The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 29, 2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

competitive cowboy shooting...

been playing around on my range... going to go watch a couple before Ibring my guns...

so... whats the chance of me getting my rifle brass back at a structured competitive shoot ???

I could mark my brass with a sharpie or ???

...or does everyone pretty much just donate their rifle brass ???
Old June 29, 2011, 09:02 AM   #2
aarondhgraham

At every SASS shoot I have ever attended,,,

There have been volunteers with picker-upper thingies,,,
They collect your brass and you get it back.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 29, 2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

that would be cool, as I'll be loading my own, & only have 800-900 38 special older cases... would hate to have to start buying new cases just to leave at the shoot sight
Old June 29, 2011, 09:35 AM   #4
Hawg

Sometimes they don't find them all. Sometimes they get stepped on. You're sure not going to be watching where they fall.
Old June 29, 2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

ya... I understand that... sometimes I don't find them all at my home range...

I was just concerned with if they had someone, or allowed time to pick them up...

my rifle is new to me, a "vintage" Rossi engraved 20" saddle ring ( pre safety ) I assume that shouldn't be a problem...

... anyway it puts most of my cases right at my feet, just in front of me... don't know if that's good or not ( haven't had one go down my shirt yet ) but I'd guess that is likely, & while they won't be as hot as a bottle necked auto rifle case, I'm wracking the lever pretty quick... I'm sure they'll still burn

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; June 29, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... I was planning on brass 38 special cases ( because I already have 800-900 of them ) but I also have 600-700 nickel cases which might be easier to find ??? I guess I'd prefer to use the brass, as I can just throw them in the tumbler to clean before reloading, instead of hand washing ( which I do with nickel cases )

thoughts ???
Old June 29, 2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Jbar4Ranch

At small local matches, your brass will be picked up and returned to you, but you're going to lose one here and there. When I shoot .38's, I'll commonly lose 5-10% (3-6 pieces) because they're small, hard to find, and slip between the cracks of the stage fronts. The bigger the case, the fewer I lose. Major matches will often be "lost brass" matches simply due to time constraints. Groups such as the Boy Scouts scrounge the brass at the end of the day and it's auctioned off back to the shooters, sometimes in one big lot, sometimes in smaller lots. Our state match has one stage with a length of tracks that a cart rolls along while the shooter shoots targets on both sides of the track - due to the brass being spread along both sides of the track in the grass for up to fifty feet or so, it's left there til the end of the day. I've never seen a lost brass match where brass shotshells couldn't be picked up, as it's not that big of an inconvenience to pick them up for the handful of shooters that might be using them, and 10g brass hulls can be up to $10 a pop.

SASS 47015
Old June 29, 2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Noz

I generally lose about 5% of my rifle brass for a six stage match. 44-40s are hard to come by so I mark mine with a Sharpie. I mark the base but see some marked around the body of the case. Easier to identify that way.
Old June 29, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Jbar4Ranch

I really hate it when I lose a 56-50 case. They're relatively expensive at over a buck per, but the big thing is they haven't been available for over a year and Starline doesn't have plans to make another run til at least this fall.

SASS 47015
Old June 29, 2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

you don't shoot matches with a 56-50 ???

most of my vintage cartridge stuff is single shots... if I lose a case... I was really not paying attention... unfortunately yes... even that does happen once in a while sucks getting old
Old June 29, 2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Jbar4Ranch

Every now and then, yes. And if I break 80 seconds on a 10/10/4 stage, it's time to celebrate! I haven't finished dead last with it yet, but I've come close. Normally, I shoot more traditional guns; 1860, 1866, 1873, Lightning pump, 1892's, and '94 Marlins, but I give the 56-50 a run once in awhile too. I'll often match it up with a pair of 18" Uberti Buntline .45's and a single shot 12g or SxS 10g.

SASS 47015
Old June 29, 2011, 11:22 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

I guess if I got comfortable with the group & the competition, I could see myself doing the same kinds of things... got lots of antiques I like to shoot as well... I mostly play to have fun not to win at any cost