The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2001, 10:23 AM   #1
houndawg

I notice a lot of the cast lead bullets out there are semi-wadcutters. How well do these feed in a semi-auto like a SIG? My concern is the step just below the cone. Wouldn't the step increase the tendency for misfeeds, as opposed to a truncated cone or a flat found nose which have nothing for the feed ramp to catch on?
Old January 20, 2001, 11:11 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess you'll just have to try a few and see for yourself. Sometimes, feeding problems can be solved by tweaking with the lips of the magazine--carefully, of course.

The only reason for the SWCs is for easier scoring on paper. If that's not a concern for you, there's plenty of RNs available...

Art
Old January 20, 2001, 04:32 PM   #3
Steve Smith

What Art said.

Unless you're shooting for score, then by all means use RNs. I shoot for score a lot, and all I use is SWCs. Some guns handle SWCs fine, and others don't. Technically, as a cartridge is being loaded into the chamber from the magazine, it stays horizontal...since the mag lips are supposed to allow the case head to be released at the same time as the bullet touches the feed ramp. The "step" SHOULDN'T cause problems, IMHO ever. If I had a gun that wouldn't feed them reliably, then I'd have concerns about carrying it...with any type of ammo. I like my carry guns to swallow just about anything besides rocks.
Old January 20, 2001, 06:51 PM   #4
handgunhunting

are swc cast bullets good for hunting as well as punching clean holes?
Old January 20, 2001, 08:06 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, better than round-nose. A bit more tissue damage, I'd guess. A softer bullet might expand a bit, also.

I haven't checked the loading data, but a 185-grain SWC could be driven a bit faster than the 200; good enough for coyotes and smaller...

Hope this helps, Art
Old January 21, 2001, 07:43 AM   #6
Quantrill

In addition to all the good suggestions already listed, you might try polishing the feeding ramp. I had a .45 that balked at feeding the H&G#68 semi-wad and polishing the ramp solved the problem. Quantrill
Old January 21, 2001, 10:48 AM   #7
beemerb

My 220 (stock) feeds semi wads with no problems.I allso loaded some backwards to make a full wadcutter style (no powder or primer)and it feeds them fine too.You should have no problems with the sig
Old January 21, 2001, 11:01 AM   #8
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

My 220 also feeds SWC's just fine. The cheapest load at the local range is local reloads of 200-gr SWC's. I took 300 rds to EOSM and never missed a beat, having used 'em at the range before. Now that I load my own I use LRN and a few jacketed hollow points, but if you have a SIG it's definitely worth a try. They feed just about anything.