The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2001, 08:06 PM   #1
bullfrog99

I'm looking for a good gunsmith who can really make a 45 colt mountain gun's trigger like butter. i know most gunsmiths have basic trigger job skills, but i'm looking for someone who can work a trigger that can make me cry for joy. anyone know a good gunsmith with the tallents i require?
Old March 6, 2001, 02:16 PM   #2
mikey357

Well, yeah...as a matter of fact, I've got a Model 625...from the first run, marked "Model of 1988", that HAD the absolute WORST trigger I had ever experienced on an N-frame Smith...UNTIL Lou Ciamillo of Maryland Gun Works(located in Augusta, GA--LONG story!) worked his "magic" on it. I had TWO of the 625's at the time, and purposefully gave him the one with the crummier trigger...gave the other one to a well-know local 'smith. The one the local guy did is okay, but...the 625 Ciamillo did is OUTSTANDING!!! BTW, Mrs. 3-5-7 has a Ciamillo-tuned Model 19 that is also superb...she wouldn't trade it for love or money!....mikey357
Old March 6, 2001, 02:20 PM   #3
9mmepiphany

most of my smiths (PPC and duty) have been done by bill davis in sacramento CA.

also had a beautiful action job on a m-58 by milton morrison (back when we called him milt and he was in sacto) who now owns qualite guns in AZ, i'm not sure if he still does DA stuff.

i just had an action tune on my 642 (the hardest to slick-up IMO) from a local smith, dale @ d&m gunsmithing. didn't expect too much, had another smith do my 60 and 34...servicable, but... dale's action tune was worth singing about...it was soooo smooth i'm now working out the hold-over beyond 25yds

i've handled and been very impressed by n-frames done by "big-name" smiths like power custom and andy cannon, but i sorta like to stick with my local talent if the quality is comparable.
Old March 7, 2001, 12:58 AM   #4
Cheapo

Me.

Well, maybe not to truly "sing" about, but my trigger jobs will always go BANG, even with CCI primers and thin-rimmed brass (also no light-strike velocity variations, either).

Every time I've handled someone else's superduper "combat" trigger job revolver down at the range, I've found DANGEROUSLY light hammersprings. One misfired fully 10% when the shooter switched to factory .357s!

But I seriously doubt that the professional 'smiths mentioned in this thread would lighten them up that much.

IMNSHO, there remains a limit as to how light you can make any S&W's DA trigger. Smooth can be done!
Old March 7, 2001, 04:49 PM   #5
9mmepiphany

i have to agree with cheapo, smooth is more important than light...reliability must be 100% all my guns have been 100% both on the street and in competition. I have a colt, w/floating firing pin, with about a 7# DA pull that has never had a mis-fire using everything including CCI and federal .357 mag
Old March 7, 2001, 05:51 PM   #6
Gunslinger

A little off the topic, but 9, unless he has moved Milt is in CO.
Old March 7, 2001, 06:16 PM   #7
9mmepiphany

you're most likely right, i lost track, if you happen to talk to him tell him tang says hi
Old March 8, 2001, 01:47 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

Me, too. But I don't do it commercially.

I became kind of disgusted with the results from a couple of "smiths" here in Virginia, so I taught myself how to do it.

Results have been VERY gratifying, and so far I've done partial action jobs on about 20 Smiths, and full bore action jobs on maybe 10 more.

Some have been mine, some belong to friends & acquaintences.

How did I learn to do it?

By taking I gun I didn't care if I messed up on too badly, and Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, and just went VERY slowly.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 11, 2001, 10:27 AM   #9
eger precision

Like most guys,Id say me,but there is one that comes to mind that might really be able to do what you are looking for.

Try Teddy Jacobson, Actions by T, in Sugarland Texas.

He has a web site.
Old March 11, 2001, 11:56 AM   #10
Lmccrock

Bill Davis in Sacramento???

9mmepiphany, the Bill Davis shop has been closed for some time. Did he start up again?

And, Dale Martenia at DM Custom has done work for me, although not specifically N-frame triggers. I am satisfied so far, but he has my ParaOrdnance P14-45 for some trigger work now, so we shall see. Warning: his backlog is over 11 weeks now.

Old March 11, 2001, 03:50 PM   #11
TDunn

I'll second the vote for Teddy Jacobson. He worked up my SW642 and Colt King Cobra. I couldn't recognize the action when I got it back. Smooth as a babies butt and 100% reliable. He does a bunch of work for law enforcement at local, state, and federal level. Also, he does all the work himself - no underlings will touch your gun. Even with him doing the work himself, I had my guns back in a little over a week. I think his "standard" delivery is 4-6 weeks - depending on whether you pay by cash or credit and whether you are law enforcement or not. Check out his website at http://www.actionsbyt.com - you WON'T be unhappy.
Old March 12, 2001, 12:26 PM   #12
9mmepiphany

lmccrock - i hadn't heard that bill had closed his shop, of course it's been awhile since i'd been in the shop...sorta taperd off when his backlog extended into multiple months.

i've always had outstanding service from dale, he did an unbelievably smooth, approx. 4# street trigger, tune on my series 80 officer's acp that rivaled my old series 70 combat commander.

i trade in waiting time for peace of mind, i just carry somthing else as a duty gun while one is in the shop.
Old March 14, 2001, 12:11 PM   #13
Wallew

Singing S&W

If breaking like glass is what you are looking for, I do trigger job on N frames that make them smooth and the trigger breaks like glass. I don't alter any springs to accomplish that, just one - two hours with my india stones smoothing all surfaces that contact each other. You must be careful not to alter the angle of the sear, but other than that, it's just time consuming.

I learned this skill at Colorado School of Trades, gunsmithing program and perfected it on my S&W 625 mountain gun in .45 acp. What a carry piece. Too bad I sold all three of them recently. I am considering a Taurus, if I can find the right one.

Old March 15, 2001, 11:54 PM   #14
Zander

If you're looking for someone in the Tennessee area, I recommend Rocky McWilliams, master gunsmith, at Gun Mart in Nashville.

He's a perfectionist; I don't let anyone else work on my wheelguns. In more than ten years of his work for me and mine, I've never been disappointed.

[615]352-3091 if you're interested in a smooooooth trigger job on your revolver or pistol.
Old March 16, 2001, 03:19 AM   #15
Romulus

An excellent trigger man I knew a few years ago was Wayne Schuett, another CST graduate...a magician with a stone.

Check his website (not a smithy site per se, but you can contact him there)

http://www.conceptsupply.com

Hope he's still in the business, as good as they come
Old March 16, 2001, 03:43 AM   #16
Romulus

Forget that link, it leads to a different company...But I still stand by Wayne's work...I'll try to find the right link