The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Nagano21

Twin bead rib barrel

So as I have mentioned in a previous thread I am in the market for a new shotgun. I am pretty sure I am going to be going with the Mossberg 500 over the Rem 870 for what some people have said, and from some research I have done online.

My only question is that what I am going to buy comes with a 28'' Twin bead vent ribbed barrel, with a modified choke tube. Now with this was can and can not I shoot from this shotgun... ie slugs, and what types of shot.

I am looking for something to shoot both slugs and shot from for hunting and trap/skeet. I really am not too knowledgeable about this (as you can tell), so I am not sure if the barrel will work, and or if all I need are some new choke tubes or what.

All help appreciated.
Old October 30, 2006, 06:34 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

Best bet is to get out and shoot examples of both guns before you make up your mind. Trigger time now can help prevent unhappiness with your choice later. Surely you have friends and relatives who are shotgunners and who would let you shoot their guns, or there is a gun club nearby that rents shotguns...

For general use the barrel you describe should do just fine for clay games, small game hunting and wingshooting, and will likely shoot slugs well too- the twin beads can work sort of like rifle sights if you experiment a bit. You should be able to shoot any shell of the proper length and gauge OK, but do check on the steel shot question for your barrel and choke tube- some are 'lead shot only'. You might want to get a shorter barrel later if you want to use the gun for home defense as well.

Stay safe,

lpl/nc
Old October 30, 2006, 06:51 PM   #3
skeeter1

I've got two SxS doubles, one with a single bead at the end of the rib, the other with two beads. The one with the two beads works better for me on the traprange. Neither one of them is worth a hoot for shooting slugs. Great for gameshooting and target clays.
Old October 30, 2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Nagano21

Thanx Lee,

It is strictly for game, and clay shooting, got my handguns for home defense. I do have a lot of fam/friends with many different shotguns. My brother has the 535, I have shot it alot and enjoy it. I have never shot a 870 though. The thing is my brother and I are going on a hunt this weekend, and now I am in a diff. state at college, and can not get home in enough time to go try diff ones out then go hunting. As of now I have a 16gauge, but I have been looking for a 12 for a while, and this is pretty much going to be an impulse by before we head out sat.

I will def have to look at what I can and can't shoot before I buy or run anything through it.

Thanks again
Old October 30, 2006, 08:25 PM   #5
clayshooter2u

Like the man said , if you can try them out first. Most people are more than willing to let you shoot there gun at the range , or rent one for a round. It is
ALL personal preference , I have 5 Sporting Clay Guns that all came with double beads , I hate them and I had the 1st one removed on all of them
and put HI-Viz on the end.
Old October 31, 2006, 02:52 AM   #6
sm

Lee Lapin speaks true.

Re: Twin beads. A shotgun is pointed, not aimed,
One should be focused on the leading edge of target - not the gun.
The reason for the twin beads came out when shooters began to pre-mount the gun before calling for the bird to make sure they were not canting the gun.

Orginally in skeet for example, the gun was shot from low gun postion akin to 5 stand, and Sporting Clays. later premounting the gun was allowed.

I learned to shoot shotguns without any beads, from low gun. Many top shooters with custom fitted guns - do not have beads on their guns on purpose.

Gun fit is that important, hence the suggestions to try various guns before you buy.

Now, I have used two bead guns, I happed to like them - for me. As I can if need use them for "aiming" with slugs. Then again, I have shot running targets with shotguns using slugs, and the gun had no beads...from the low gun position as well.

Gun fit, correct basic fundamentals, and training is the key.
Old October 31, 2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Nagano21

I actually should have changed my question around a bit, I understand what the twin bead is, I was more confused about what [B]Rib barrel[B]Meant. I know shotguns are traditionaly smooth bore, but ribbed now does that mean it is grooved down the bore?

Now where I also get confused is that for any type of shot arent you suppose to always shoot it out a smooth bore, but when it comes to slugs you can use smooth or grooved/rifled?

Thanks
Old October 31, 2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Ruger4570

Your best bet for slug shooting is to buy a second barrel with rifle sights already on it. Mossberg makes barrels very reasonably price for their guns and also the Rem 870.
Old October 31, 2006, 08:07 PM   #9
Lee Lapin

Ribs are on top of the barrel to give your eye a guide for pointing the gun. See http://www.hallowellco.com/ventilated_rib.htm .

Google is your friend... 8^).

lpl/nc
Old October 31, 2006, 10:45 PM   #10
Nagano21

Thanks for the link