The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 7, 2011, 07:14 AM   #1
kd7sgm

Moose hunting in Idaho

I am going to apply for my once in a lifetime moose tag this year. I was wondering if there are any experienced moose hunters that can give me a few pointers. I have also been considering how much work it will be getting a large moose or hopefully two of them back to camp.
Old March 7, 2011, 08:28 AM   #2
dalegribble

here in az we can apply for a once in a lifetime tag every year till we get drawn. the hard part is getting drawn, not getting the game back to camp. you sound really optomistic. good luck.
Old March 7, 2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Sir Loads-A-Lot

I hunted moose in Newfoundland Canada and was successful twice. I suggest that you get in very good condition before you attempt the venture. After 3 days of brutal terrain I finally located a nice palmated bull that I took. Then the real work began. It took a day and a half to get the animal back to our camp. They have to be quartered and carried out on back packs...6 two hour trips. Good luck with the draw.
Old March 7, 2011, 10:48 AM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
I am going to apply for my once in a lifetime moose tag this year.
I find the hard part of getting a once in a lifetime tag is actually drawing it. I've got 3+4 points for Colorado's draw and have less than a 1% chance of drawing in any moose area. I could probably draw a cow pretty easily but now that I have all those points I'm staying in for the bull only. I have a buddy who is maxed out on points and has put in every year for the draw and still hasn't drawn a tag for moose. Same with the desert big horn tag.

If I ever draw the moose tag, I'll have plenty of buddies a long with me to help pack out. Just as I'll tag along with any of my friends if they ever draw that coveted tag. I like to hunt elk as well so I figure if I’m in shape enough to chase them then I can handle a moose as they tend to hang in places easier to get to here in Colorado than the elk do. The only problem is they are almost twice the size!

Good luck in your draw, and if you get the tag be sure to post the hunt report!
Old March 7, 2011, 12:17 PM   #5
kd7sgm

Depending on the area you are putting in for, the chances are not that bad. The area We are applying for has a 27% chance of drawing a tag and if you draw a tag there is a 93-99% chance of harvesting an animal at least that is what the IDFG site states. The drawback is you can only do it once in your life. I know packing the animal out will be difficult, what terrain are they normally in? does it really help to use the grunt calls? are they aggressive? not that a moose being hunted does not have the right to defend itself.
Old March 7, 2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Scorch

Quote:
what terrain are they normally in?
Marshes. I have a friend that lives and hunts in Alberta, and he shoots them standing belly deep in ponds, then ties a rope onto an antler and floats them out before gutting and quartering.
Quote:
does it really help to use the grunt calls?
In the rut, probably. From what I've read, moose hunting is not during the rut in most areas.
Quote:
are they aggressive?
No, not generally, but remember that a 1,500 lbs aimal does not have to be aggressive to hurt you.
Old March 7, 2011, 12:45 PM   #7
taylorce1

I've always seen them in Colorado around drainages, lakes, and river valleys. Basicly anywhere there is a lot of water or swampy areas. That doesn't mean that they will not be elsewhere but they do like water.

I've never been around them during the rut, but when I've seen them in the wild they could care less that I'm there. I'm sure during the right time of the year the bulls can be super agressive, and the cows I'm sure are anytime you get between them and their calf. However, I've never hunted moose so I'm not the best person to comment on the use of calls.
Old March 7, 2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Sir Loads-A-Lot

When I was deer hunting in Maine a bull charged a logging truck head on. I had one run me up a blowdown tree. The problem was it was on a Sunday and I didn't even have a gun. When they are in the rut be very careful not to get in the way...believe me you will lose. 12 to 15 hundred lbs of nasty moose is nothing to play around with.
Old March 7, 2011, 02:59 PM   #9
roberto mervicini

Some time we do not realize how lucky we are... as Canadian Quebec resident we are permited to hunt moose every year, just buy the permit for the choosen area and go. Public land one bull moose x 2 hunters, government reserve or private outfitter 1 bull x 4 hunters. In some area every 4 years cow or veal are also allowed.
Back on track... the most important is to find a place if you hunt on public land that has moose and not already taken... it require many trips during the months of june and july and you must go far in places generally difficult to access.
When you found the place you need to build stands in strategic points, bring lot of salt, moose love salt particolary early spring, if you bring several hundred lb. (we bring 500/600 lb end may to make saline and 4-5 blocks ( 25lb block like the one that farmer use for cows ) to put on 3" spruce cut 4 or 5 foot from the ground. Early august the blocks are renouveled. This will keep mooses around, but not guarantee it will be there during the hunting season.!
Calling is important, since hunting season is generally around rut period, between the 1st and 2nd rut in our area, do not call too much. Do not make strange unfamiliar noise... slaming truck doors, talking to loud, all metallic noise are not normal in the woods and tend to shy the animal away.... carpet the bottom of the aluminium boat or canoe if you use one.
If you do not feel confortable calling, in days with no wind walk on shallow water of a lake imitating a moose walking on water, and few time a day imitate cow urinating on the water. Cover your sent the best you can, and be alert, some time the only sign that moose in near by is a crack twigg or dry tree branch that snap, for a large animal they do not make to much noise.
I no longer use private land since I am not as young and private land require to much work, and do not enjoy to sleep on tent any longer, we use one outfitter in a recluse area with exclusive hunting right, but the salt business that we still do... last fall the hunting week weather wise was terrible for us...rain and more rain buckets of rain the entire 5 days...was the firs time we did not kill...in a long time.!
If you are 4 guys to take a moose out of the woods is not hard, a canoe and or ATV will be of great help, I did pack it out couple of time and that was tough, trough a swamp...
Study surveyer maps of the area you intend to hunt and see the easy way around from one lake to the other one the moose will generally take the easy path, during the off season go and scout the area, if you see foot print, dropping bushes of willow snap like if cut with a cisors about 4 or 5ft. from the ground that will confirm you are on the right track.
_______
roberto
Old March 7, 2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Big Bill

I see moose all the time in the Sublet Drainage and also in Copper Basin. Getting one in Sublet, shouldn't be a hassle to get back to camp.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old March 7, 2011, 10:06 PM   #11
grubbylabs

Its now two in a life time one of each.

They are thick as fleas on a dogs back east of Idaho Falls

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 7, 2011, 10:50 PM   #12
ligonierbill

Biggest moose I ever saw was east of Bone, southeast of Palisades Reservoir. As I recall, there were pretty ugly roads in there from both Idaho Falls and Blackfoot (only time I had to use that high lift jack). I had an elk tag, so I could only watch the big guy. It's been awhile, but when I lived in IF, that area was often overlooked. Good luck!
Old March 8, 2011, 01:16 PM   #13
doofus47

I've seen several moose cows hanging out in high mountain drainages in willow brush.
Old March 11, 2011, 08:45 PM   #14
the blur

they saw moose are the most dangerous animal. they will charge you if they see you.
Old March 12, 2011, 10:21 PM   #15
gearchecker

I live north of Coeur d'Alene. I had a bull moose bed down in my pine patch in the back yard on Monday this week. We see them pretty regularly up here. After I manage to get a couple elk and a few deer in the next few years, I might consider trying to get my moose tag.

I wish you luck, Take the time to scout and work your hunting range and you'll have much better odds of bagging the one for your tag. Most of the moose we see are working thru the pine groves, either headed down to the lake or heading back out after an afternoon of feasting on the tenders.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old March 28, 2011, 08:49 PM   #16
elkman06

I personally have been in on about 6 moose trips..all successful.

First: take lotsa friends, or have them available. Horses too if possible.
Second: they are huge. If you are packing them, make small pieces.

Always hunt from downwind of course, they don't see well but smell quite well. You will see them mostly in the morning or evening as they tend to bed in very thick cover during the day if it is warm. If cool, they may stay near water/willows all day.

Don't hesitate to put two in the boiler room. They can take some killing. They also tend to Lock up when hit making you think you did not hit them.
Pretty easy to end up in a situation where you might have to leave one(or part of one) overnight. Couple things to consider.
If above freezing, don't leave the site until you have skinned it. Their hide is at least 1/2in thick on their back,,,plus hair. It is very easy to spoil meat if you don't skin them quickly.
If in bear country, be VERY aware when you go back in for it. I have had luck laying several t shirts(sweaty of course) over the meat. Bears will tend to eat the gutpile rather than something which smells like man. Drag the meat a ways back from the gutpile.
Take plenty of knives(or the ability to sharpen them). Have a decent sized saw and or axe.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old March 29, 2011, 08:14 PM   #17
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Well, I will be the first to admit I am short on experience when it comes to putting down a moose, having been in on only two kills. My wife's and mine.

From that limited experience, I would say they go down easy for the most part.

I am not one that subcribes to repeatedly shooting an already dead critter, mostly having critters close enough to know where I hit and knowing that a second shot through the lungs ain't go'in to make that critter any deader then the first shot did.

Both our moose came from unit #8 which is close to the Moscow area.

As we are just a few days from the start of the application period, I'll probably apply for my once in a life time cow permit. Would like to have another chance for a moose before I age much more.

This time with my 45/70 RUGER.

Moose can be a huge job to take care of after they are down.

Figure the difference between a white tail and a good bull elk, and you have about what to expect in the ratio between an elk and a good bull moose PLUS+++++.

The green hide will be about 75lbs. The head and horns another 75lbs.

My bull went over the scales at a local grain elevator at about 800lb. That was minus the guts and legs to the knee joint.

If it is at all warm you need to get that hide off, ASAP!!

That hide will really hold the heat, especially in the shoulder hump area.

Meat was VERY tasty!! The bulls, both of them, were very chewy but the taste is great. Crock pot and burger were the way to go.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 2, 2011, 05:01 AM   #18
reconcoupe

My old man took a moose in 66A, or was it 66, in 99 or 2000, either way, thats some rough country, took me, him and my brother 2 full days to pack out the meat 1 mile to the road. Get you a large, possibly military surplus ruck sack, something you can get dirty/bloody, if you plan on hunting any distance from the road.

Moose Hunting

Hard part- Finding them (sometimes)
Easy part- Getting close
Hard part- Getting the meat out

When he took his moose you could use any weapon for the hunt. He had his bow strapped to the top of his ruck sack and carrying his 7mm mag. We were within 30 yards. He wasn't ballsy enough to use the bow. Just something to think about, if you plan on archery make sure you have a strong rifle or side arm easily accessible.

Also in Eastern Idaho, specially during August and September, the sheep herders are very helpful in some good recon as far as where the moose have been, almost like a guide in a way. We gave a case of beer to the one that told us were to find ours as a thank you. Some only speak Spanish though.

Thats about all I can think of really.
Old April 2, 2011, 10:03 AM   #19
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Pack'in would be the real pits unless your a lot, LOT younger then I am!

Both of ours were skinned and quartered on my garage floor. UNIT # 8

Old enough now, that I am thinking I need a small trailor behind the 4wheeler to have any chance to get a moose out by myself.

I remember the effort required just to carry a ham, not a rear quarter, JUST A HAM! into the house when I cut it up.

There are bigger critters out there, but a moose is big enough.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 2, 2011, 10:18 AM   #20
hooligan1

Hey Crusty what exactly does moose meat taste like?
Old April 2, 2011, 09:11 PM   #21
76r

I like to bring 'em home before I shoot them, that way I don't have to pack 'em far.
Damn! This one got out of the garage!

Old April 2, 2011, 10:34 PM   #22
musher

A moose once bit my sister.

Seriously, it tried to pull her off her dog sled. Tore the sleeve out of her parka.

Never had one act aggressive while hunting. Generally I'm done hunting before the rut though.
Old April 2, 2011, 10:50 PM   #23
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hey there Hooligan1,

Moose meat, Hmmmmmmmmmmmm good!!!!!!!!!

I like deer meat. Elk meat is about as good as it gets and moose is right up there.

The grain of the meat is much courser then deer/elk. Both my wife's bull and mine were chewy.

Roasts, berger or crock pot is how we handled it, but the taste is great.

April 1st was the start of this year's application period, so when I get into town on Wed., the plan is to get my application for my once in a life time cow started.

This could be my lucky year, then again maybe not.

But if not, will plan on time in the woods for deer and elk with my 45/70.

Sure would like to thump a beeeeeeeg critter with that cast boolit out of my RUGER #1. YES!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 3, 2011, 06:33 AM   #24
hooligan1

Wrap some of those "butterflied" backstraps with bacon and set em over an applewood direct-heat fire,,and let us know Crusty!!! meanwhile I'm going to grap the rifle and go check My garage!!!!!
Old April 3, 2011, 10:14 AM   #25
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Ooooooops!!!!!!

Oh ya, forgot the back strap and loin. YES!!!!

Along with hamberger gravey and mash spuds, probably my next favorite meal is deer back strap or loin, fried up nice and crisp, gravey from the dripp'ins and mashed taters.

Have a birth day com'in in a few days, and the crisp fried back strap is a standing birthday order. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm GOOD!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot