The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 17, 2006, 09:16 PM   #1
parrothead2581

870 barrel clamp

I am pretty new to the world of long arms (mostly handguns here). I am looking at adding a sling to my Remington 870 HD. There is no swivel stud in the buttstock so I'll have to have that drilled (I don't trust myself to do it right, unfortunately). I was wondering, on the underside of the barrel clamp is a hole. What is it for, sling swivel attachment of some sort? It just seems, to me, a bit big for that. But then again, I have no experience in that so who am I to talk. Thanks!
Old January 18, 2006, 12:36 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

Depending on the brand of the clamp, the large hole fits an Uncle Mike's quick detachable, push-button sling swivel, OR a stud that takes a standard swivel.

Here's a link to the type of push-button swivel that locks into the clamp hole:
http://www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate...catky2=2000188

To use, you simply press the button, and insert the end into the hole in the clamp.
You don't need to use the lock base if the hole in the clamp is the right size.

Another type, usually used on the Remington factory clamp, is a stud that's riveted into the hole in the clamp.
On this type, a standard quick detachable swivel hooks into the hole in the stud.

Here's the Uncle Mike's version of the Remington factory clamp.
Note the stud riveted into the bottom of the clamp.
http://www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate...catky2=2000180
The swivel just loops through the hole in the stud.

In my opinion, the push-button swivel is neater. You don't have to rivet the stud into the clamp, and with the swivel off, there's no stud sticking out in the way.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:53 PM   #3
parrothead2581

Thanks Dfaris!