The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 1, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1
xjz

mossberg accu-set choke barrels

I just bought the mossberg 500 combo from Big 5 and the gun came with an 18.5 inch security barrel with cylinder bore choke and a 28" vented rib barrel with an accu-set choke. I'm currious if this accu-set choke barrel is an interchangeable choke barrel or not, because the end of the barrel has no threads on it so how would the choke be installed/attached when there is no threads. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old November 2, 2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Maser

Are you talking about the 18.5" bbl using the chokes? If so then you would need to tap the barrel to accept the choke tubes.
Old November 2, 2006, 02:54 PM   #3
xjz

No, I know the 18.5" barrel in just an open bore barrel with no choke but the 28" barrel is susposed to be a barrel that uses accu-set chokes but there is no threads on the end of the barrel and it didn't come with a choke wrench. I'm assumeing I got a 28" barrel that doesn't accept chokes even though it says its susposed to, but I didn't know if there was some other way they attached the choke to the barrel (like a collet) instread of using threads.
Old November 3, 2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Cuc Tu

I bet it is a fixed mod choke...that is what Big5 had. Where did you see it saying it was accu-choke?
Old November 5, 2006, 06:17 PM   #5
Nagano21

If it is like the one I just picked up, it is the 500 with a 28inch vented barrel, it comes with three accu chokes... Imp, mod and full. If you are lookin for more chokes they all take accu-choke...hope this helps.
Old November 5, 2006, 08:08 PM   #6
xjz

I was mistaken, I thought i had read somewhere that it had a 28" vent rib barrel that accepts accu-set chokes but I checked on the box again and it says the 28" barrel is a fixed mod choke. I can remember where I got the idea that the barrel woudl accept chokes. I know on Mossbergs website they dont sell a replacement 28" barrel with a fixed choke so I may have got it from there while doing some pre-purchase research.
Old November 6, 2006, 12:23 AM   #7
Cuc Tu

Exactly, mee too, I got suckered into the same thinking. I even had the idea that the riot barrel came with a heat shield.

wishful thinking.

It's a good setup regardless and a great deal with the combo package.