The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 8, 2007, 09:27 PM   #1
gunny#007

silencers ??????

Has anyone here owned a silencer and what brand how well do they work.
i have been thinking of getting a .22 silencer but some people say to go ahead and get the best 30 cal silence i can find and use it for everything???
Old January 8, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2
SR420

I had a FISHER/SEI can for my MK14 SEI.
As luck would have it I was able to try it out before I transferred it into my name.

VIDEO LINK

This sound suppressor was very cool and as you can see it worked as advertised.
However, I decided I would rather buy another rifle or two instead so I sold the can.

One thing about the FISHER/SEI can ~ if SEI makes a DC Vortex for a given 30 cal or smaller cal weapon you can use the can on all of them.

In other words, had I installed a DC Vortex on my MAK90 and Bushmaster .223 rifle I could have used the M14 can on all of them.
Old January 9, 2007, 02:18 AM   #3
MGRacer

I recommend getting a .22lr silencer -- you can use a muzzle .22 can on any .22lr pistol or rifle that can have a threaded barrel. .22lr silencers are much more impressive and IMHO fun. I have cans from .22lr to 9mm to 45ACP to .223 and .308 rifle and a few others. The .22 lr suppressors get shot much more than any other gun/suppressor combination. They are just fun -- and very quiet.

IMHO the top .22lr muzzle cans in no particular order are:

Gemtech Outback II: http://www.gem-tech.com/outback.html
AAC Pilot: http://www.advanced-armament.com/pro...fire/pilot.asp
SRT Cheyenne XL: http://www.srtarms.com/22can.htm
SWR Warlock: http://www.swrmfg.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=17

I have 3 of these cans and have heard the other alongside -- they are all excellent cans. Here is a picture of my SRT Cheyenne XL on a Ruger 22/45 and below that is an integral suppressed SRT Sound Master.

If you go with a .30 cal or .223 can, they will suppress the muzzle blast of the larger .223 or .308 guns, but they are not Hollywood quiet. And if you use "normal" supersonic .223 or .308 ammunition, you will hear a supersonic crack from the bullet. If you use a .30 can on a .22, it is very long and heavy compared to the .22 can although it will do a good job of suppressing the sound of the .22lr due to its increased volume. This picture (with a 9mm subgun can) will give you an idea:

Old January 9, 2007, 02:35 AM   #4
dixierifleman

those are expensive. but i suppose its illegal to make your own right?
Old January 9, 2007, 03:38 AM   #5
Crosshair

Quote:
those are expensive. but i suppose its illegal to make your own right?
Not if you fill out the Form 1 and pay the $200 NFA tax. Though it is often cheaper to just buy a 22LR can. You are going to have to pay the $200 NFA tax either way so you might as well get a professionally made can.

Another choice for a can would be one from Tactical Innovations.They are not the absolute best or smallest. However they are a very good value. Especialy for 22 LR suppressors, you can take TacInc cans apart for cleaning. It also makes parts easier to replace should something fail for whatever reason.

I have a TAC-16 that I am waiting for the ATF to approve the transfer on. I can't wait to get it.
Old January 9, 2007, 06:45 PM   #6
MisterPX

If you want a 22 can, get one. You can use a 556 can, but it'll be much heavier. Other cans won't be as quiet due to the bore size. You're gonna have to figure what calibers you want to suppress first.