The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1
frumious

First rifle reloads!

I have been loading pistol for a couple years or so now. I load for .45ACP, 9mm, .357/.38 and .44mag. Just range/target rounds. I reload for economy.

In January I bought a Weatherby Vanguard in .308 for range/target use. This is my first rifle. I have put 80 rounds of factory ammo through it. This weekend I will put the last 20 rounds of factory ammo through it and (hopefully) my first 20 rounds of reloaded ammo.

That's one of my reloaded rounds on the left, and a factory Remington Core-Lokt 150gr on the right. The Core-Lokt 150's shoot into a couple of inches at 50 yards (I'm new at this rifle stuff) whereas Winchester Super-X 180's shoot into more like 3 inches. So my rifle likes the lighter bullets evidently. I have shot 20 rounds of the Winchester and 60 of the Remingtons, and the 20 factory rounds I have left to go are Remingtons.

My 20 reloads were put together with the following componenets:

Winchester cases
Remington Core-Lokt 150gr Pointed Soft Points, seated to 2.720 COAL, no crimp
41gr AA 2520
Winchester WLR primers

I am using my RCBS Pro2000 with the Lee Deluxe die set. I am neck-sizing only, using the Lee collet die. I did not trim, ream, or chamfer my brass as it all measured under 2.015". I picked AA 2520 because it is spherical and cheap. I picked that seating depth because it was a nice round number and somewhere around what the factory Remington loads use. I put a couple through my gun to check feeding and the bolt closed easily.

So I am excited

Hopefully my rounds shoot as well as the factory ones. I also bought some Core-Lokt 165's to see if my rifle likes those. I will load some of those up next time.

Thoughts, advice, observations?

I tellya what, my press sure looked weird with just two dies in it.

-cls
Old February 9, 2011, 07:45 PM   #2
11B-101ABN

There are few things more relaxing, and satisfying, than sending 5 round groups of ammo, that I made, down range, in a new gun, on a sunny afternoon.
You may see some tighter groups with your 168 grainers. The military (after much testing) picked 173 grain for their 30 cal (30-06), and 175 grain for their 7.62 NATO (308 WIN) Match ammo. And 150 grain for their ball ammo. You're in the ball park....Enjoy.
Old February 9, 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Dave R

Yup. My .308 Rem700 shoots 180gr. bullets tighter than 150gr.
Old February 10, 2011, 10:21 AM   #4
maillemaker

The noses look flattened. Is that normal?

Steve
Old February 10, 2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Ike666

I agree with maillemaker, the noses of your loads look to be flattened by the seating die. If you are only getting accuracy of a "couple of inches" at 50 yards that translates into about 4 MOA at 100 yards - that's pretty lame.

I wouldn't make any big decisions on your sweet load until you and your rifle can routinely put rounds inside a 50 cent piece at 100 yards.

The flattened noses will induce all kinds of wobble in the bullet flight and the nose has the most to do with the effects of air resistance on the flight path.

I've never loaded softtips and perhaps others can share some tricks and tips for producing good ammo.

Like you, I loaded only pistol for many, many years. Now I'm et up with the arcane world of rifle hand loads.
Old February 10, 2011, 11:41 AM   #6
GWS

Quote:
I wouldn't make any big decisions on your sweet load until you and your rifle can routinely put rounds inside a 50 cent piece at 100 yards.
That's decent advice.

My only .308 is a semi-auto Remington R25 (DPMS-made AR10 design). On the first try, using Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tip bullets, CCI primers, Remington Brass (from a box of Corelokts) and IMR4895, produced a repeated 50 cent piece group of 5 at 100 meters. Load used was Nosler's starting load in their manual. I was pleasantly surprised. No, I haven't developed, or worked up anything else yet.

I agree your bullets look......well....innaccurate. You don't have to worry about that with the plastic tipped Nosler Ballistic Tips, or something similar.

Last edited by GWS; February 10, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old February 10, 2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Doodlebugger45

Very odd, regarding the flattened noses. I load a fair number of softpoints and never have that problem. Your seating die shouldn't be pushing down on the tip of the bullet anyway. It should be contacting the bullet somewhere further down close to the ogive.
Old February 10, 2011, 07:11 PM   #8
ripnbst

I think they flat like that even when you buy the factory stuff. I dont think it's something he is doing.

You need some different bullets if you are loading for accuracy/target shooting. Ballistic tip boat tail anything is going to be better than a flat top soft point
Old February 10, 2011, 07:33 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnbst
Ballistic tip boat tail anything is going to be better than a flat top soft point
That's not necessarily true. Most benchrest shooters will tell you that flat base bullets are often more accurate than boattails out to as much as 200, even 300 yards. Plus, the tip of the bullet makes little difference to accuracy. The shape and condition of the base is much, much more important.... and flat bases are easier to get perfect than boattails.
Old February 10, 2011, 07:37 PM   #10
FJJ3

the core loks are like that, factory loaded & hand loaded. i tried working a load up for my .270 with core loks but never could get a good group. hornady amax, sierra matchkings, even fmj's would work much better than coreloks
Old February 10, 2011, 09:10 PM   #11
frumious

LOL I guess that one is pretty flat. I looked in the box where I have 20 handloads and my last 20 factory rounds, and I cannot tell mine from factory. Sitting there with the point facing up some look pretty flat and some look kinda round still. Meh.

Also, I agree that my groups so far are not good. And I am 100% sure that it is my inexperience with rifle shooting that is the problem. The Remington 150's definitely shoot better, so I am starting there with my handloads. I will probably stick with the components I have chosen for a while until my rifle skill improves. Other than that, though, I am not married to Remington bullets, 2520 powder, etc.

Thanks for all the advice! I will post a follow up after I shoot this weekend.

-cls
Old February 11, 2011, 03:39 AM   #12
misskimo

I do think those bullets are going to affect accuracy, I have a brand new box of rem corlock 270, looking at the tip tells me one think! worthless. I buy nosler bullets for reloading now , my coreloc bullets will sit on the shelf now,
T
Old February 11, 2011, 09:17 AM   #13
jeepster11

yes i would say try some

other bullet combos my 308 remington 700 loves the hornady 165 sst almost hole for hole at a 100 yards
Old February 11, 2011, 03:42 PM   #14
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Chamfer your cases and you will be able to seat your bullets with less pressure ! That could be the cause of your flat points , it's not so critical with boattail bullets , but the Core-Locts are flat based .
Old February 12, 2011, 09:18 PM   #15
frumious

Well my rifle and I survived my first reloads

I'm pretty sure my reloads shot a little better than the factory loads, but I am still too inconsistent with the rifle to say for sure.

Main thing is, I survived. Next thing is, they shot well. I am a happy camper!

-cls
Old February 12, 2011, 10:32 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, now you've done it....

You're addicted. We tried to warn you.
Old February 13, 2011, 12:41 AM   #17
BIGR

Congrats on your reloads. Now you are on your way to loading many rounds and much powder buring at the range.