The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 15, 2005, 12:10 AM   #1
impact

Remington Lee

anyone know where I can get parts for a Remington Lee? I would even buy a sporter type remington Lee in 30 USA or 30-40 Krag. I don't know there was ever a sporter gun chambered in 30 USA. But the 30 USA and 30-40 Krag are the same thing.

Any help on this old gun would be much appreciated.
Old January 15, 2005, 01:00 AM   #2
leadbutt

Pretty tuff, to find you mite try Numrick Parts, but I don't think you'll luck out.

Try a web search on gun parts, it took me 2 years searching at gun shows before I found a bolt for mine
Old January 15, 2005, 07:34 AM   #3
ssgmac27

Numerick

Try Numerick at www.e-gunparts.com.
Old January 15, 2005, 09:08 PM   #4
impact

leadbutt thats what I need for my gun. My grandfather lent it to a guy back in the 20s or 30s and he lost the bolt. My dad gave me the gun with the origonal bayonet two years ago. It took me two days to figure out what the gun was. The gun is in very good condition. My granddad was in the Michigan national guard. When he left the gun went with him.

Something good happened today! I did another search and guess what? I found a complete bolt for the gun . I'm working with the guy right now to have the bolt sent to me . This is a good day! I can't wait to sit down with my dad and touch off the old Lee sence it was shot last about 80 years ago.
Old January 16, 2005, 01:57 AM   #5
leadbutt

impact, you do realize, that just because you find a bolt ,doesn't mean the headspace will be right?
Old January 16, 2005, 01:00 PM   #6
impact

Yah leadbutt. This is as close to getting to gun in one peice as I have ever got before. I'm going to get a go-nogo gauge before I do anything. I even have a box of old ammo that that says 30-USA. Not going to shoot the old ammo though. I still can't belive I found one. It's been about two years of looking the internet. Last year I almost bought a 45-70 that someone chopped up to make a sporter out of it. Thinking maybe the bolt would work after a gun smith got done with it.
Old January 16, 2005, 05:18 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Finding a proper bolt is just a miracle, St Gabriel was on your side.

I grew up reading Hatcher's Notebook and P.O. Ackley's articles and later his Handbooks, and they did things to headspace that would scare most present gauge-happy milsurpers to death. From what they said, if the gun will work at all, headspace is mainly of interest to reloaders. Ken Waters wrote to that effect about .303.