The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Jim243

Does Anyone Have the VMD for IMR 8208 XBR

Setting up my Pro Auto Disk and thought I would save a lot of work if someone already had the VMD for IMR 8208 XBR, tried Lee but it is not listed there.

Thanks
Jim
Old February 23, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2
bigautomatic

At the risk of my sounding ignorant, what does VMD stand for?
Old February 23, 2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Jim243

I am guessing at this "Volume Metered Density", it is used with Lee Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk and Double Disk equipment to calculate the disk numbers to use to obtain the correct weight powder drop using their disks.

Jim
Old February 23, 2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Jim, do you know the water capacity of your cases? You can just fill a case with the powder and calculate it from that. It might be more accurate anyway since it will be based on your actual powder instead of the lot Lee might have used.
Old February 23, 2011, 07:58 PM   #5
Jim243

I can work it backwards by weight and disk numbers, just tring to cut down on time and thought I would be more accurate if someone already had the number.

Thanks
Jim
Old February 23, 2011, 08:05 PM   #6
bigautomatic

I really know nothing about the Lee equipment, so I don't think I'll be much help. But, I do use a lot of XBR (in 6br Norma), and I know that the granules are very similar (you may already know this) to the old T32 that was favored by bech rest shooters in the 70's. The burn rate is slightly different. I don't know that the granules are similar enough to help you with your calculations, or if Lee even lists T32. But you might do a little searching and find the exact differences between the two, and go from there. Good luck.
Old February 23, 2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Jim243

AHHHHHHHHH, today is not my day. First I wake up with a wrenched sholder/back. Then I think I will just relax and do some reloading. First I can't find the VMD for IMR 8208 XBR, ok I can work it backwards. Then I set up 50 new remingtom 223 cases and Yes they pass the gauge test and I don't have to size or trim (things are looking better). Then I do a newbe stupid thing and start to size and prime without lube, yes you guessed it a stuck case. To make it worse instead of using the stuck case remover I have, I reach for the hammer. Yep can't get the stem back into the die.

No problem since I have 3 sets of resizers for 223. Grab another resizing die and ready to go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait, what's this, I am using a 9mm resizing die for 223 Remingtons? How did that happen? (the 9mm die set is sitting in the case I have for one of my 223 die sets).

I don't know about you, but I am going back to bed and start the day over.

I'll see you'all after I re-read all my reloading books (in about 4 weeks).

What ticks me off is I know better. And here I thought only newbe's had days like this.

Stay Safe.
Jim