The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2000, 10:23 AM   #1
dundee

I just read a post on subguns forum about double base powders "bleeding" nitro when stored at high temperatures and humidity. The powder mentioned was Unique. This causes the powder to be unstable and very erratic in velocity.
This caused me to see what powders are NOT double based. The only 2 manufactures I came up with are IMR in their SR4756 - SR7625 powders and Vihtavuori. Has anyone tried loading cowboy loads with Vihtavuori powders??
Since Unique has been around just about since smokeless powder was loaded I'm surprised there have't been more comments about this. Maybe its only true in LONG term storage?
Old August 25, 2000, 11:56 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

The obvious solution to the nitro bleeding problem, if it really exists, is to never store your powder at high temperature and humidity no matter what its composition is.

VV has some good reloading data on their web site: VihtaVuori. I have used several of their powders in light 45 Colt and .357 Mag loads and find them to be relatively clean burning. I remember seeing a picture of a cowboy action shooter at one of the meets (Trail's End, I think) who called himself "The VihtaVuori Boy".