The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 7, 2005, 11:36 PM   #1
bcc1309

Colt 45 expert needed

[email protected] undefined[LEFT]

six shot single action. 4 1\2 inch barrel mother of pearl grips. All original . Handed done by Great Granddad thru the family. s/n # 158395, patten dates 1871/1872/1875. Firing just fine. Just like to know all about it. Would be interested in the in a rating of this old timer. Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.JPG (176.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 9.JPG (184.7 KB, 91 views)
Old January 7, 2005, 11:37 PM   #2
MCIWS

Don't know, but WOW!
Old January 8, 2005, 12:43 AM   #3
Sir William

I cannot process blue with my eyesight. If it is all original, you have a sweet Colt. I suggest www.dixiegunworks.com as a resource. Their catalogue is worth the price. They have a section for antique firearms on their website. That should give you a fair idea of value.
Old January 8, 2005, 02:08 AM   #4
Dfariswheel

You really need to get this looked at by a REAL expert appraiser.

These First Generation black powder framed Colt SAA's are EXTREMELY valuable collector's guns, and prices run up to $20,000.00 and MORE depending on condition and possible factory pearl grips.

One source of good info, is to get a Historical Letter from Colt.
Expensive, but it'll give the the official word on when made, and what configuration, caliber, finish, and any special items like grips the gun had when it left Colt.
Also they'll tell you when it was shipped, and to who.
Old January 8, 2005, 04:22 AM   #5
guntotin_fool

good points get a letter from Colt

Do not shoot it until you verify condition with a QUALITY gunsmith. Not just a counter jockey. Once saw one where a 45 cylinder had been misassembled into a 38 frame. big mess.

I know a couple but would only be good if you lived near me. email me if you would like my contacts,

[email protected]

otherwise you lucky sog nice looking piece, enjoy and keep it safe,
Old January 8, 2005, 12:25 PM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

Nice looking SAA! Based on the s/n cross reference in the back of the Blue Book, my guess for a manufacture date is about November of 1894. A Letter of Provenance from Colts for your revolver is $100 by mail or $150 if you phone it in. It's well worth the money on these older Colts. If it turns out that the gun was shipped to or owned by someone of some importance, the price of the letter will be more, but then that boosts the value of the gun too. Be careful what you shoot in it, as this is a black powder gun, not a nitro proofed, post 1900 frame.

SASS 47015
Old January 9, 2005, 08:13 PM   #7
Cactus

It's very hard to determine condition from anything but a professional photo, but if your pistol has only 40% original finish, it would be worth around $7000 if every thing is correct. It would be worth your time and money to get the Colt letter and have your gun appraised by a knowledgable Colt collector.
Old January 9, 2005, 09:46 PM   #8
gordo b.

I was gonna say $4500-6500. My advise is to lube it good, put it in a nice padded case and enjoy the rise in value! The Pearl grips require special care, like Mineral oil and tissue paper wrap.
Old January 9, 2005, 10:54 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

No tissue paper. Use that brown paper that S&W wraps their guns in before placing them into a box.
Old January 10, 2005, 11:11 PM   #10
gordo b.

With all due respect Gary: I think that S&W type paper is Vapor Inhibited Paper designed to prevent rusting, very good for the steel parts but the Pearl grips would benefit more from mineral oil wipe and then wrapping type tissue paper, (NOT KLEENEX OR TOILET PAPER!!!!).