The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 11, 2017, 11:46 PM   #1
chrisintexas

all weather 45-70 lever action rifle

what brands would you recommend?
thanks
Old December 12, 2017, 04:38 AM   #2
ms6852

Marlin 1895.https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...iRes/41204.jpg
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/57852.jpg
Old December 12, 2017, 07:19 AM   #3
eastbank

I hunt in some wet snowy conditions and if I don,t leave my blue firearms set very long before cleaning I have not had any problems with rust, I also clean my SS firearms the same way. if I couldn,t clean my firearms as quick as I do then maybe SS all the way. eastbank.
Old December 12, 2017, 07:24 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

I have 2 Marlin 1895 guns. Both have been through the rain, and muddy swamps of the Piney Woods. I wiped them down at the end of the trip. No rust on either.
Old December 12, 2017, 12:51 PM   #5
ms6852

Same here. I spray my rifle with WD-40 before leaving the house if I am going hunting and it is drizzling or snowing outside. When I am done I spray it with wd-40 again as it is a water repellant wipe it off and oil again.
Old December 12, 2017, 06:20 PM   #6
jmr40

I hunted with a blue Remington 700 for the better part of 40 years in all sorts of weather. Today the metal has a few character marks, but it isn't hurt at all. Reasonable care and you won't have any problems with the metal. Today my Go-To rifles are all SS/Synthetic bolt guns. I don't really see the SS as that much of an advantage.

It is the wood stock that is the weak link. I've seen too many stocks split and crack. As the wood expands and contracts it will effect the bullets point of impact even if no damage is done. I put a Brown Precison stock on my 700 in 1983 and never looked back. I've not hunted with a wood stocked bolt gun since and don't plan to.

If I want walnut and blue I do have several Marlin and Winchester levers. But I don't use them if I'm really serious about killing anything. If I were buying another 45-70 it would be this, and I'd use it in any weather. If something happens, then it happens.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever.../model-1895cba

Winston Churchill
Old December 12, 2017, 06:40 PM   #7
Capt Rick Hiott

You cant go wrong with a Marlin 1895 45-70 . I have one and Ill NEVER sell it!!

Love it!!
Old December 12, 2017, 06:46 PM   #8
BIGR

If I was wanting an all weather 45-70 it would be stainless steel for sure, a little more forgiving. I have a few blued rifles, but the rest are stainless or XCR Remington's. I take care of my guns but I don't want to worry about wiping off sweaty fingerprints at camp every night at camp. Blued guns require a lot more maintenance.
Old December 13, 2017, 10:20 AM   #9
Stats Shooter

jmr40 Said it already

Polymer/laminate stocks with aluminum bedding blocks are the key to "All Weather". I had a model 70 super grade stock warp on me due to heat and humidity. It was free floated initially but then started to dog leg reducing accuracy.

These days, glass bedding and action screw torque adjustments are not necessary with the block bedded and fiberglass/polymer/laminate stocks.

They are nowhere near as beautiful as a nice maple stock, but they are more durable for sure.
Old January 1, 2018, 06:04 PM   #10
3Crows

Dear OP. I have a 45-70 Marlin SBL. The rifle was purchased a year ago. It is a fine rifle, functions wonderful and is very slick and smooth and reliable. Because it is stainless and laminate it is certainly resistant to weather. I like the FNC stainless GSBL version they have as well, might look for one. I do not need to do the Custom Shop route though because I can work my own weapons pretty good. I much prefer stainless steel whenever and wherever possible over blued. Both looks and function.

I was initially very attracted to the chrome Henry 45-70 but the quality control is not what I was expecting and I do not like the tube loading. A buddy of mine has one and it does not cycle reliably compared to my 1895 and it feels rough when I cycle it. And again, the tube loading and pointing a rifle at myself to load and unload is not for me. I can live with it in a rimfire but not in a centerfire. Too slow and cumbersome.

Last edited by 3Crows; January 1, 2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old January 2, 2018, 11:29 PM   #11
PatientWolf

I'm probably in the minority, but I like this one...
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...model-1895gsbl

Followed by...
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever.../model-1895sbl

And...
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever...e/model-1895gs
Old January 4, 2018, 06:52 AM   #12
BIGR

Now your talking, PatientWolf. I would take any of those three but the 1895gsbl (green stock) would be my favorite. Great all weather rifle that should hold up well.