The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2020, 10:32 PM   #1
SixShooterBP

MVP .223

Doing some load development for my Mossberg MVP and wondering what powders to try initially. Mine is the 24” barrel varminter. Just loaded up some Hornady 55gr V-Max, 55gr Nosler CT and regular BT over H335. Twist rate is 1-9”.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:46 PM   #2
kilotanker22

I don't have the Mossberg, but my 5.56 really likes Varget with the 69 grain Sierra Tipped Matchkings.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old May 23, 2020, 12:55 PM   #3
10-96

When I had mine, it really liked 55gr V-Max bullets, Prvi Partizan and Winchester brass, CCI SR primers, and a half grain below max (Lyman 47th) of Varget.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 24, 2020, 07:30 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

55 grain bullets and H335 are an awesome combo in my book. None of my .223 rifles will shoot them badly. The V-Max is a very good all around bullet. Decent price, and very good accuracy.

Top level accuracy is a 68 grain HPBT Match Hornady. Loaded with Reloader15. Pick a primer it seems to shoot well with Wolf, CCI, S&B, and Winchester SR primers.

Varget is a good powder for the 65 grain and heavier bullets in place of RL15. Both are close in performance. RL15 does a wee bit better across the board for me in .223 and also in 6.5CM.
Old May 24, 2020, 08:28 AM   #5
ballisticxlr

My MVP Varmint (24") never liked light bullets. Anything less than 62's it would make 6" groups with no matter what I did with the load recipe. I got the best performance from Berger 70gr VLD's and Hornady 75gr BTHPs and more recently from 73gr and 75gr ELD's. For powders, Varget, Benchmark, BL-C(2), IMR-4895 and similar medium burn rate powders did really well for me. For primers, I have never had good luck with non-magnum primers in .223's and usually use CCI #41's or Federal AR match or CCI #450s. I won't give out my charge weights because they're all massively over book. One tip, the MVP tends to have a long throat so skip mag-length loading, load long for .010 jump to get the powder capacity back, use that extra capacity and single feed them. I was able to get 70's and 75's to 2950fps that way though I would recommend working up slowly once you get near book max.

My factory MVP barrel was toasted pretty quickly due to me firing about 1000 rounds of copper washed steel jackets. That tore up the throat (and the rest of the barrel) pretty badly and ruined it as a target rifle (it did surprisingly well with the factory barrel) so I replaced the factory barrel with a 26" tube from Columbia River Arms in 1:7 twist. The rifling is polygonal instead of Enfield type so it doesn't engrave the bullet which doesn't abuse the jackets so bad allowing me to shoot really fragile and light weight bullets without jacket failures and I'm able to launch 80's with full stability.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticxlr View Post
I won't give out my charge weights because they're all massively over book.
Why is so important to load way over listed maximum?
Old May 24, 2020, 08:16 PM   #7
SixShooterBP

On to something good I think.
55gr V-Max with H335