The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2019, 09:56 AM   #1
wizrd

Questions on release triggers?

If you 'pull' the trigger - ready to fire the shotgun - on an O/U shotgun - is opening the action and removing the shell (while keeping the trigger depressed) the only way to disarm / make safe the shotgun? Many years ago, a fellow showed me his'n, and that's the way it operated. Are all o/u release triggers like that? - Not looking for one - just curious - thanks in advance to all you knowledgeable people here - I'm just here - studying at the feet of the Masters.
Old July 25, 2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Jim Watson

All the OU and single barrel release triggers I ever saw were like that. If you got it set and wanted to start over, you had to hold back the trigger and reach back to the top lever with your other hand to break it open.

A Model 12 pump release trigger I saw was cleared by pushing the action latch, just like you would to open the standard gun without firing. That one had an interesting feature, it was selective pull or release, operated by what used to be the safety.
Old July 25, 2019, 08:40 PM   #3
pete2

Same way on a semi auto, you have to open the action to make it safe/unload it.