The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2018, 02:10 PM   #1
brasky88

200 grain bullets in 45 Colt Marlin 1894

Reloading newbie here. My brand new 50th edition Lyman reloading manual does not have load data in the 45 colt rifle section for 200 grain bullets. It does, however, have data in the 45 colt pistol section. Does it matter? Can I just use the data in the pistol section when loading 200 grain bullets for use in my Marlin rifle? I assume it should be fine, but just wanted to double check for any other opinions.

Thanks!
Old February 20, 2018, 02:12 PM   #2
zipspyder

Yes you can...
Old February 20, 2018, 02:39 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Most manuals will not have .45 Colt rifle loads. So using the handgun data in your Lyman book(read the reference chapters. Good read with lots of info.) is fine. Only difference will be the velocities due to barrel length.
However, do not mix cast and jacketed data.
Hodgdon's site has cast and jacketed 200 grain handgun loads. http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
Old February 20, 2018, 05:03 PM   #4
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipspyder View Post
Yes you can...
....because you are loading for the cartridge/caliber, not the platform. Have you ever seen .357, .44, .45 Colt or any straight walled handgun cartridge for that matter, factory loaded and designated solely for rifle or handgun? I doubt it. The platforms are built around the cartridge, not the other way around. While some older guns may not take high end max loads, it doesn't matter if they are handgun or long gun.
Old February 20, 2018, 05:08 PM   #5
zipspyder

Agreed, I haven't found many that list lever load, only difference is for the higher pressure Ruger's and TC's, etc...
Old February 21, 2018, 02:52 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Can I just use the data in the pistol section when loading 200 grain bullets for use in my Marlin rifle? I assume it should be fine, but just wanted to double check for any other opinions.
The powder data, yes, the bullet, maybe.

You need a bullet with a crimp groove, and a roll crimp for the rifle, so bullets don't get pushed back into the cases in the tube magazine.

A 45ACP type bullet with out a crimp groove / cannelure is not a good choice for the Marlin rifle.

what bullet are you planning on using?
Old February 21, 2018, 04:22 AM   #7
Pathfinder45

Sierra has hot rifle loads for strong actions.
Old February 21, 2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Charlie98

One of my manuals has pistol data for carbines... I'll have to go up and look to see which it is.

EDIT: The Speer #14 has separate rifle and cowboy rifle data for some cartridges.

OP, as was mentioned, you need to use a bullet with a cannelure, and use a good roll crimp (not excessive, just proper.)

Also, based on my experiences with the Marlin .45 Colt rifle... your rifle probably has the same lazy twist mine did... 1:38 if memory serves... so it will not like heavy bullets unless you drive them very fast; so, like you are doing, I would start with 200grn and work your way up, if you are wanting something heavier for hunting, etc. Although Unique is my favorite, and still probably a good choice for the 200grn bullet, you might look at something a little slower... like 2400 or IMR4227.

Be aware, also, that .45 Colt bores and chambers are all over the map. Every .45 Colt rifle chamber I've had has been oversize, and proper bullet accuracy relies on proper bullet size... sized for your bore.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old February 21, 2018, 10:32 AM   #9
zipspyder

It's good practice to use a roll crimp on all Colt 45 reloads no matter what you shoot it out of.
Old February 21, 2018, 02:47 PM   #10
Pathfinder45

If I had a bunch of 200 grain bullets, I suppose I would use them up. Or, if they were lead, I could just recast them to the proper weight. I'm done with light bullets in the 45 Colt. I prefer a 255 grain home cast bullet. If I do use something else, it's usually a 300 grain bullet which works pretty well in the Marlin's 24" barrel, grouping acceptably at 100 yards. For rifle loads, Unique shoots accurately, however, AA-9 and IMR-4227 are preferred as they will yield higher velocity. For a truly magnumized-version of the 45 Colt, I know a lot of folks use H-110 or W-296. But I don't like those powders in this caliber since they are better suited to higher pressure calibers like 357 and 44 magnums. They can work OK if loaded right near the maximum allowable pressure for a Ruger Blackhawk and such loads will work as well in a strong rifle. The Marlin is at least as strong. However, I think they made the chambers a little too large to facilitate feeding, and thus, from my rifle, the fired cases are always noticeably bulged. That doesn't make me want to run it at pressures quite that high and besides, AA-9 and IMR-4227 are a lot more flexible, especially if you need to run at pressures that will still be compatible with a revolver of less strength than the Blackhawk.

Last edited by Pathfinder45; February 21, 2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: caps correction