The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Metal god

Williams sights for Mossberg 500 , front sight problem .

So I bought the Williams sight set with integrated rail on the back for my Mossberg 500 . The problem is it also came with a dovetail front sight . Do any MB 500's come with a dovetail front sight ? Mine just comes with a screw in bead sight . So now I'm looking for a front sight base that will except the dovetail insert . How ever My 500 is the tactical version that flares out a little fatter at the muzzle to an even 1" diameter . The largest front sight base I can find is .875" . Am I stuck with that and just bed it with JB weld or something ??

Is there a 1" diameter front sight base that fits a dovetail insert ?

What about a very tall bead sight that will screw into the existing hole/thread because the rear sight sits up to high to use the factory bead ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 29, 2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Metal god

bump

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 29, 2017, 06:34 PM   #3
Phoenix54c

Greetings. It sounds like you bought this and also received this. Is this right?

Now, it sounds like you are looking for a Mossberg barrel with a front sight ramp with a 3/8" dovetail (properly called a barrel with "rifle sights"), like this. So far, so good?

Mossberg makes 500 barrels with rifle sights from 20" and up. The 20" I linked you to is a smooth bore--the longer ones will probably be rifled. You will also need to make sure your magazine tube fits the barrel you are trying to install. Again taking the product link as an example, that 20" only accepts an 8-round mag tube. The longer rifle barrels usually use the 6-round tubes, as they are intended for hunting/recreation and not home defense.

At any rate, you can remove the mag tube if needed. You'd just have to heat the tube where it screws into the receiver with a simple propane torch. This would melt the red loctite and allow you to un-thread the tube.
Old December 29, 2017, 08:35 PM   #4
Metal god

Yes that's the rear rail with peep sight . The front sight is a red fiber optic sight but basically the same thing you linked .

I do understand getting a new barrel is an option . I was wanting a less expensive fix like this http://aimpro.ashop.me/p/9063130/gho...-barrels-.html

Which is designed for my specific barrel profile but seems like it would be to tall . Maybe the front sight that came with the Williams sight will fit in that base

Old December 31, 2017, 12:42 AM   #5
Blindstitch

I would probably drill and tap for a front ramp. Or buy an extended choke of the flavor you want, drill and tap that or weld on a front ramp sight after the choke is screwed in good and tight.
Old December 31, 2017, 02:20 AM   #6
Metal god

I'm considering just making my own ramp that will screw into the existing threaded hole the bead is in . I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but this specific thing is not something I've done before . How ever my step father was a retired tool maker from ford and has all the tools I'd need to make what I need . Unfortunately he passed away in April so he can't help and I'm sure he would have loved helping me out on this . If I can't find a quick $30 or $40 fix for this I'll attempt to make something that will work .

I'm also considering replacing the front sight bead with something taller like this but I'm not sure if this will be tall enough
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PNDX5LU...KPBK339L&psc=0

EDIT , I just went and measured what height the front sight would need to be to clear the rail and be in line with the rear peep sight . Looks like it will need to be about 1/2" .500" tall maybe a bit more . Much taller then I was first thinking .

Last edited by Metal god; December 31, 2017 at 03:12 AM.
Old December 31, 2017, 03:40 AM   #7
Blindstitch

If you have a smooth round barrel this would work.
https://www.ebay.com/p/UTG-Adjustabl....c100005.m1851

Of course if you have a vent rib barrel that's a whole different issue.
Old December 31, 2017, 04:25 AM   #8
Metal god

That might work . I have the tactical breach muzzle on mine but that might fit just behind my muzzle devise thing . I don't like how far it sticks down but think I'll have room . How ever you can see the barrel has that extra flare at the end right before the muzzle devise . That diameter is a perfect 1" . I'd bet that clamp on is slightly less then that .

Old December 31, 2017, 09:43 PM   #9
Blindstitch

That triple step makes things interesting.

Personally if I couldn't find a direct fit piece I would find a thin ramp, drill and tap it to the breech cone or weld it. Then cerecote it so everything looks right.

Maybe something like this could be used and either drilled and tapped for the front or cut down to fit in the current bead threaded hole. http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/pid_1645.htm

Good files can make quick work of a lot of things.