount from Numrich.

To install them, you'll need a real gunsmith who will have to remove the barrel and make a mandrel for the receiver. He must have a milling machine too.
Old February 19, 2018, 11:00 AM   #3
taylorce1

I don't know anything about that scope mount, but S&K makes a quality product.
Old February 19, 2018, 12:09 PM   #4
RC20

I have used two of the SK mounts.

One was a 1903, worked ok, it did have a screw that set to metal and marred it a bit.
Quality wise it was very good and the gun it went on was no issue.

The other is a Model of 1917, they had more to work with for a mount and it is perfectly non impact as well as easy to put on or take off.

The only issue is that due to the mount location and setup, the scope is raised quite a bit and you don't get a cheek weld.

In your case as the rifle has been done in, probably work.

Regular scope mount certainly more usable so depends more on if you want to switch back to standard appearance.
Old February 19, 2018, 12:37 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...going to make a clone..." Assuming it's been sporterised, finding a complete stock will be an issue. An expensive issue. Stock sets don't exist any more so you'll be buying all the parts separately. If you can find 'em all. It's mostly all the wee metal bits that will hurt financially.
Before you do anything, check the headspace and slug the barrel. No point restoring a rifle with bad headspace without fixing that first(easy to do on a No. 4. Unless the bolt head you have is a 2 or 3. Gunparts has no bolts heads in stock.). Or a barrel that's over .312" diameter. There are no jacketed bullets bigger than that. Montana Bullets does make cast bullets up to .314", as I recall.
Old February 19, 2018, 03:34 PM   #6
Normanator

I have seen a few stock sets on eBay, and have a fellow local forum member with a set he said I could have, so that's ok there. Found a few sites with bolt parts listed, so head spacing shouldn't be an issue, won't close on a go-to as is anyway. To get the proper cheek weld I am going to make a bolt on block like the T's had, just a bit taller for the extra height the mounts have (same guy is giving me the measurements off his).
I've heard nothing but poor things about reproduction mounts and scopes- cracking, failing to hold zero, etc, and the gun isn't worth the extra cash that comes with having a Smith do all that millwork frankly (I paid $20 for it). I'm just looking to make something that resembles the T-Model from a distance and is fun to take to the range and knock down some targets with every now and then. The stock set won't be an actual T-Model, but that's okay for this project. Eventually I will want to buy an original condition one, and will gladly pay for that when the time comes, this is more A Conversation Piece and a fun project to bring something like this essentially back from the dead.
Old February 20, 2018, 09:21 PM   #7
agtman

Those are junk.