The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2010, 07:29 AM   #1
rude robert

rem 6.5 primers

On another hunting forum someone says that I can use these primers on my .357 magnum? I bought them for the .223 in my ar15 but these are not the best primers for it so I am told. I have 800 left and I don't want to through them away. I use h110 powder any suggestions. I tried to ask and or sell them before, but I had no on interested. thx robert
Old August 9, 2010, 08:43 AM   #2
demigod

I saw the other thread. If you were in AZ I'd trade you primers. I like the 6 1/2s for pistol loads.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:30 AM   #3
rude robert

well, i wish in a lot of ways i lived in az lol.
Old August 10, 2010, 10:39 AM   #4
demigod

I don't know what the peak pressure levels on .357 are. But if it's below 38,000 psi, I think those primers will work fine. I've run them on .223 loads over 40,000 psi, and I've not had any primer flow, pierced primers, or excessive primer flattening.
Old August 10, 2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

They're intended for the Hornet, which is rated at about 43,000 cup, and by CIP at about 44,000 psi. Current .357 SAAMI spec is 35,000 psi. Should be fine for 2400. I don't know, what with their being mild primers, how they compare to magnum pistol primers for strength? I suspect they are similar, but you'd have to ask Remington, if they'll tell you? You want magnum strength for H110/296, which is harder to light reliably than 2400.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 17, 2010, 12:32 AM   #6
escard

keep them for .357 mag loads

I had good experiences with .357 loads using SR primers (cci-400 & Rem 7 1/2) with slowburning powders......(2400 & H-110)
the higher cup of the SR-Primer did very well in Remington brass........
Old August 17, 2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Sport45

I agree with the caution about using them with H-110. They might work,but why take the chance. Do you load anything that takes regular small pistol primers like .38spl or 9mm? If so you can certainly use them up there.
Old August 20, 2010, 01:49 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

No matter which company makes them, there is a difference between small rifle and small pistol primers. ALso between large pistol and large rifle primers.

The difference is thickness of the primer cup metal, and amount of (and mybe type of) priming compound. This can make a difference in the pressure of the firing round, and might be the difference between a safe load one one that is not.

It might not make any practical difference, or it might, depending on what the load is that is being used. Too many variables involved to be able to give a definative answer from internet distance.

One thing that has been found is that, using small rifle primers in certain guns will give erratic ignition, as the firing pin strike from some pistols is not as much as most rifles (even light caliber rifles). With most handguns, it may not be a problem, but why risk it?

IF your .357 reliably ignites small rifle primers, then go ahead and use them, BUT, do not just plug them in to a max level powder charge. Back off the powder and work the load up carefully, to be safe. Changing to a small rifle primer can raise the pressure several thousand psi. THis might be a critical difference, or it might not, again, depending on many other factors. Be safe, not cheap!
Old August 20, 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
demigod

Quote:
One thing that has been found is that, using small rifle primers in certain guns will give erratic ignition, as the firing pin strike from some pistols is not as much as most rifles
I've experienced this first hand. I loaded some 9mm with WOLF SRM (small rifle magnum) primers and got about a 1-2% failure to ignite.

They wouldn't fire upon a second strike either. This was in my G17.