The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 10, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1
mikerault

Reloading 9mm

Is it possible to reload 9mm with a rifle type bullet (Spitzer, boat tail)? To get a 9mm +P accurate out to 200 yards a more aerodynamic bullet would have to be used. Does anyone know of anything other than "standard" handgun bullet shapes for 9mm reloading?

A 35 caliber runs 9.093 mm and a 9mm is 9.017 this is the closest I have found but it looks like it is too big in diameter to safely fire from a 9mm.

Mike
Old January 11, 2011, 12:15 AM   #2
Dave R

Off the top of my head, a rifle bullet in .35 caliber is gonna be waaaaay too big for that tiny 9mm case. I don't think you can make this work.

After you have enough bullet in the case to grab, you're not gonna have any room for powder capacity. And a 9mm case is real finicky about having enough room for powder. Pressure goes up way fast as case volumne diminishes.
Old January 11, 2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Buzzcook

People already shoot 9mm to 200yds. Not this person though.

I have heard of people consistently hitting targets with the M92 Beretta at ranges which I find hard to believe.
Old January 11, 2011, 10:31 AM   #4
McClintock

Interesting problem...

Depends on what your definition of "accurate" is. I've shot 9mm out to 100 yards (and can barely hit a B27 target), and I'm not that accurate, but I believe that is my fault, and not the firearms I use; I've seen some police officers consistently hit the B27 silhouette at 100 with the RCMP issue S&W 5946, with standard 9mm ball ammo.

Doubling that distance would definitely be a challenge. One of the problems I see in shooting this distance is not so much the accuracy of the bullet, but the fact that the sight radius is so short that any slight movement will translate into big POI changes at the target.

I agree with Dave, creating a 9mm load with a rifle bullet would indeed be difficult.

My $0.02.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old January 12, 2011, 01:30 AM   #5
BDS-THR

Quote:
People already shoot 9mm to 200yds. Not this person though.

I have heard of people consistently hitting targets with the M92 Beretta at ranges which I find hard to believe.
We have a farming disk setup at around 150 yards at our outdoor range and many of us (including me) can consistently hit it with 115 gr 9mm loads out of my Glocks. I typically need to aim several inches above the top of the disk.

Here's a video of G27 hitting 230 yard target - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMEg...eature=related
Old January 12, 2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Ozzieman

Penn bullets makes a 9mm 147 Gr RNFPBB that I found to be very accurate in a Beretta Storm carbine. It held 3 inch groups at 100 yards.
http://www.pennbullets.com/9mm/9mm-caliber.html
Old January 12, 2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Sevens

Three inch groups at 100 yards with a 9mm carbine is impressive. Wow.
Old January 12, 2011, 09:01 PM   #8
riverwalker76

If you want to make it out to 200 yards with a standard 9mm cartridge .....

this might help.

On a more serious note ...

You would be better off switching to a different cartridge than trying to figure out the conundrum of getting a larger projectile in that teeny tiny case, and still having enough powder to fire the thing.

My Beretta M9 will safely shoot a jacketed bullet of .356" dia. even though the 9mm jacket range is technically .355" dia. Typically, I can get match accuracy out of MY barrel using the bullets designed for the 38 super.

However, I would not recommend you do this unless you have slugged your specific barrel to ensure it will work.

Last edited by riverwalker76; January 12, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old January 13, 2011, 07:41 PM   #9
Ozzieman

Actualy one group was under 3 inches.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ight=titegroup
Old January 15, 2011, 03:26 PM   #10
Storage_man

This will make 9mm abit more accurate. Suomi M31.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bipod_4a.jpg (58.3 KB, 31 views)