The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
breakingcontact

Local Academy Sports limiting ammo purchases even more.

Not sure if this is corporate policy or local policy,

But they are limiting the popular calibers to one box per day, 3 boxes (calibers) total.

So you can get a box of 22LR, 223 and 9mm but that's it for the day.

Actually pretty reasonable and should help to calm the craziness. Perhaps this should have been implemented earlier?
Old January 20, 2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

They have done it before. After the cheap places get sold out they start getting a run and then limit sales. They want to sell guns not ammo but people might not buy the gun if they cant get the ammo.
Old January 21, 2013, 12:36 AM   #3
BarryLee

The one near me in suburban Atlanta is doing the same thing and say they have about twenty to thirty folks at the door each morning to buy them out. The counter guy said he thinks they are from small gun shops that can’t get any shipments.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 21, 2013, 03:46 AM   #4
Ben Towe

Not surprising. Almost everyone around here is limiting ammo to 1 or 2 boxes per caliber.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Spydr1299

Same here in Birmingham Alabama. I happened to walk in and notice stacks of .223, .22 and 45s behind customer service, I thought I hit the jackpot until they told me the limit. Oh well, kinda sucks but I can understand serving more customers throughout the day instead of that one guy who buys it all.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:06 AM   #6
RCPractitioner

While I believe in the free market and what not I can see how this makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Lots of happy customers to get a few rounds for their guns vs 1 or 2 happy guys who buy it all the morning they open the doors.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:40 AM   #7
rickyrick

I'd rather buy a box a day than no boxes for 8months
Old January 21, 2013, 08:31 AM   #8
breakingcontact

I think its a good move. The store opens at 8am by me. I would get there at 805 and it would be sold out. They were giving out numbers for ARs for those who waited outside the door. I was surprised they even got a few of those in.

Suppose it might actually increase their sales even. If you really want a bunch of ammo. You'll have to go their daily now and might just pick up some other stuff.
Old January 21, 2013, 11:55 AM   #9
The Pontificator

The ammo and now gun purchase limit is corporate policy. I work part time at Academy and saw the memo from corporate. This was spurred on by panic buyers and local gun shop owners who would come into the store early in the morning and fill shopping carts with anything they could find ammo-wise. It was causing huge problems with other customers who could not even get a single box of ammo.
Whether you agree with it or not I believe it was the right thing to do as a temporary solution until this panic buying subsides.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:13 PM   #10
rickyrick

Last time I was at academy two or three weeks ago, I was milling around. People would come in at a fast pace and make a beeline strait to the ammo counter.

I'm glad they have this policy now, and it's good for business because I will now resume shopping at academy. I had stopped going because I figured that there would be no ammo, so no real point in going.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Patriot86

My LGS is limiting purchases to 5 boxes total.
FMJ stuff is flying off the shelves and gowing up in price.
Hollow Points seem to still be well stocked and pricing is not any worse or better than before.

I blame this all on the new gun owners and those who never shoot much.
I ran into three people @ my LGS Friday who owned guns and had no idea why JHP rounds are more than FMJ or why you would use JHP rounds vs FMJ for SD/HD. They questioned why I was buying 2 50 round boxes of 9MM 147 Gr Gold Dots instead of the cheaper $16.00/50 FMJ stuff....basically people see box X is $19.99/50 and box Y is $29.99/50 so they buy box X.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:21 PM   #12
The Pontificator

Another good thing about Academy is that they did not raise their prices on guns or ammo in an attempt to gouge the public. The only price increases I have seen have been due to manufacturer price increases.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:57 PM   #13
TommyP

Same thing at my local Academy.....one box per caliber, three boxes max per customer per day.

I support the limits.....the guy in front of me today didn't read the sign and tried to buy every box of .40 S&W they had. I was able to pickup a box of .40 and .45 without a problem.