The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 10, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1
kay_gee

taking another leap with Kel-Tec

i was at my local shooting range the other day and a lady there was shooting her kel tec pf9 while i was out with my p3at..i love the size of kel tecs anyone have any trouble with them and i would like to see some holster ideas of owb holsters and iwb holsters...input is much appreciated
Old December 10, 2009, 04:08 PM   #2
JohnnyBmore

people have all kinds of trouble with the P3AT but I would have to say I love it & have not had one issue in 400 rnds .....
Old December 10, 2009, 04:28 PM   #3
kay_gee

on my p3at i actually only had 1 hiccup i dont have problems with my guns peopel say taurus is horrible 500+ rounds and not 1 problem what so ever...same with my kel tec maybe were just the lucky ones...but im seriously considering the pf9 as .380 ammo is hard to find...
Old December 10, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
CWPinSC

People either love them or hate them. My PF-9 was flawless with over 2,000 rounds through it, and I carried it daily for two years. It ate ammo my other 9 mils wouldn't. Plenty accurate at personal defense ranges. Has quite a kick, though - hang on to the little sucker!

Holsters? Lots of holsters fit this little cannon. Pick one you like.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:02 PM   #5
imp

My PF-9 is 100% reliable for the last year and a half and around 700 rounds of WWB, Wolf, and Speer Gold Dot.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Furminator

Never had any problem with my PF9 and I've shot it quite a bit. I like it so much, I'm strongly considering buying a PMR 30. If I were going to carry it concealed, it would be with a DeSantis Nemesis.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:41 PM   #7
gb_in_ga

I've got a PF-9 which has become my EDC. It had feeding issues the first time out to the range, when I ran 100 rounds through it to break it in. After the subsequent thorough cleaning, it has been 100% reliable.

Most of the time, I just use the factory belt clip (available from KelTec) in lieu of a holster.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:42 PM   #8
DocDizz

I have a P-11 that hasn't given me any problems, but I'm actually trying to sell it to finance another pricey purchase.
Old December 10, 2009, 05:51 PM   #9
kay_gee

do you have pics of your p11 ill gladly take it off your hands...pm me if interested
Old December 10, 2009, 11:09 PM   #10
phrogpilot

i HAVE HAD MY pf-9 FOR A YEAR; ABSOLUTELY 100%. i CARRY IT EVERY DAY. ON THE OTHER HAND, I HAD A P3-AT WHICH WAS NEVER 100%, DESPITE GOING BACK TO KELTEC ONCE. I FINALLY GOT RID OF IT AND GOT THE RUGER LCP, WHICH HAS BEEN PERFECT.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:14 PM   #11
skifast

I like my PF-9. However, it was not perfect. For me, making the necessary mods and fixes were justified given the price difference between the KT and Kahr. In addition, I have read that the Kahr's also have some problems. I would have been really ticked to spend the money on a Kahr and have it not reliably feed HPs.

I carry it most of the time. Pocket carry is not a problem for me with shorts.

Here is what I did to mine:

1. Sent it to Golden loki on ktog.org for a fluff and buff. For $20 you can't beat it.

2. Added the Handall Jr. grip with tennis wrap under the Handall on the front and back straps. This little mod effectively tames the recoil.

3. Added a laser, Armalaser RSS.

4. Put Kahr grip extensions on the mags.

5. Mine would not feed hollowpoints. The problem is that the stock mag springs are weak. I replaced mine with Wolff Springs for the Kahr 6 round 9mm mag. Had to dremel a lot of the follower to make it fit. No problems with any ammo now.

It was a pain to have to make the mags work. I am disappointed that Keltec has not fixed the problem. That being said, I really like the size of the gun, the caliber and the price.

Make sure you check out the ktog.org boards.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:15 PM   #12
skifast

I carry mine in:

Nemesis Pocket Holster

High Noon Split Decision

KHolster

I have an Armalaser RSS on my PF9. The High Noon and Kholster fit my Taurus OSS and the PF9 with the laser.

Most of the time the PF9 is in the High Noon holster, due to its slimness. The only downside is that reholstering is an issue.
Old December 11, 2009, 07:33 AM   #13
Pico

Kel Tec 9 mm

Shoot one first. I have a P-11 and love it but I've found out most people who shoot it don't. With the light weight it kicks like crazy and is noisy. Anytime I shoot it people think I have something much larger and are always shocked to see the little P-11 making all that racket. It is not a gun you take to the range with 300 rounds.

My P-11 has gone back home once for repairs but they did not charge and gave a quick turnaround. Overall, I have not had much trouble with it.

There are other small semi-autos out now that weren't when I bought my gun that would prompt me to look around, maybe spend a little more money but if you can handle the recoil, I would go for a PF-9 or P-11.

Love them or hate them, KT is a very innovative company especially after seeing pics of this new .22 mag auto loader coming out next year.

Pico
Old December 11, 2009, 09:43 AM   #14
Russ5924

Been carrying a P3AT now for about three years have not had one problem with it. Once a month I shoot it empty reload and put it back in my pocket I also clean it every month and switch magazines every other month. Only thing I wish it would lock back at the last shot the .32 does