The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Tatsumi67

12 guage skeet gun needed

A friend of mine, an accomplished trap shooter, is in an odd spot. The team has started to do skeet shooting as well, and he only has an older semi, that cannot take chokes.

We hunted around at a recent show and couldnt find anything definitive.

He says he wants a shorter barrel, supposedly better. Any suggestions?
is a Saiga legal for competition?
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old April 27, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
dalecooper51

What sort of action does he want and how much does he want to spend?
Old April 27, 2009, 07:35 PM   #3
zoomie

The hardware requirements/legalities depend on what competition you're interested in. Here are the IPSC rules: www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesShotgun.pdf

I recently picked up a 26" 20ga Citori and it's a great skeet gun with the right chokes. I looked at the Beretta 391s and only went with the O/U because my wife preferred them over the auto.

Of course those are both "higher end" shotguns than what you necessarily need. An 1100 or 11-87 (or even 870 if you want a challenge) would likely serve you quite well. I've got a CZ 28ga that's a really nice shooting gun and it was quite a bit less than a comparable Browning or Beretta. I replaced it for games because I felt the 28 handicapped me more than my skill could compensate. The nice thing with the O/U is that you get the same barrel length (velocity) for less overall length (better feel I think) and your hulls aren't sent all over the field (easier cleanup).
Old April 27, 2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Technosavant

I went from a Remington 1100 to a 870 Tactical (with the Knoxx SpecOps stock) and my skeet scores immediately went up by a few birds (it fits better). I do similarly as well with my Saiga 12; I mounted a Kobra red dot on it and I'm looking forward to seeing if that is useful as well.

I'm just not happy unless I can horrify somebody on the skeet range with my riot guns.
Old April 27, 2009, 08:58 PM   #5
sholling

I've always been a lot better at trap than skeet but I think I'd want a 26" O/U or a very fast semiauto like a Benelli. I used a Benelli M1 for trap. I'm actually considering a Stoeger Condor or Stoeger 2000 (poor man's Benelli M1) because of the reviews and the price. I haven't had a hands on with either yet so I'm musing not endorsing.

Last edited by sholling; April 27, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old April 27, 2009, 11:04 PM   #6
zippy13

When someone asks for a Skeet gun recommendation, the first thing I want to know is their level of experience. General experience with a shotgun, and specific experience with a comp gun (if any). Depending on their experience, budget, and expectations, my recommendation could be anything from a entry level pump to a $25K custom comp gun.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that your definition of "an accomplished trap shooter" in describing your friend is different from mine. The key factor being his use of a semi-auto. In trap circles an "accomplished shooter" is usually a AA / 27-yard man. I've competed in ATA trap, and never seen anyone shoot AA and 27-yards with a semi-auto. One of my gun club buddies was a AA / 27-yard shooter with a Ljutic. When he added NSSA skeet to his competition schedule, it was appropriate that his first skeet gun was a Perazzi. I started in NSSA skeet, and made the mistake of getting a R-1100 Trap when I added ATA. The R-1100 was replaced during my first ATA season by a Beretta Trap Combo.

Typically, someone who starts out with a semi auto will have up graded to a trap specific gun well before he gets punched up to AA and back to 27-yards. I'm guessing you friend may hold his own at club shoots, but isn't a serious ATA-type competitor. And, he'll probably shoot skeet with the same intensity.

You didn't mention which auto-loader is presently being used. As your friend mentioned, perhaps a simple change to a skeet barrel will suffice. He wouldn't be the first club shooter to use one gun with two barrels for trap and skeet.
Old April 28, 2009, 11:39 AM   #7
oneounceload

You said it can't take chokes - does that mean it is currently a fixed choke? If that's all there is, then contact Briley or someone similar and have them thread the barrel for chokes, get a selection foe trap and skeet, and you're good to go. A lot cheaper than a new gun
Old April 28, 2009, 04:59 PM   #8
LordofWar

If he's really serious about skeet, the best thing that he would do to himself is to buy a Beretta Trident DT-10.

The gun is made for Skeet.

Alternately if he wants a semi auto a Beretta AL391 Tenknys Gold Sporting for skeet would be the best choice.

Skeet involves high volume shooting or you'll never figure out front from rear. You need a gun which can withstand high volume shooting and gives you a low recoil or it's going to be a night with you rubbing some chinese balm on your sore shoulder (unless you have someone interesting to do such a job )
Old April 28, 2009, 05:00 PM   #9
LordofWar

For trap I would recommend a Beretta 692 E Gold.
Old April 28, 2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

I would buy this one.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=127636899
Old April 28, 2009, 05:45 PM   #11
Brad Clodfelter
Registration in progress

This one would probably be a little lighter being just a 2 and 3/4in chamber.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=127564105
Old April 28, 2009, 05:48 PM   #12
zippy13

LordofWar
Sadly the Beretta on-line catalog gives little specific info on the Trident DT-10. It appears to be a Perazzi wanna be with its drop out trigger. From the limited on-line specs, I couldn't see why the skeet model lists for $500 more than the trap gun. Do you have a clue?
Before the OP's friend puts out the $$$ for a Trident DT-10, he needs some more experience on the skeet field to accurately evaluate his requirements. One should already have the front from the rear well figured out long before stepping up to a gun like the Trident DT-10. There are many guns made for skeet, and each is uniquely different from the others.
Do you have a Trident DT-10 Skeet and, if so, what did you shoot previously for skeet?
Old April 28, 2009, 06:14 PM   #13
LordofWar

Quote:
LordofWar
Sadly the Beretta on-line catalog gives little specific info on the Trident DT-10. It appears to be a Perazzi wanna be with its drop out trigger. From the limited on-line specs, I couldn't see why the skeet model lists for $500 more than the trap gun. Do you have a clue?
Before the OP's friend puts out the $$$ for a Trident DT-10, he needs some more experience on the skeet field to accurately evaluate his requirements. One should already have the front from the rear well figured out long before stepping up to a gun like the Trident DT-10. There are many guns made for skeet, and each is uniquely different from the others.
Do you have a Trident DT-10 Skeet and, if so, what did you shoot previously for skeet?
This is one reason I started my sentence with the following:

If he's really serious about skeet

For if he's not heck he could use a Mossy Maverick for bursting clays sake.

Beretta 682 E Gold is now prefered any fine day over a Perazzi by professional trap guys.

I own a Trident for skeet. Previously I was using H&H Royal O/U which was a field gun. After seeing I was becoming more of a regular at skeet the senior guys at the cub advised me to buy a Trident DT-10 or 682 E which I did.

Trident-DT10 for skeet & 682 EEL G for trap.
Old April 28, 2009, 07:59 PM   #14
BigJimP

+1 on what Zippy said...

we need more info on the experience of this shooter before making any serious recommendations.

If he is really experienced Trap shooter - he should already know what his:

Length of Pull is
what he likes and dislikes in his Trap gun
what kind of comb specs he wants
what he wants for the weight of a gun
will he want a tube set
will he want a gun that can be ordered with a carrier barrel for the tubes

but like Zippy said - there just are not any serious Trap shooters - shooting semi-autos / so something isn't ringing true here ....

A DT-10 may be ok
A Browning XS Skeet may be ok
A Perazzi may be ok
A Krieghoff or a Kolar may be what he really wants / needs...
he will certainly need something with screw in chokes in it
how does he want to shoot sub-gagues