The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2010, 11:29 AM   #26
KySilverado

That isn't right. May not be on Accurates recall list but I venture it soon will be.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:33 AM   #27
uncyboo

Quote:
That is weird. Maybe someone stole the powder and filled it back up with whatever before returning it for his cash back. Then you bought it.
That's why most places won't take powder, primers, or bullets back for exchange or refund.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:49 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"That's why most places won't take powder, primers, or bullets back for exchange or refund."

Bingo.

Years go I clutched and bought the wrong IMR powder for what I wanted to reload. I realized it within the hour and took it back to the shop, where I had been buying literally for years.

Even though they knew me, they were still very hesitant to take the powder back. Gib would only take it back after I swore on a stack of bibles that I had not opened the can.

I exchanged it for a can of the right powder, and we were fine, but the only reason he let me exchange it was because both my Father and I had been buying there for years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 17, 2010, 11:58 AM   #29
uncyboo

Quote:
"That's why most places won't take powder, primers, or bullets back for exchange or refund."

Bingo.

Years go I clutched and bought the wrong IMR powder for what I wanted to reload. I realized it within the hour and took it back to the shop, where I had been buying literally for years.

Even though they knew me, they were still very hesitant to take the powder back. Gib would only take it back after I swore on a stack of bibles that I had not opened the can.

I exchanged it for a can of the right powder, and we were fine, but the only reason he let me exchange it was because both my Father and I had been buying there for years.

I am in no way a "conspiracy theorist" or paranoid schitzo, but it certainly wouldn't stop some warped idiot from mixing cannisters in the store. A lot of places I buy powder have it behind the counter, and the Post Falls Cabela's has empty cans out for display, but there are a couple of places where the powder is on the shelf and accessable to customers.
Old March 17, 2010, 01:39 PM   #30
riverwalker76

I took it back to the dealer today so that he could return it to Western Powder. I walked in and handed him the powder and told him who it goes to. He then asked me ... "Why did you say anything?"

I looked at him with a surprised look, and he said that he had to pull his entire line of Accurate 2230, and he didn't know why I didn't just keep my mouth shut. I told him that I wasn't even going to dignify that comment with an answer and I walked out.

Can you believe that? He's mad at me for saying something to Accurate. Can you imagine the consequences of NOT saying something? This dealer is clearly just worried about his bottom dollar and could care less about the safety of his customers.
Old March 17, 2010, 01:42 PM   #31
Badgerloader

good catch and an excellent safety reminder
Old March 17, 2010, 02:12 PM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

That dealer is an ignoramus. In his shoes, I sure would have pulled a couple off the shelf and opened them and looked inside. If your's was the only one that looked that way, this was store sabotage or store owner repackaging that went awry.

We once had an Ohio Gun Collectors Association gun show back in the late 80's in which a gun discharged (.22 rim fire into the ceiling, fortunately). The show organizers immediately got on the PA and had everyone with guns out on their tables open and check them for live rounds. Several .22 rim fires were found with live rounds in them. Teenagers or anti-gun saboteurs; we never learned? I suspect the latter. It was the beginning of Nylon ties so nobody could check trigger feel again after that.

Mike Irwin,

Accurate sells a couple of extruded flake shotgun powders that used to be the Scot brand before the Scot stick powder plant burned down. They are Solo 1000 and Solo 1250. Made somewhere on the Continent; Belgium maybe, but I've forgotten? (And I don't know what became of Royal Scot powder?) Their sphericals are all made in Israel, I believe? In any event, you don't want your fast shotgun flakes mixed in with your 2230, and that photo clearly showed powders made by two different processes, and not just the flattened form spheres you sometimes get in spherical propellants. Stratification would be a real issue. The only safeguard would be that extruded flakes are usually too bulky to fit in the case if weighed to the 2230 charge level. Case overflow would likely be your first clue, if the Solo powders are what those were? If it was sabotage or careless repackaging, then they could be anyone's flakes. All the 2230 I've ever used looked like the first photo.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; March 17, 2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old March 17, 2010, 02:32 PM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nick,

Yep, already figured that out. I'd forgotten that they picked up the Scot line of powders back in the 1990s.

Riverwalker,

Find a new shop. I wouldn't spend any more money in that place.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 17, 2010, 05:15 PM   #34
riverwalker76

I've got a couple of buddies together, and we are going to start ordering bulk from a place I know of. With 40# of powder and 4 boxes of primers we can beat the heck out of tax ... even with the hazmat fee!
Old March 17, 2010, 05:19 PM   #35
steve4102

Somethin Ain't right with this dealer! He's ****** off cuz you called Accurate about a potentially deadly situation. Nope, doesn't make sense, I think he has more to do with this bad jug of powder that he is letting on. My guess is he knows exactly what went down with this powder. Something or someone in his shop. I would call Accurate back and let them know what this idiot had to say. Odds are your original jug of powder will never make it back to Accurate.
Old March 17, 2010, 06:34 PM   #36
riverwalker76

Oh, Accurate knows about my dealings with him. I documented everything with them. I even tamper proofed the can before I took it back, and only the rep and I know how to tell if it's been tampered with.

For the trouble that I had to go through with this guy ... the rep really sweetened the deal. He informed me this afternoon that because of all of the trouble I've gone through in getting this back to him he is going to be sending me a 'care package'. Don't know what that means, but we'll see when it gets here.
Old March 17, 2010, 08:39 PM   #37
SQUAREKNOT

I got a "care package" for WAY LESS than what you did that turned out to be triple the bad powder. I hope you do better-you should! Hope you had
a 20# keg
Old March 17, 2010, 10:28 PM   #38
jimkim

A lot number would have been nice. I guess Accurate will eventually let us know something. I hope no one looses an eye, or worse.
Old March 23, 2010, 06:53 PM   #39
riverwalker76

Update:

I got my care package from Accurate today!

It consisted of 8 lbs. of 2230, and a box with every item they carry under their Montana Xtreme name. I'm anxious to try some of these cleaning supplies. I've heard they are Premium compared to the CLP I've been using.

So, in my opinion, Western Powder has done a good job of reimbursing me for my pound of bad powder.

The gentleman I spoke to last week said he is going to keep me posted on the bad powder situation when he gets it back.
Old March 23, 2010, 07:47 PM   #40
Sevens

Niiiiiice!
Old March 24, 2010, 12:10 AM   #41
Tex S

Quote:
Update:

I got my care package from Accurate today!

It consisted of 8 lbs. of 2230, and a box with every item they carry under their Montana Xtreme name. I'm anxious to try some of these cleaning supplies. I've heard they are Premium compared to the CLP I've been using.

So, in my opinion, Western Powder has done a good job of reimbursing me for my pound of bad powder.

The gentleman I spoke to last week said he is going to keep me posted on the bad powder situation when he gets it back.

That kinda makes me wish I would've gotten a pound of bad powder! Guess those guys have some good customer service.
Old March 24, 2010, 12:20 AM   #42
grubbylabs

Nice customer service. I too would be looking for a new place to buy from.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old March 24, 2010, 08:43 AM   #43
fhwiggins

The flakes look like the 800sx I load in my 380 auto.
Old March 24, 2010, 10:40 AM   #44
F. Guffey

Bruce Hodgdon came to our house in the mid 60s, long story, from that day on his advise was to never purchase a can of his powder unless it was sealed, before that powder was available in a paper bag and unsealed containers, he had what he thought was a problem, one very serious, the good part the two incidents were not related.

F. Guffey
Old March 24, 2010, 10:57 AM   #45
mrawesome22

A co-worker told me he was going to give me some red dot he found in his Grandfather's basement. He brought it in and it was in a brown paper bag with "Red Dot" barely legible on it. I said "Thanks, but no thanks."
Old March 24, 2010, 09:34 PM   #46
javven

Awesome

I'm sorry you had a problem. However... I'm glad it was you. Can you imagine someone loading for their first time....

Either way. Stuff happens. It sounds like the MFG took good care of you.
Old March 24, 2010, 09:47 PM   #47
riverwalker76

YEah, Accurate / Western Powder took really good care of me. I'm looking into buying more of their powder in the future. The fact that it's the most affordable on the market today helps a lot as well.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:48 PM   #48
riverwalker76

UPDATE

I just spoke to the rep who received the faulty powder back, and they are doing analysis on it. He did say that they got it separated out, and it's not a powder that they carry!

He said that it looks as though someone tampered with the bottle somewhere in transit or at the place where I bought it to begin with.

At any rate they are waiting on the lab results to find out exactly who made the powder that was mixed in. He did say that they have isolated it to this bottle alone, and it was not present anywhere else.

This is scary if you think about it.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:52 PM   #49
Scrapperz

It sure is scary. I have always wondered about such situations. Good thing you observed the mixed powder right away.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:24 PM   #50
Sevens

I'm trying to approach this from a reasonable standpoint...

I'm thinking that someone must have had the bottle and accidentally mixed something in... then somehow, returned the bottle.

Because it seems to me that if someone was trying to do something obnoxious, dangerous or outright lethal -- he'd simply switch the entire contents out from a slow burning rifle powder to a very fast pistol powder.

I've seen a demo of Bullseye put in to a .300 Win Mag cartridge and fired in a T/C Encore... it was pure shrapnel and sent in many directions.