The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Lunker

Beretta 92FS 22LR Conversion kit vs. dedicated 22 Rimfire pistol

I really like the Beretta 92FS. The aesthetics are great, it has some history, and I shoot it well. I already have two 9mm pistols though that I like to shoot. I have been considering buying one and one way I was going to justify it to myself was that I could buy the 22LR conversion kit and use the gun for plinking with super cheap .22 ammo. Does anyone have any experience with the kit? Is it decent?
My other option would be to buy a 22 rimfire pistol and pick up the Beretta some time in the future. For those who have experience with .22 pistols, do you have any different recommendations for me? Ruger Mark III, etc?
Thanks.
Old September 12, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2
IM_Lugger

I have a 92FS Inox GREAT gun, you don't need to get a .22 kit to justify the purchase.

I don't have a kit (there are 2 one from beretta and one aftermarrket) Beretta kit is a little pricy for just a slide barrel and mag, so for a .22 I got Norinco Woodsman knockoff for less than 1/2 the price. But I would love to have a .22kit for my 92...
Old September 13, 2007, 03:11 AM   #3
Hommbs

They work fine. I had one but sold it. I just felt that for the money I would rather have a complete Ruger MKII pistol. I got mine used and was able to sell it off for what I had in it. They are pretty spendy but I saw a thread off the BerettaForum.net that mentioned they were being blown out for around $225 off the Beretta online store. Don't know if they are still available for that price.

edited to add: Found it. It's priced at $249.
http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemMa...ntID=019000801

Last edited by Hommbs; September 13, 2007 at 03:48 AM.
Old September 13, 2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Don P

IMO I would jump at the conversion kit. Bought one for the wife a year ago and paid $323 with 1 extra mag. Just bought one for myself from the Beretta web site for $262 delivered to the house. Can't beat the price if they are still available. It will give you the oppertunity to get a good feel for the 92 for real short ammo prices.
Here is the link to the 22lr kit still advertised for $249+shipping
http://www.shopberetta.com/e2wItemMa...ntID=019000801
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 13, 2007, 09:33 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

I'll give you my opinion and the reasons for it.

A good conversion kit runs about what you'd spend for a decent quality used .22LR semi-auto pistol.

When you shoot the .22LR semi-auto you're not putting any wear on a much more expensive firearm.

A decent .22LR semi-auto will probably be more accurate and reliable and therefore fun to shoot than a conversion kit.

The only reasons I would buy a conversion kit:

Cool factor
If legalities limited the number of guns I could own.
Old September 14, 2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Socrates

As usual, we have different views!

The big pluses for the conversions on 1911's, at least, are you
get to use a 1911 trigger. Don't know about the 92 trigger, but, it's excellent training.

Also, my luck finding accurate 22lrs under 400-500 dollars has not been good. A Marvel conversion on a 1911 runs 400 dollars, and, will be under 1" at 50 yards. Be very careful which conversion you get. The fun of 22lr, is with no recoil to speak of, it is easy to be tack driving accurate. It's also real easy to end up with a gun you can outshoot in these conversions. I would NOT be happy spending 300 bucks for a conversion that doesn't shoot as well as a Ruger Mark II, or Browning Buckmark.

One could argue the 9mm recoils like a 22lr already, so why not buy a CZ 75, and have a tack driver with cheap ammo for 400 dollars or less?

S
Old September 14, 2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Black Adder LXX

I was looking into the Beretta kit as well. I went with the Browning Buckmark instead (although a nice MkIII would do, also) for three reasons:

1. It's another gun
2. More guns
3. It gives me a reason to get another gun

Old September 15, 2007, 09:14 PM   #8
Average Joe

For the price of the conversion kit, you could get another whole pistol.
Old September 15, 2007, 11:21 PM   #9
jdc1244

Quote:
I was looking into the Beretta kit as well. I went with the Browning Buckmark instead (although a nice MkIII would do, also) for three reasons:

1. It's another gun
2. More guns
3. It gives me a reason to get another gun

Quote:
For the price of the conversion kit, you could get another whole pistol.
That’s what I did. I got a Mk III for about $100 less then the 75B conversion kit. My 11 y/o loves shooting the Mk III.

More guns is always good.
Old September 16, 2007, 11:11 PM   #10
Sigma 40 Blaster

My way of looking at it is that you are shooting your Beretta with lower priced ammo, that equals more practice time on trigger technique with this gun if you get a conversion kit. The downside to that is that when you take the conversion kit off your recoil is going to change. Technically you're not supposed to worry about recoil until you're getting back on target so I say get it and work on your trigger skills.

I have a Ruger Mark III, I love it, it helped me with aiming and trigger pull a lot. The Browning Buckmarks are nice too if you don't mind the extra expense. The Beretta Neos has been getting some good reviews and good feel but I've never shot one.

Either way you'll improve your shooting technique, one will help you be a better all around shooter and the the other will help you become more familiar with your gun...
Old September 16, 2007, 11:19 PM   #11
chris in va

Sounds similar to my Kadet kit.

I pondered getting another 22 pistol (which I've actually had two Rugers), but frankly I like shooting my CZ so much I wanted to do it in a cheaper way. It fits my hand like a glove. No need to 're-learn' something else just for a 22.

I like just having a slide and magazine to deal with instead of a whole different pistol. 5 second and voila...cheap fun!

BTW it's far and away the clear favorite with my friends at the range. They all want to shoot it, especially with it's red dot. However my Saiga is crowding that status...