The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2011, 11:24 AM   #1
parttime

books

What are some of the books that members have read and can recommend or condemn?

Not just loading manuals but other books related to reloading, shooting, gun repair, hunting, etc.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2
zippy13

One of the all time great firearms reference works, and an interesting read, is Hatcher's Notebook, by General J. S. Hatcher. While available in print, it can be had as a free .pdf file from several sources, just Google Hatcher's Notebook. If given the choice, select a download that is searchable (the one at fliiby.com isn't).
Old January 14, 2011, 01:27 PM   #3
AlaskaMike

I'm a fan of Elmer Keith's, so I have several of his. My favorite is probably his "Sixguns" from 1955.

Another book I spent a lot of time reading (and find myself going back to quite a bit) is Ken Waters' "Pet Loads", a compilation of his articles in Handloader magazine. That one probably falls more into the load data catagory, but accompanying each table of load data is a wonderful article.
Old January 14, 2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, Parttime, One of the best is Phill Sharps "Complete Guide To HandLoading" Out of print for years..Wolfe publishing had re-prints out. Dated but the basics are still there.
Old January 14, 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
howlnmad

The only other that I can think of is Handloaders magazine. Does the ABC's count? If so, add that.
Old January 14, 2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Slamfire

“Technical Notes, Small Arms Design”, Author: John G. Rocha , available from Armalite (800) 336-0184, stock number NA1085 $12.50 .

Brassey’s Essential Guide to Military Small Arms, Design Principles and Operating Method, Author Allsp and Popelinsky, Brassey’s Inc, 1997. IDSA Books , (937) 773-4203.

AMCP 706-260. Engineering Design Handbook: Automatic Weapons. AMCP stands for Army Material Command Pamphlet. There were about one hundred AMC pamphlets.

If you want the AMCP Engineering Design Notebooks Contact NTIS. URL is http://www.ntis.gov/help/ordermethods.aspx and ask them for reprints. These are not cheap, they want $45.00 to $150.00 for some of them.

The Machine Gun, Volume IV, parts X & XI, LTC George Chinn, pub 1955. Out of print, but available on line at http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=4155, http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25