The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 4, 2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Rjeezie

Hog Hunting

I went hog hunting in TX for the first time with some friends. I didn't have a rifle, so I use one of their SKS's. The other guns they were using were another SKS and a RRA .223.

I really enjoyed going and want to go more with them but don't have a rifle. So my question is, what would be a good, verastile rifle to get (staying relatively cheap...I don't want to break the bank)? This will be mainly for Hog hunting. My experience has all been with semi's.

Thanks
Old May 4, 2011, 03:24 PM   #2
curly45

hog hunt

If you liked the sks and it did the job for you; Go with it.
Old May 4, 2011, 04:30 PM   #3
hornetguy

a few more specifics would help..

Do you WANT to stay with an autoloader? If so, then for the price, it's difficult to beat the SKS. It's light, handy, goes bang every time.. the only downside is that with the standard 123gr bullet, it could be a little light for bigger hogs (over 150 pounds) at least in my experience. Go with the 154 gr softpoint.

If you don't care about rifle type, find the cheapest Marlin 30-30 lever gun you can. It'll kill hogs all day long, and is faster than a bolt action in getting multiple shots off.
Old May 4, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
shootniron

This is just me, but I would stay with the SKS if I liked autos. I would try to find a paratrooper and put a synthetic stock on it and a decent scope and I would be set for very cheap money.

Also, that FMJ behind the ear is an effective hog killer if you do not want to buy HPs.
Old May 4, 2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Rjeezie

I think I want to stay in autoloader. I would be open to a lever action, but don't think I want bolt action. Just a preference thing I guess.

I had fun going hunting, but not sure if I just fell in love with the SKS. That's why I was wanting some suggestions.

The one I used had a Tapco stock, but the sights sucked.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:09 PM   #6
Double Naught Spy

Got with the SKS and then put a nice little Vortex Sparc red dot on it ($180-200) and you would be good to go out to 200 yards, or get a magnified scope if you like.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:15 PM   #7
TenRing

The SKS is a nice, low cost rifle that can double as a hog rifle and a HD rifle.

However, if I were you, I would go with a Winchester or Marlin lever action rifle in .30-30 or in .44 magnum. Those also make good HD rifles and they are easier on the eyes. Lever actions are lighter and easier to carry since they don't have the protruding magazine.

With practice you can work a lever action almost as fast as a semi-auto. I hunt deer with a lever action with open sights.
Old May 4, 2011, 07:06 PM   #8
okiewita40

If you liked the sks stick with it. Get some soft point ammo and maybe a set of tech sights and your set. The sks is fairly accurate not moa but accurate enough. Stick with a russian or chinese. I wouldn't get a yugo just because of the gas block but those can be replaced also.
Old May 4, 2011, 09:43 PM   #9
Rjeezie

After looking around a bit, I'm starting to look hard at the Marlin 30-30... I like the versatility of the SKS and the fact that I can customize it more, but there's something smooth about the lever action ya know...

What would a good price for either be?
Old May 4, 2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Zen Archery

"the only downside is that with the standard 123gr bullet, it could be a little light for bigger hogs (over 150 pounds) at least in my experience. Go with the 154 gr softpoint. "

I've killed my 4 biggest hogs with a 125 gr sp. The biggest hog close to 400# 1 shot through the chest.
Old May 4, 2011, 11:31 PM   #11
TenRing

The SKS will run from $200 to about $400 depending on condition and on where you buy it. The Marlin 336 will run from about $350 to about $550 depending on the grade and whether you catch a sale. If you wait until close to deer season, you will find lots of sales on the Marlin 336.

There are several grades of the Marlin 336. They differentiate the grade of stock, recoil pad, front sight hood, blue vs. stainless, etc.

If you buy one at Walmart, it will likely be the low grade. If you want a deluxe grade, go to one of the higher end gun shops.
Old May 5, 2011, 07:48 AM   #12
hornetguy

Quote:
I've killed my 4 biggest hogs with a 125 gr sp. The biggest hog close to 400# 1 shot through the chest.
Yes, I'm aware they will kill hogs. That's what I used for the two I shot, Federal 123gr softpoints. Both were about 150# and were shot at less than 50yds. The first one just squealed and stood there for about 3 or 4 seconds before falling over and kicking. I shot again to end the episode. The second one fell over, kicking and squealing, and I shot it again to end it. Either one would have died, both shots were low behind the shoulder, quartering forward. I just would rather have a more "immediate" kill. I don't mind killing an animal, I just don't want to make them suffer. The quicker the better. I also found out, during dressing them, just how densely muscled a hog is. Much more muscular than a deer. I would rather use a heavier bullet that will have a chance of "plowing on through" than a lighter, more explosive bullet.
That's why I said "in my experience"

If you don't mind a used Marlin levergun, go check your local pawn shops. LOTS of folks buy them, almost never shoot them, then pawn/sell them when they get tired of having them in the closet. You should be able to find a really nice Marlin for under 300 dollars. Look for the "Glenfield" guns, as well. They were made for Montgomery Wards, I think, and were a lower grade Marlin, with a hardwood stock instead of walnut. Sometimes they are cheaper than the Marlins, but just as good a gun... unless you insist on walnut.
Old May 5, 2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Zen Archery

For hogs I like autoloaders. Yes, you can cycle a rifle quickly for follow up shots but you cant cycle a rifle and keep it on target at the same time. When a sounder of hogs comes rolling in you want to be able to tap that trigger quickly without having to cycle and get it back on target again. Even if a hog does go down I keep my SKS or A.R. on that porker, if the legs are kicking I always drop another round. I've had 2 hogs run of thinking 1 shot was enough. Lesson learned.
Old May 5, 2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Rjeezie

Quote:
For hogs I like autoloaders. Yes, you can cycle a rifle quickly for follow up shots but you cant cycle a rifle and keep it on target at the same time. When a sounder of hogs comes rolling in you want to be able to tap that trigger quickly without having to cycle and get it back on target again. Even if a hog does go down I keep my SKS or A.R. on that porker, if the legs are kicking I always drop another round. I've had 2 hogs run of thinking 1 shot was enough. Lesson learned.
What kind of rifle are you using?
Old May 5, 2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Rjeezie

The friend's SKS was a Norinco. Is this one ok? How much should it sell for?
Old May 5, 2011, 10:07 AM   #16
rickyrick

In my area, Heavy Mesquite, Any carbine .223 or above should work for you....The longest pig shots That i can possibly take is near the entrance to the ranch which is 120 yds in the most open part, surprisingly this is where i get most of my pigs. The distance has never been over 50
I have sat on the round bales several times and waited for them to come walking down the Private entry road, single file.
if I wait long enough they can get as close as 10-20 feet.
They make enough noise when traveling in groups like that they don't know I'm there.

but i digress LOL...auto loader is not completely necessary but handy, so whatever you feel confident in shooting thats in your budget go for it...
...If you're in a situation where you must shoot near livestock I caution against a rifle and bullet combo That exits...optics are a must at night A cheapy Tasco will do fine 4x should be all you need.

I use a mini14 With varmint class bullets as my exclusive nighttime hog gun, as they are quite nasty at the close ranges, I was surprised at the effectiveness.

But this is all my particular situation yours may vary. The mini w/varmint bullets would not be doable at over 100yds I would guess.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:48 AM   #17
hornetguy

Quote:
I agree with your statement. For me, the ideal hog rifle would be the SKS, but I just prefer heavier bullets than you use. Perhaps with more hogs shot, I would find the 125 to be adequate, but with my admittedly limited experience, I would choose the russian 154gr stuff. Just as a matter of good luck, they hit just about the same point of impact as the 123gr stuff from my Norinco.
I like the idea of repeat shots without losing the sight picture. A GOOD shooter with a levergun can do that, but it is still slightly slower. However, I wouldn't feel in the least bit inconvenienced, or under-gunned using a levergun. Especially since the 30-30 is slightly more powerful than the 7.62X39. And, with the levergun, you have the option of using cast boolits of a fairly large weight range.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:04 PM   #18
BIG P

Had pretty good luck with SAIGA'S 762x39 & 308.with just a little work it makes a good hog gun. low cost,dependable,getting better with the aftermarket parts might be worth a look. good luck.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:44 PM   #19
Zen Archery

"What kind of rifle are you using?"

Last year I used an SKS and fell in love with the 7.62x39 caliber
I picked up an A.R. in 7.62x39 in February and haven't put it down since.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:47 PM   #20
Zen Archery

I just realized you're in the Dallas area if you wanna meet at Garland and fling some rounds with my SKS to get a feel lemmie know. I may sell it but not hurting for cash.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:09 PM   #21
hornetguy

I didn't look, but I guess all three of us are in the Dallas area. I shoot out at Garland fairly frequently. Not as often as I'd LIKE to, but maybe every other week or so. If you guys wanted to set up a time, I could bring out my SKS as well, to get a feel for different guns of the same make.
Old May 5, 2011, 04:14 PM   #22
hornetguy

Quote:
The friend's SKS was a Norinco. Is this one ok? How much should it sell for?
Mine is a Norinco. I've had it maybe 25 years, and it's never malfunctioned. Ever.
I am not overly persnickety when it comes to cleaning them, either. Just when it starts to look dirty, I'll take it down and clean it. It's accurate enough for hunting. Definitely hog-worthy out to 100yds, possibly a bit more, with my eyes and open sights.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:22 PM   #23
Mayor Al

We are prepping for our June Hog Hunt in East Texas. I will have a Winchester Model 100 308 caliber autoloader and my Saiga 12 gauge Autoloader full of slugs. Since I have a two hog limit, I hope to try each gun on one, then decide which will become the primary Hog Gun for future hunts. My grandson will use a Marlin Lever-action 44 magnum and his other Grandpa will have a Marlin 30-30.
All in all each of these guns will work in that 'short-range hunting area',

I'll report back after the hunt.

Here are my two choices for Hog Guns-

1. A Model 100 Winchester 308 autoloader with a 3-12x50mm scope set on low mag. Using Remington 180 gr PSP ammo.

And
2. My Saiga S-12 with it's factory 5 rd mag and a 1.5x6x40mm scope with the hog-rangefinder installed. Using 1 oz slugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rifle May 2011 012aa.jpg (234.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg rifle May 2011 013a.jpg (236.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg rifle May 2011 007aa.jpg (237.0 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by Mayor Al; May 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:57 AM   #24
ClydeFrog

Ruger Mini 14 in 6.8SPC II or a Remington hunting rifle(AR type)...

For large wild hogs or boars I'd get a Ruger Mini 14 in 6.8SPC II or maybe the larger Mini 30 in 7.62x39mm ComBloc.
I saw a neat rifle on Remington's main website; www.Remington.com . It's camo & set up like a AR.
Since Im a left hander I may opt for a Stag Arms rifle in 7.62mm or 6.8SPC II.
Due to the savage & violent nature of wild hogs, I'd want a powerful semi auto with a good .50AE/.50GI/10mm pistol as a BUG(back up).
I wouldn't take any chances with those nasty MFers.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:19 AM   #25
model18

hog gun

a .35 rem in a marlin lever or remington pump works wonders, too!!!!!!