The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 23, 2009, 09:41 PM   #1
jdscholer

More Coyote Success

I've got a coyote callin partner for a week. Grandson Kaelin has a week off of school for Thanksgiving and has come to stay. He has never gone calling before and we went out for a few quick stands this morning close to the house.

On our second try of the morning, we parked the Jeep and walked about a half mile up the road, to where it felt right. We sat down back to back, with Kaelin holding the old 218 Bee, and me with the 12 ga. loaded with buckshot. He faced the "most likely" direction, and I called. (Daryl, if you're reading, I used the ancient old Weam's All Call that I started with about 35 years ago.)

I gave my first series of squeals, and I'll be damned if my phone didn't ring. Yeah, RRRRIIIIINNNNGGGG!!!!! I answered it and whispered a quick call ya back, and started squealing again. I stopped calling and we had waited no more than three minutes, when I felt Kaelin put his rifle up and whisper, "Oh yeah! Here we go!!!" I glanced over my shoulder and there was a nice coyote stopped staring at us about 30 yards away. I was starting to wonder if Kaelin was going to shoot, or talk about it for awhile when BAMM... the coyote dropped like a rock.

And like WOW!!!! I've called and killed a lot of coyotes, but this was probably the ----second best one yet. The Gods of the Hunt blessed us with good luck, good skill, good marksmanship, and a clean kill. The coyote was a real beauty, and the 40 gr. V-Max blew up and never exited. Gonna make a real nice pelt.

We fiddled around and had a good time, "aren't we great afternoon" and pretty much wasted the rest of our hunting time, but we have several more days and a lot of great spots to try. Later, jd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaelin Coyote.jpg (161.8 KB, 171 views)
Old November 23, 2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Congrats to the both of you! Great write-up!
Old November 24, 2009, 09:13 AM   #3
LeopardCurDog

Great job! He'll remember you and that hunt the rest of his life!
Old November 24, 2009, 10:34 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
We fiddled around and had a good time, "aren't we great afternoon" and pretty much wasted the rest of our hunting time
Wasted? I bet he remembers this afternoon the few moments he takes shots and forgets all the time you guys spend sitting and waiting. Sounds like a great day to me.
Old November 24, 2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Daryl

jd,

I'm envious of your hunt. I love taking young and/or new hunters out and getting them the shots. It doesn't always come together the way I want, but it's sure nice when it does!

Those old Weems calls are hard to beat. I have one that my dad gave me when I was a kid, and I still use it.

I'm headed out in the morning with a fellar from SC (??) who's here for Thanksgiving with his in-laws. I've never met the man, but he sent me a PM over on the CG board, and asked if I'd mind going along. He's new to the area, so I'll get him started and we'll hopefully have as good of a day as you guys did!

Congrat's to you and the young man, and the best of luck to y'all in the next few days. I'll be looking forward to more success stories!

Daryl
Old November 24, 2009, 11:59 PM   #6
jdscholer

UPDATE TO THREAD!!!

Kaelin and I headed out again this morning to give it another try not too far from our yesterday spot. (about two miles from the house)

Stand #1: Great "feel", but no luck; at least that we saw.

Stand #2: Two coyotes couldn't resist the masterful squeals that I produced on the old Weams call and came running in together on Kaelins side as we sat back to back. They stopped about 60 yards out, providing him with a head shot only on one dog. He aimed low through the brush where the body should be, but----no cigar. Both dogs escaped unscathed. We tracked them with skiffs of snow for guidance, but no blood told the tale of a clean miss. I didn't try to embarrass the boy until a few hours later.

Stand #3: Walked about a mile to a great looking spot, and after more time than I usually spend, a real nice dog showed up on my side, stopping about 60 yards out. The breeze was kinda bad for me but he still gave me about three seconds to decide not to sling a load of #4 buck at him. (just a little too far for a sure thing) He turned and went back the way he came, and when I paced the distance out to his tracks, I was glad I hadn't tried it. Good thing is that Kaelin got to see the coyote also.

We felt pretty good about the morning results even though no blood was spilt, and decided to have some lunch and pick up Gunner the wirehair dog for a little quail hunting. Went over to my favorite patch, where I killed a coyote with quail shot the other day, and the covey was there.

As is often the case, the quail were tricky, fast, uncooperative, and generally made fools out of us. The boy had never done this before, and got a real eye opener. His single shot 20 FINALLY brought down his first quail, and the day was about done. We limped on home a lot humbler. Even my masterful shotgunning killed only three.

I'll tell ya, as I sit and peck on this keyboard, and splain about it all to ya, I can only say that life is good and God is great. jd
Old November 25, 2009, 05:59 PM   #7
shortwave

Enjoying reading about your hunts JD. How long do you usually call at one location till you try another? Also, how far apart are your different locations?
Old November 25, 2009, 07:01 PM   #8
jdscholer

Hey shortwave. I try to stay at one spot for at least 20 minutes, but frankly the coyotes usually show up in the first 5 or 10 if they're going to at all.

How far we travel to the next spot kinda depends on the lay of the land and how thick the cover is. Sometimes we walk to the next spot but usually go back to the rig and drive about a mile or so. Don't take my methods as the final word, as I am still learning. (after 30 some years) jd
Old November 25, 2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Quail fear

The coyote kill

Yeah it was me who shot him and I got him in the chest he dropped like a rock. I can remember looking in the area that JD Scholar pointed to and told me that's where the coyote should come from. After he got a phone call it came in, and I he was right where grandpa Jim told me he would be and ya I got him. It was the most exciting thing ever to expierience.
Old November 25, 2009, 07:26 PM   #10
shortwave

Quote:
Don`t take my methods as final word, as I am still learning. (after some 30 years)
That beats my 30 minutes anyday. Shot two in the backyard a week ago 10:30 friday night. A pup and a female. There was another pup but it got away. Shot them out the living room window with a 22 rifle while wife held light. Couldn`t believe they didn`t run when light was shined on them. They learn quickly cause pup that got away was back Tuesday night but ran as soon as he saw light. Thats my 'vast' Coyote shooting experience.
Old November 25, 2009, 07:33 PM   #11
fisherman66

Good fer you! I'm not in a hurry to have grandkids, but I do look forward to the day I take one hunting.
Old November 25, 2009, 08:18 PM   #12
shortwave

Good shootin Quail fear. Know you`re enjoying the hunts with grandpa. I think grandpa`s enjoying them too. Having a good huntin companion is priceless.
Old November 25, 2009, 08:20 PM   #13
Quail fear

Fisherman66

That's pretty cool wish I could do that at my house I live in a private community with nice bucks roaming in my back yard can't shoot any of them

Last edited by Quail fear; November 25, 2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old November 25, 2009, 08:23 PM   #14
Quail fear

Shortwave

Yeah some of the best enjoyment I get out here with my grandpa.It just started with me coming out and shooting the BB gun at cans.
Old November 26, 2009, 08:44 AM   #15
Normb263

Great Stuff

Man, just reading about your experience with your grandson reeally pushed some buttons for me. I have two "all-boy" grandsons that are a little young yet to carry on the "gun totin' tradition and learn to hunt ethically. As good a posting as I've ever read. I'm so looking forward to being a part of their training. Normb263