The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Randman

Remington Model 11 12ga Age?

Hi, I hope this has not been beaten to death or anything. I just picked up a Model 11 today, and would like to figure out the year of it's birth so to speak. I found the chart on Remington's page, but the serial number does not start with letters, so not sure what that's about... it is a 6 digit number on the underside of the action

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Old January 27, 2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

800-243-9700 is Remington's service line. Call during normal hours, work through the phone tree, and when a real person gets on they will tell you when it was made.

Fine gun. Enjoy....
Old January 28, 2010, 02:18 AM   #3
Randman

Cool thanks, yes, it looks nice, reminds me of my dad's Browning's that I grew up with..He had a sweet 16, and a 20ga..

It is very clean, and well taken care of..used, but not abused..It's a keeper for sure...and the price was right...I bought it to help out a friend who is having money problems..So I over paid on purpose! LOL...Sometimes it's the right thing to do...
Old January 28, 2010, 02:34 AM   #4
DG45

I don't claim to be an expert, but all of the Remington "Model 11" 12 guage shotguns that I've ever seen or heard of that have six digit serial numbers located on the bottom of the receiver have been very early guns; I think some of them and maybe all of them that I've seen were made even before the gun was called the Model 11. (From 1905 until 1911 the Browning patent automatic shotgun that Remington made was simply called the Remington Autoloading Shotgun. It didn't become the Model 11 until 1911.) All of the very early guns like this that I've seen do not have the flying duck and flying pheasant rollmarks on the receiver like the later Model 11's have, and they do not have Model 11 rollmarked onto the breechbolt like the later Model 11's do. The barrels of all the real early ones that I've seen have been plain to the point that nobody has been able to tell if they were actually original to the gun, or were added to the gun later, because none identified Remington as the manufacturer. In fact, the real early Remington autoloaders that I've seen have often been confused with early Browning A-5's because they did not say Remington on the barrel. Why not post a few pictures of your gun showing all these features? I'd sure like to see it. I love the old Remingtons humpbacks, regardless whether they are pre-model 11s or are Model 11s.
Old January 28, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
Randman

I'll try to get some pics on today...It does have the Model 11 stamped on the barrel..And Remington blah, blah stamped as well...Browning Patents all that jazz..It has the trigger safety, so from what I have been reading it was an earlier production model. Just don't know the exact dates yet..waiting to hear back from Rem...
Old December 28, 2014, 10:10 AM   #6
waterfowler8504

DG45
I have a remington model 11 with a serial of 71xxx help me out on production date.
I will post pics this evening when I get home. The gun is not in great shape but I love the gun and want to know all I can about it.
Old December 29, 2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Kilrain

waterfowler8504, these links might help you out:

http://remingtonsociety.com/forums/v...ic.php?p=29989

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/questions/FR09
Old January 12, 2015, 12:37 PM   #8
Freakdaddy

I have my granddad's Model 11 that was made in 1920 with a six digit serial number that begins with 207***. This one does wear a Bishop stock and a poly-choke. They're great guns and I still shoot mine occasionally.

Old January 13, 2015, 01:38 AM   #9
upstate81

Thats a real nice shotgun. Never seen a stock like that ona model 11.
Old January 13, 2015, 10:24 AM   #10
DavidAGO

My Remington autoloading shotgun is serial # 140xxx, dates to 1912. Not marked model 11 anywhere, but does have the "Remington UMC" stamp on the underside of the tang behind the trigger guard. No roll marks on the receiver at all, barrel is plain. It had been my father's shotgun since he was young

DG45 I think has it right, they were marked as model 11s sometime in the teens, I think 1913.

David
Old January 13, 2015, 04:17 PM   #11
Dreaming100Straight

Aren't those images from the net and not your grandfathers actual gun?
Old January 13, 2015, 05:39 PM   #12
Freakdaddy

Quote:
Thats a real nice shotgun. Never seen a stock like that ona model 11.
Thanks for the compliment! Dad was originally from Warsaw, MO and had numerous friends that worked at Bishop and Reinhart-Fajen when Warsaw was considered the "Gun Stock Capital of the World". I believe either his first or second wife worked at Bishop and that's probably why this gun and two others I inherited have Bishop stocks on them as well as a Marlin 81-DL that had checkering done at Bishop.

Quote:
Aren't those images from the net and not your grandfathers actual gun?
LOL! No, it's actually my granddad's gun and I now own it after Dad passed away. The pictures are mine as well that I actually took...just in case anyone is wondering.