The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2013, 06:46 AM   #1
skizzums

.38 spl projectiles

hey guys, i'm going to be loading .38spl for the first time this weekend. theres so many choices on bullets, i was wondering if ya'll had some advice what to get. this is our first revolver and its a lightweight .357. it's actually for my wife and i want to keep recoil low to begin with. the option for projectiles at my reload shop are:
.357/158GR ROUND NOSE
.357/158GR SEMI-WADCUTTER
.357/148GR WADCUTTER
.357/148GR SWAGED HOLLOW BASE WADCUTTER
.357/158GR ROUND NOSE FLAT POINT
.357/125GR ROUND NOSE FLAT POINT

i will be using 38. spl cases and hp38 powder.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Gdawgs

For 38 special, you want to get a bullet that is softer lead, not hard cast. I leaded up my barrel something fierce by loading wimpy 38 special loads using hard cast bullets designed for 357 pressures.

If you are just plinking, the wadcutters would be a good choice. Swaged bullets are extremely soft since they are almost pure lead. They work well, but you do not want to drive them any faster than 800 fps, otherwise you'll lead up your barrel. But since you are intending to make soft recoiling loads, this is where you'll want to be anyway. Hodgdon shows a starting load of 2.7 grains of Titegroup with this bullet. Velocity of 771 fps. That would be perfect.

Any of the bullets would work, but again, I'd advise against hard bullets for the wimpy loads. If you will be loading up some 357s eventually, get a box of hard cast for those, don't use the soft bullets for that.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:20 AM   #3
zxcvbob

Either the 148 wadcutters or the 158 flat-points. Maybe get 500 or each? If you just get one, start with the plain cast wadcutters, you can load those very light or +P.

The 125 grain bullets might shoot low. 148 and 158 should shoot to point of aim.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:36 AM   #4
skizzums

okay, thanks guys. i like the idea of only using 2.7gr of powder, that's pretty amazing. the bullets are cheap enough, i'll do the swaged and try another one. i do want to work her up to a higher recoil, just not turn her off right off the bat. she is used to shooting a full-size m&p 9mm, so this will surely be a big difference. thanks again.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:04 AM   #5
zxcvbob

I've been shooting hundreds of cast wadcutters lately with 2.8 grains of Promo powder (cheaper version of Red Dot.) It's a hotter load than a lot of people use with wadcutters, but I like it better than using 2.5 grains. No leading at all after shooting 90 of them last Tuesday night -- just graphite, burnt lube and powder, etc. One patch and the bore was clean.

Bullseye or 231 are probably better powder choices than Red Dot (because they measure easier), but I have 8 pounds of Promo and it is very accurate.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:16 AM   #6
ligonierbill

My practice load is a Speer swaged 158 SWCHP at 800. Cheap, accurate, pleasant to shoot.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
warhwkbb

If you are concerned with recoil, lighter projectiles will kick less. The trade-off is bullets that might shoot a bit low. HP38 is a great powder that can take you from mousefart to near +p, but is best at target velocities. I personally would recommend the 148gr wadcutter.
Old October 31, 2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Sevens

Quote:
i like the idea of only using 2.7gr of powder, that's pretty amazing.
Personally, I wouldn't get too excited. In raw numbers, it really is about half a typical charge weight, so no matter what volume we are talking about... whether you buy powder one pound at a time for $24, it's like paying $12, or if you get it in 8lb jugs as I always do, then it's like getting twice the powder for your $140 expenditure. I *DO* understand that, and I am not arguing against that.

However, the powder charge (especially in handgun rounds) is of so little consequence that when you take in to consideration everything that goes in to the equation of building great handloads... it is the part of LEAST consequence. Really, truly.

My point isn't that a load running a 2.7 grain charge is a "bad" load or a bad idea. I mean nothing of the sort. Obviously, the historic "go-to" championship bullseye competition load is the 2.7gr of Bullseye charge. Would be foolish to argue that it's not a great load.

What I am saying is that there's so many different parts that go in to concocting a great load, the powder charge weight should be FAR back in the list of goals.

If you do intend to make a load that runs a REALLY light charge weight, please consider:

--the powder should be an -EASY- one for you to obtain, locally, in-stock
--your equipment MUST be 100% capable of dropping that tiny little charge consistently, every single time, with no variance, no bridging, and -NO- exceptions.

If you are running a 5.6 grain charge and your device throws a charge that is 0.2 grains light (for whatever) reason, then maybe you get a slight drop in velocity or maybe you never notice it.

If you are running a 2.7 grain charge weight and your device throws a light charge (or maybe the guy flipping the lever on your device short-shucks it by accident! ) and you end up with a 2.5 or a 2.4gr charge... Is your slug going to exit the barrel?!

Any load can be a great load... sometimes we solicit opinions from others for ideas, but in all cases... you have to put in the work to FIND what ends up being a "great load!" for your needs. It's a fantastic feeling, when you've arrived at a load that works so well for you that you can nearly etch it in stone and make THOUSANDS of them.

My point is simply that a 2.7gr charge weight is -NOT- an attractive feature for a load, in my opinion.
Old October 31, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Jim Watson

My usual low recoil target load for .38 Special is a 148 gr HBWC and 3.2 gr of HP38. A bevel base or double ended wadcutter will shoot about the same.

The repeated reference to 2.7 gr is standard for Bullseye, not HP38.
Old October 31, 2013, 03:37 PM   #10
45long

hp38 was designed for the 38 spl , hence the name hp-38. luckily for you they loads will be on the bottle. just subtract 10% and work your way up. see what you like. pretty simple huh?
Old October 31, 2013, 08:46 PM   #11
10 Spot Terminator

For sheer accuracy at low charge weights it would be hard to beat the 148gr hollowbase wadcutter . It performs best with lower felt recoil due to the lighter bullet weight . Do not get adventurous and try to load them very warm as it will blow the skirts off the bullets. If it were to be mid range to upper end loads then I would opt for the 158gr LRNFP . Best combonation of accuracy , penetration and terminal performance .

10 Spot
Old October 31, 2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
For sheer accuracy at low charge weights it would be hard to beat the 148gr hollowbase wadcutter . It performs best with lower felt recoil due to the lighter bullet weight . Do not get adventurous and try to load them very warm as it will blow the skirts off the bullets.
^^ I was just gonna say that. ^^

148 HBWC's are second to none for accuracy. But they are to only be loaded at target velocities/pressures. They are for one purpose and one purpose only. And they do it extremely well.

Also: you're in luck - HP-38 is an excellent powder for your application.
Old October 31, 2013, 09:45 PM   #13
chewie146

Keep it hard cast lead and push it a little light, and it should be good. One of my favorite loads is a HC wadcutter over a mid range load of Unique. It's low-recoil, high in penetration, and accurate out to about 50 yards. After that, it nosedives. I imagine with a light .357, 10 yards is more your goal. If you're looking for practice only, any HC loads will be great. You can push a hard cast bullet faster than a jacketed bullet with the same powder charge.
Old November 1, 2013, 06:16 AM   #14
rebs

I seen the ole accuracy load for 148 gr but what would be a known accurate load for 38 spl with 158 gr lswc ?
Old November 1, 2013, 06:45 AM   #15
TimSr

Quote:
Quote:
For sheer accuracy at low charge weights it would be hard to beat the 148gr hollowbase wadcutter . It performs best with lower felt recoil due to the lighter bullet weight . Do not get adventurous and try to load them very warm as it will blow the skirts off the bullets.

^^ I was just gonna say that. ^^

148 HBWC's are second to none for accuracy. But they are to only be loaded at target velocities/pressures. They are for one purpose and one purpose only. And they do it extremely well.

Also: you're in luck - HP-38 is an excellent powder for your application.
I agree.
Old November 1, 2013, 06:10 PM   #16
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I seen the ole accuracy load for 148 gr but what would be a known accurate load for 38 spl with 158 gr lswc ?
rebs: I load 158 LSWC's with both 3.2g Bullseye, or 4.0g W231 (usually the 231). Both are very accurate. If I had to guess, I'd say that all the recipes for 158 LSWC's in the Speer #14 (pg 876) are accurate.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:35 AM   #17
Woodyed

Hard Cast in 38 Spec.

Gdwags- don't understand why you got leading using hard cast bullets in your 38 spec. I've used hard cast bullets (18 BRN) in my 38 spec many times, some loads even in the 730 fps range, with no leading evident at all. I've always assumed that the reason behind using hard cast bullets was to eliminate leading at any velocity.
Old November 2, 2013, 08:44 AM   #18
m&p45acp10+1

I cast my own using the Lee 158 grain Tumble Lube SWC mold. I shoot them using either Trail Boss, or a light load of Win 231/HP 38. Recoil is very light, and accuracy is better than I can milk them for without a rest. Using a sand bag both loads gave under 2 inches at 25 yards with a 4 inch Mod 67-1 which is about as good as I can do with my eyes. A friend of mine that is a better shot made one ragged hole with both.
Old November 5, 2013, 12:41 AM   #19
skizzums

sorry, i havent looked back at this thread before posting another one. although most of my questions were answered here. i picked up 1k of the swaged hollow base wadcutters. loadin them up in the mron. thanks for the info.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:55 PM   #20
skizzums

loaded up 200 of the 148gr swaged hollow base wc. used remington primers and 3.2gr hp38. it was a pleasure to shoot. loved it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 382.jpg (242.4 KB, 15 views)
Old November 11, 2013, 09:07 PM   #21
Crunchy Frog

The 148 grain wadcutter is the traditional target shooting load for the .38 Special. Sort of a flying soup can. It makes cookie-cutter like holes in paper targets for easier scoring.

I shoot cowboy action with .38 Special loads; we tend to shoot lighter bullets like 125 or 105 grain bullets. The 125 is a good choice for light recoiling plinking or target loads but you might find that these light bullets hit below point of aim with a fixed sight revolver.