The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2000, 08:06 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

There was this stage the cowboys up in Cincinnati, Ohio had was great. Shoot this activated small pie target with your rifle. When hit it released a larger pie target that slid down a cable at 45 degrees. Put down rifle when hit, Draw pistol when activated and shoot five times before pie target stopped. I could have shot that all day it was so much fun. Have you got a favorite stage you care to share?
Old January 21, 2000, 10:34 AM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Ned,

I'd have to say that my favorite stage was one where a rifle,pistol and shotgun were staged on the line,unloaded. There was one target for each gun,and each gun had to be fired at least once. The shooter had to decide how he or she was going to shoot the 18 shots the stage required,and place the ammo on the table at the line. Then,all guns were loaded and fired on the clock. There was much discussion about the most efficient way to shoot the stage,and a variety of methods were used. Ultimately,the fastest shooters were ones using '97s and shooting a lot of shotgun rounds.

Bellicose Bill
Old January 21, 2000, 01:48 PM   #3
Trigger Jerk

I'll admit right out front that I'm a little partial cause I wrote the stage and built the props, but it was a kick. We used it as a side match.
Here's the scenerio. You are sitting in jail, when the buzzer sounds you reach through the bars and pull the pistol (toy) from the sleeping sherriff leaned against your cell, and pop him over the head. then you grab a broom stick and retrieve the key from a nail on the wall. You unlock the cell and enter the main "office" but before you can shoot you have to get out of your jail clothes.

We have a talented seamstress that actualy made a black and white striped "jail" suit, including the little cap that everyone had to wear at the start. It was hilarious watching people try to get undressed a fast as possible. The shooting on this stage was purely incidental.
Old January 21, 2000, 01:53 PM   #4
Trigger Jerk

Sorry...I got to include this one...

last year we had a side match that was ladies versus the men. I and another feller ducked behind our vehicle and changed into our gals outfit. I wore a wig and have a mustache, and he has a full beard. It was pretty darn funny. Every body got a kick out of it, but you probably had to be there.

BTW the "ladies" won that shooting contest.
Old January 21, 2000, 11:38 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Bill, I shot that match. And still haven't figured out the best way to shoot it. But its lots of fun trying. Trigger Jerk, I shot one very similar. 1) You are in jail at sound ,take broom reach across hall and get keys off wall. There are about twelve keys and only one unlocks the door. Then race to sheriffs boot. Pull out another set of keys. Here there are about six keys. Again, only one opens the lock to the trunk where your loaded guns have been placed. Retrieve guns and shoot targets. Loads of fun!!